Trolling rod, planer board, downrigger advice

I am in need of assistance in spending my hard earned money - LOL.  Since I have zero confidence of there being any equipment when it comes time to put the boat in the water I am buying everything I need to outfit my boat over the winter - as I find it.  

I'm in the process of outfitting my new fishing boat and I want to get some trolling rods.  I just bought a 2017 Renegade 168DC and it has two 3 foot Cannon rails down both gunnels.  On this rail I am mounting 4 x Scotty Power Lock rod holders using the Scotty 340 track adapters.  I presently have one dipsey rod set up - 9' MH rod with a Diawa AccuDepth 27LCB reel.  I am looking at running planer boards on Erie - so I am also looking for advice on these as well. 

But right now I want to know what you are using for trolling rods on Erie?  I did buy another two Diawa AccuDepth 27LCB reels but I am not sure what rods I should get - some guys say medium and others say MH.  Whatever I get I would like to use the same rods on my planer boards and my downriggers when I get a pair of them - can that even be done??

Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions on this so far?   

Thanks in advance.

Boat1.JPG

Erie?  Medium.   You're reeling in drift socks all day, no way I've be fishing MH out there.   I use medium Okuma GLTs for early season board fishing on Lake Ontario.  Super cheap and do the job, also double up for Gbay salmon/trout fishing as well.  

As for downriggers, Scotty would be my choice.  Grab a set of the 1106s or 1116s (Dual rod holders) and you'll be set.  Add some 15lb weights and you're golden.   

Are you planning on running a mast or inline boards?  If inline there are a bunch of choices (Church, Offshore, etc)

I ran Ambassedeur 5500's on Fenwick 8 wt fiberglass fly blanks built as riggerstiks,  loaded with 10 pound Trilene XT for all the time I fished Erie for Pickerel, they were more than adequate. Actually ran them for spring salmon too ,  a few 25 pound Kings came in on them too. Switched to 10 weight blanks  and 6500's loaded with 14 XT for the big ones in the summer.

4 minutes ago, dave524 said:

I ran Ambassedeur 5500's on Fenwick 8 wt fiberglass fly blanks built as riggerstiks,  loaded with 10 pound Trilene XT for all the time I fished Erie for Pickerel, they were more than adequate. Actually ran them for spring salmon too ,  a few 25 pound Kings came in on them too. Switched to 10 weight blanks  and 6500's loaded with 14 XT for the big ones in the summer.

I still run Fenwick Riggerstix to this day, I wish I could find a few more.   So much fun, especially when you're fishing for kings.  

On 12/8/2020 at 11:43 AM, BillM said:

I still run Fenwick Riggerstix to this day, I wish I could find a few more.   So much fun, especially when you're fishing for kings.  

Back in the day Lorne Green of L.G. Custom Tackle in Mount Hope told me the original Riggerstix were built on the brown fibreglass 10 wt. fly rod blanks when Fenwick/ Woodstream was in Niagara Falls , maybe you can source something similar if anyone still makes glass rod blanks.

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

Rods don't need to be fancy, but don't skimp out on the reels. They take a beating. 

I use shimano TDR's. Got them for $20 each at CT on sale lol....they work great. 

I prefer the church boards (orange ones) personally. I just find them easier to get off when reeling in a fish. 

I'm assuming your running lead cores? 

S. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 3:36 PM, Sinker said:

Rods don't need to be fancy, but don't skimp out on the reels. They take a beating. 

I use shimano TDR's. Got them for $20 each at CT on sale lol....they work great. 

I prefer the church boards (orange ones) personally. I just find them easier to get off when reeling in a fish. 

I'm assuming your running lead cores? 

S. 

Was never a fan of online boards. Ran a pair of homemade double boards off a mast in the front of the boats and releases were simply a box of rubber bands and shower curtain rings, the K.I.S.S. principle.

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

Was never a fan of online boards. Ran a pair of homemade double boards off a mast in the front of the boats and releases were simply a box of rubber bands and shower curtain rings, the K.I.S.S. principle.

If its not too rough, they work awesome. The big boards are great too, but its easier to switch things up with the inines. 

S. 

• Like 1

Well i fish Erie and Lake Ontario,  i don't like long rods (easier to net fish with short rods) i have 8 of the 7 foot 1 piece Ugly Stik in Both med and mh they are indestructible,  you need a good reel with the line counters. I have the Tekotta 300 LC on all my rods but have 2 of the Okuma Coldwater 203D and for the price an excellent choice. As far as boards everyone has the Offshore brand but once you upgrade to the tattle flags and clips they are pricey (Franks great outdoors has the best deal on the boards with the upgrades) in 20 years i have lost 2 boards and because i put my name on them i got 1 back so its not like you are buying them yearly. I second the Scotty riggers, can't go wrong with them. Where were all you guys when i sold my Rigger Sticks? Don't buy cheap crap....in the end it only costs you more when you upgrade to the stuff you should have bought the first time.....nice boat, enjoy

Edited by Yellow Fever

16 hours ago, 410001661 said:

Aaaah crap........no I got Medium.  I was hoping to have two rods I can use on planer boards and on my downriggers when I eventually get them.  I have a 3rd rod for my dipsey set up and it is MH

You'll be fine with Mediums.

Well, not to be a "Richard", but if you are dragging in-line boards and behind that, say something like a Mann's Stretch 20 or 30, that medium rod is going to be loaded down pretty good. If you're running dipsey's, the big ones and a fairly large crank, again, your rod will be loaded down.

You will probably be ok, just be sure that your drag system is working well, cause when a the big one hits, that's all you have between you and the fish.

HH

On 12/17/2020 at 11:34 AM, Headhunter said:

Well, not to be a "Richard", but if you are dragging in-line boards and behind that, say something like a Mann's Stretch 20 or 30, that medium rod is going to be loaded down pretty good. If you're running dipsey's, the big ones and a fairly large crank, again, your rod will be loaded down.

You will probably be ok, just be sure that your drag system is working well, cause when a the big one hits, that's all you have between you and the fish.

HH

I use the exact same rods for pulling boards and lead core/snap weights and they are just about perfect. I'd suggest a couple heavier for dipsies though.....and longer.....like 10 footers.  

S. 

On 12/19/2020 at 9:47 AM, Sinker said:

I use the exact same rods for pulling boards and lead core/snap weights and they are just about perfect. I'd suggest a couple heavier for dipsies though.....and longer.....like 10 footers.  

S. 

My Dipsey rod is a Medium Heavy with the same Diawa reel