Any Woodworkers Aboot?

When I was down South a saw came up for sale on my local FB sale group.
Since I was out of town I didn't bother contacting the seller. Was looking through the ads and it was still up so I contacted the seller and bought it. Had my friend pick it up for me since I am in isolation until the 20th of December. Paid the dude via EMT. All went great and I now have a saw I've wanted for quite a few years. We had one back East in our work shops of a few houses and I missed having one as they are very useful for cabinet making. OH, and the price? $100!!!! Great deal.
  ;D

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by DRIFTER_016
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, captpierre said:

Kinda been replaced by sliding mitre saw. Why do you prefer it?

Yep, my thoughts as well. Those radial arm saws were great for cabinets though. A sliding mitre saw won't make a cut long enough. My 12" might get 16"....

3 minutes ago, Sinker said:

Yep, my thoughts as well. Those radial arm saws were great for cabinets though. A sliding mitre saw won't make a cut long enough. My 12" might get 16"....

Ya can not rip a piece of plywood through that miter saw . That saw will do much more then just rip a piece of wood.

I would love to do wood working, I tried, believe me I tried. I saw my 16 month younger kid brother build a magnificent wall unit in dad's workshop and we carried it up the stairs and into his truck then up the elevator in the high rise to my new sis in law and he rented a 2 bedroom apt. He did a magnificent job. That was 1978, he still has it. Absolutly gorgious burled walnut. I wonder what a 4'X8' sheet of that goes for today? The unit I made was turned into a small dinette table by my father in law not long after I tried my best at wood working. It was never really used as a wall unit as it had to be deconstructed to get it out of the basement. I knew my limitations early in life. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

My former wife wanted to know why I didn't make her wonderful things from wood like her Dad makes everyone in th family. I told her that I was sure shewasn't aware that he had amassed a collection of power tools from lathes, planners, machines that made dato's and dove tails. A collection that would make Norm Abrhams drool over and Norm don't drool. That plus I had no idea how to use the things.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On 12/14/2020 at 2:35 AM, Old Ironmaker said:

I would love to do wood working, I tried, believe me I tried

Sounds like me.

Now give me some metal, a welder, and a plasma cutter; I'd be a happy camper. Those wood saws like to bite and take fingers. The worse thing with welding is an occasional burn. Mind you it does get intense when a hot chunk of slag goes down your shirt, finds its way past your belt line and then stops to talk to the boys!!!

Picture this sped up 3-4 times

Dan

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, DanD said:

Those wood saws like to bite and take fingers.

Dan

I'm always very respectful of power tools but one day I was running a board thru a table saw and I spose I got it twisted and the darned thing shot back and hit my hand, then bounce up and knocked a tool off the wall and then dented my furnace.

The pain in my hand was excruciating and I was afraid to look down as I was sure I'd taken my hand off. I lucked out though and it was just a hard knock but I still think of that day every time I fire up the saw.

1 hour ago, lew said:

I'm always very respectful of power tools but one day I was running a board thru a table saw and I spose I got it twisted and the darned thing shot back and hit my hand, then bounce up and knocked a tool off the wall and then dented my furnace.

The pain in my hand was excruciating and I was afraid to look down as I was sure I'd taken my hand off. I lucked out though and it was just a hard knock but I still think of that day every time I fire up the saw.

Very true Lew.  When I show someone how to use a certain power tool I always tell them that the tool don’t care if your the nicest person in the whole.  If you don’t respect it then it may mess you up permanently.  I knew a guy one time a few years ago who had no fingers.  He told me he was using his table saw in his garage and his neighbour came out of nowhere and scared him.  

On 12/13/2020 at 3:25 PM, misfish said:

Ya can not rip a piece of plywood through that miter saw . That saw will do much more then just rip a piece of wood.

Absolutely! I've used them all. I can't throw the radial in my truck though, so it has limitations too. I need one of everything....lol....kind of like guitars, fishing rods, duck decoys, boats.....

S. 

5 hours ago, LostAnotherOne said:

I knew a guy one time a few years ago who had no fingers.  

Off topic, sorry Dave, but a  neighbors brother picked up his lawnmower with his fingers under each side of the housing last year while it was still running and removed the tips of all 8 fingers.

Sometimes you just need to scratch your head.

On 12/14/2020 at 10:17 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

Can't cut dados with a sliding mitre saw.  ;)

Oh, yes you can... spacer off the fence and roll up the plunge control. 

I had a radial arm saw and got rid of it when I got a good table saw. They  scare me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When doing pre job meetings with subs at the plant I asked the carpenters to hold up both hands. Eventually someone would ask me why. I said if you are a carpenter and have all your fingers you are either slow or new at it. 

I think many know guys with fingers missing because they wanted to work on electric lawnmowers that were pluged in. Everyone knows to tell an 8 year old to unplug a lawnmower and "do not plug it in till I tell ya'. " And those instructions from a guy responsible for the health and safety of a up to 100 workers and operating a 100 million $$$ facilty at $1000.00 a minute downtime. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker