Will marinas set up electric charging stations ?

misfish

Give it 10 years and you will see a lot of these on the water. I guarantee it. Unlimited tourque and the total lack of need for you to drive 400km per trip will allow for them to find the sweet spot between weight and power. 

Just like lawn equipment, boat motors will soon be going electric too. 

As with electric cars the only limitation is the infrastructure to support this technology.  I could not find any specs on the battery capacity but I would assume it would be close to that of a small/midsize EV).  A level 2 EVSE operates at 7.2kW @ 240V and takes approximately 8-15hrs to fully charge a battery of a PEV (plug in electric vehicle) or PHEV (plug in hybrid electric vehicle).  This does not make much sense to put Leve 2 charging stations at marinas unless you are leaving your boat there overnight.  

Now if you want a fast charge 20-45min charge you can install a Level 3 ESVE.  Level 3 ESVE's are very expensive to buy and provide the infrastructure to operate.  A level 3 EVSE are in the $40,000 - $60,000 range and will require 600V input (@ +/- 200A) per charging station.  That is close to the size of most marina's main service - if they can even get 600V.  Plus the EVSE's will need to be GFI protected due to the proximity of the water.    

I would not expect to see these are marinas any time soon.  

• Like 3

When you run out of electrons on the lake,  are you going to try and stuff the Pink Bunny into your battery.   Gov't keeps telling us to use less power but all you see is mountains of electric powered junk coming across the Pacific to fill our dumps.  Might be ok for very small inland lakes, even  then only useful for maybe 6-7 months of the year.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 9:45 PM, irishfield said:

Be right up there with the electric Beaver in BC. After batteries and pilot (and a skinny one at that) there is nothing left in the allowable gross weight for cargo or passengers!

I guess I'd be too big to ride an electric Beaver then.   😉

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

I'd like to see under that engine cover.
Did anyone else think it was a little bit noisy for an electric motor?

Sounds just like most new 4 strokes to me with a new ECO paint job...  

• Like 1

lmao you guys are now coming  up with conspiracy theories to debunk an electric motor that doesnt exist yet?

I guess Tesla's have secret two stroke motors running them too lol

The richest part about this entire debate is the fact that all of us already have 3-4 giant lead batteries in our boats already, yet were debating whether putting batteries in your boat is a good idea hahaha.

What do people want from outboards? holeshot and top end. Guess what electric engines have? Basically unlimited tourque, no power band and a hypothetical unlimited top end. 

What do boats also do? travel in very relatively short distances. No one drives their boat 300km in a single day unless its a very very weird circumstance.

If you have somehow convinced yourself that no one is going to attempt to embrace these facts then you probably also think tesla is going to go out of business lol.

12 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

What do people want from outboards? holeshot and top end. Guess what electric engines have? Basically unlimited tourque, no power band and a hypothetical unlimited top end. 

What do boats also do? travel in very relatively short distances. No one drives their boat 300km in a single day unless its a very very weird circumstance.

I wouldn't roll everyone into the same ball of wax, I have no need for holeshot and top end.  I get up 10 minutes earlier and take my time, I don't have the "look at me" affliction, and there can be days when trolling/downrigging that you can be out for more than a couple hours and cover quite some distance.

On 12/5/2020 at 3:28 PM, John Bacon said:

I guess I'd be too big to ride an electric Beaver then.   😉

I'm gonna steal a post I made on another site for this.  This is a feel food story.  Read the story and you will find that the plane only has a 30min flight time with a 30 min reserve.  A standard Beaver with a radial engine can haul 2,000lbs and has a range of 550 Nautical Miles (Max is 608 Nautical Miles).  That is a far cry from 30min of flight time.

They do the same thing with the electric vehicles..........

People need to separate the feel good (emotional), and practicality of green energy and EV's. Companies have agenda's with EV's - Electrical OEM's support this technology because they want to expand their traditional electrical market and sell the EV Chargers. Knowing this will add additional burden to your electrical infrastructure they are more than willing to sell you new electrical equipment or to facilitate your upgrade and this is where they have an opportunity to make Millions. They are NOT doing this to be good corporate citizens, they are doing this because they have a horse in the race.

Look at this story
https://www.auto123.com/en/news/eato...da-tour/21113/

Sounds amazing doesn't it.......gives you the warm and fuzzies? Look at all the executives posing by the car and charging station like they are about to do something amazing. What they are not telling you is that they used two Mitsubishi iMiEV's and a flatbed truck with a generator. They drove one EV and someone drove the truck with the other car on the back. When the first EV was getting low they swapped the cars and as they drive they ran the generator on the back of the truck to charge the other EV. So for this PR stunt they essentially ran a flatbed truck and a generator across Canada.......would love to see the carbon foot print on this one - LOL.

Another thing no one talks about is PEV/PHEV's are not for the average person. Look at the price of the cars- they are status symbols. They are designed for people that live in a suburban neighborhoods with a driveway that can afford the car, EV charger and have the infrastructure to operate it. How can people that rely on street parking, people in apartments/condo's charge their cars overnight if they do not have a dedicated EVSE to plug into at the end of each day?

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

lmao you guys are now coming  up with conspiracy theories to debunk an electric motor that doesnt exist yet?

The richest part about this entire debate is the fact that all of us already have 3-4 giant lead batteries in our boats already, yet were debating whether putting batteries in your boat is a good idea hahaha.

If you have somehow convinced yourself that no one is going to attempt to embrace these facts then you probably also think tesla is going to go out of business lol.

In theory yes........but in order to power this high performance electric motor how many lead acid batteries would you need?  Probably enough to sink your boat twice over.  In all honesty you would never use lead acid batteries for this application (boat/car/plane) due to the weight and performance limitation of this technology.  You can go to a lithium ion battery that would cost you about 5 times that of a lead acid battery but that would put you at market disadvantage as your boat would be 2x or 3x that of a standard 4 stroke.  Yes, there are people that would spend $150k for an electric fishing boat that they could buy for $50k just like there are people that would spend $80-$100k for a Tesla vs a standard car.  

So now the discussion becomes are people buying these as status symbols or because you are saving the planet?  How are you towing this boat?  I sure hope you are towing with a Tesla pickup.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I'm not against new tech at all, actually all for it if it works.
I'm just a little skeptical of this one. Been a mechanic all my life and it just doesn't sound right for an electric motor. Sounds more like a 4 stroke engine to me.
I checked the website and did a little poking around and didn't see a completed unit. When you watch the video it shows nothing for the controls or under the hood.

7 hours ago, 410001661 said:

In theory yes........but in order to power this high performance electric motor how many lead acid batteries would you need?  Probably enough to sink your boat twice over.  In all honesty you would never use lead acid batteries for this application (boat/car/plane) due to the weight and performance limitation of this technology.  You can go to a lithium ion battery that would cost you about 5 times that of a lead acid battery but that would put you at market disadvantage as your boat would be 2x or 3x that of a standard 4 stroke.  Yes, there are people that would spend $150k for an electric fishing boat that they could buy for $50k just like there are people that would spend $80-$100k for a Tesla vs a standard car.  

So now the discussion becomes are people buying these as status symbols or because you are saving the planet?  How are you towing this boat?  I sure hope you are towing with a Tesla pickup.  

I’ve already got my order in for a cyber truck 

and go for a ride in a Tesla, I’ll assure you it’s more of a 80-100k car than a Dodge Ram rebel is that’s for damn sure lol

Edited by AKRISONER

You're going to be waiting an awful long time for that CT me thinks.     My buddy just picked up a Model Y, it's cool and all and I love the tech, but that interior for that price?  Yikes..   It's not even faster then my 335d (Which isn't stock mind you, but still).  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BillM said:

You're going to be waiting an awful long time for that CT me thinks.     My buddy just picked up a Model Y, it's cool and all and I love the tech, but that interior for that price?  Yikes..   It's not even faster then my 335d (Which isn't stock mind you, but still).  

I’m shocked you don’t like the interior. I absolutely love it. And yup I don’t want it to be delivered for a few years my current truck only has 130k on it at the moment.

your comment about fast? The ones I got to ride in were the fastest cars I’d ever been in. The amount of tourque off of the line was absolutely insane.