Will marinas set up electric charging stations ?

misfish

13 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

lmao you guys are now coming  up with conspiracy theories to debunk an electric motor that doesnt exist yet?

I guess Tesla's have secret two stroke motors running them too lol

The richest part about this entire debate is the fact that all of us already have 3-4 giant lead batteries in our boats already, yet were debating whether putting batteries in your boat is a good idea hahaha.

What do people want from outboards? holeshot and top end. Guess what electric engines have? Basically unlimited tourque, no power band and a hypothetical unlimited top end. 

What do boats also do? travel in very relatively short distances. No one drives their boat 300km in a single day unless its a very very weird circumstance.

If you have somehow convinced yourself that no one is going to attempt to embrace these facts then you probably also think tesla is going to go out of business lol.

Electric vehicles are heavier than gas powered ones.  That is a bigger disadvantage in boats than it is for cars & trucks.

Electric vehicles are also more expensive upfront, but are cheaper to run.  But since most people don't put nearly as many miles on their boats as they do on their cars & trucks, there won't be nearly as many savings in operating costs to offset the initial purchase price.

I think it will be a long time before fully electric boats are common.  

14 hours ago, 410001661 said:

Been in a Tesla S.......pretty cool car.  Not saying EV's cannot be fun but unpractical as your main vehicle.   They are a wealthy family status grocery getter.  

nothing "wealthy family" about a $69,000 pick up when dodge is trying to sell 1500's for 79k now and chevys are 100k

and give your head a shake...you are talking about the boating industry in this thread lol...think about what you are saying.

Edited by AKRISONER

15 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I’m shocked you don’t like the interior. I absolutely love it. And yup I don’t want it to be delivered for a few years my current truck only has 130k on it at the moment.

your comment about fast? The ones I got to ride in were the fastest cars I’d ever been in. The amount of tourque off of the line was absolutely insane.

The interior in my 11 year old BMW is better then any Tesla I've been in.   That's the one place where they're really lacking, especially for the price range.  

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

nothing "wealthy family" about a $69,000 pick up when dodge is trying to sell 1500's for 79k now and chevys are 100k

and give your head a shake...you are talking about the boating industry in this thread lol...think about what you are saying.

Tesla has not confirmed the pricing yet.  I am not sure but I would think that a $69,000 grocery getter is definitely a status symbol.  Would you would not drive it to go Moose Hunting in Thunder Bay........then it is a grocery getter.  

Edited by 410001661

I'm sure that one day electric boats will be the standard, but that day is still a long ways off. 

Torqeedo makes an 80 hp equivalent electric outboard which you can buy right now. It costs €39,000, or around $60,000 Canadian. Fortunately it comes with the two batteries needed to run it, which weigh approx. 300 pounds apiece. Per Torqeedo's website, maximum range on a full charge is around 12 hours, but that's based on running at 4 mph. At full throttle, it runs out of juice in 25 - 30 minutes. That's based on summer temperatures, by the way. As with all batteries, performance falls off in colder conditions.

That Torqeedo motor has been on the market for six years now, so it's not like the price will drop once it gets out there. Boats are not like cars, the volumes required to drive prices down simply do not exist in the marine industry. And because pushing a boat through water takes a lot more energy than it does to roll a car on wheels, performance comparisons to automotive are just not valid.

As far as marinas go, I can't see any of them eating the cost of installing charging stations until there is steady, consistent demand for it.

Edited by craigdritchie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I checked and yes, you can pre-order a Tesla Cybertruck for $150 😆  I think I put more down when I ordered a new MacBook Pro for my daughter.

I bet they kept that price so low because when they finally tell you what the cost will be for the truck 80% of the people will back out of the deal and ask for their deposit.......errr....$150 back.

In all seriousness there are some great EV's out there but I just do not think they will displace pickups or SUV's as our primary vehicle in the near future.  Electric boats.....not in the foreseeable future and electric planes not until another battery technology becomes affordable.  I would not get in a plane that has a 30min range and a 30min reserve 🤔

Edited by 410001661
  • Like 1

Tesla has to keep the price low for the purpose of proof of concept. The first generation owners get a discount because Tesla needs people to go and take their truck and drive it and show everyone that holy cow an electric pickup truck is a real thing and that it works and does the things that most pickup trucks can do if not better? Heck anything at this point would be better than my ram which is in the shop once again...

When gas prices inevitably hit 1.30 a litre again in 2022 when the economy is booming like its post ww2 with the pandemic over will the V8 drivers that front their own gas bills be thinking that not paying that gas bill is such a crazy idea? 

Everyone seemingly in this thread is exactly the reason Tesla has to eat cost to launch its vehicles. Without a belief in the technology and proof of concept you are never going to convert the gas guzzling pick up truck driver. Why do you think tesla has invested such absurd amounts of money installing their super chargers everywhere? Critical mass is literally the biggest challenge that the electric vehicle faces. Whats incredible is that Tesla is pulling it off it just has failed to convert everyone yet. Cars were the first and most common sense market to tackle. Trucks, planes, ATV's etc etc are whats next.

Much like outdoor power equipment, the conversion is swift once the proof of concept is proven in the market. Take a poll of how many people would buy a gas vs electric auger for ice fishing if they had the budget for it? 10 years ago this wasnt even on anyone's radar.

Ill also mention that Tesla's ability to get 650,000 people to give them $150 for something that doesnt even exist yet, nor will it exist for many more years is far different than a deposit on an item that you will get in short turn. Im not even a "tesla freak" some people are obsessed with elon musk and all that he does, im a 2 stroke outboard driving, diesel truck owning dude with a 2 stroke snowmobile and gas auger! I just like many others (including a hell of a lot of people that buy stocks apparently) think that Tesla is on to something. They are making something that seemed futuristic, impossible, paradigm shifting and game changing right before our eyes. Youd never seen an electric car on the roads 10 years ago...my my how things have changed...in a very very short amount of time.

Edited by AKRISONER

I wanna see a CT with a truck camper in the back or a 5th wheel with my Lund attached drive up Hwy 17 and see how far it makes it before I need to stop for 45mins and recharge, lol.   I think the CT is a wet dream and it's going to be more of a status symbol then anything else.  It will make trips to Home Depot to pick up curtains.   You're not going to see this thing on job sites or anywhere that requires a 'real' truck.  This is all just one persons opinion, so take that with a grain of salt.  

The thing is electric motors aren't anything new, how long have bow and transom mount TM's been around for?   Do people think Tesla is the first to think of an electric outboard?  

Edited by BillM
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, BillM said:

The thing is electric motors aren't anything new, how long have bow and transom mount TM's been around for?   Do people think Tesla is the first to think of an electric outboard?  

this is what makes chuckle...one person in this thread commented, well i dont need power and hole shot, i drive my boat around slowly all day...an electric motor cant do that 😬

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

this is what makes chuckle...one person in this thread commented, well i dont need power and hole shot, i drive my boat around slowly all day...an electric motor cant do that 😬

Yes, that was me, but I don't think I would be pushing my boat around all day downrigging electrically.  When you're 6-7 miles out, you do need the bigger motor to get you back