Bottled moose recipe:share yours!

georginaisle

Going to try this beacon recipe for sure. I make my own cured and smoked beacon from pork belly. We use a lot of beacon here and it be nice if it was there ready to use; after a quick nuke in the microwave. 

Thanks Guys!

Dan.  

2 hours ago, DanD said:

Going to try this beacon recipe for sure. I make my own cured and smoked beacon from pork belly. We use a lot of beacon here and it be nice if it was there ready to use; after a quick nuke in the microwave. 

Thanks Guys!

Dan.  

Yes Dan, it is pork belly (side) bacon that I have canned.  I also make my own smoked and cured side (pork belly) bacon and back (loin) bacon.  I also make bacon candy, which is bacon made with pork tenderloin.  I have never canned my own bacon after doing the cure and smoke - it would have to be a huge batch of pork bellies to do a canner load!

I think it would be very challenging to try to pressure can back bacon, it's too lean.  I do pressure can ham, but for that I do a hot pack with broth from the roasting pan.

BTW I see you live in London - I have bought side bacon from Krug's in Tavistock and canned that stuff.  Heavenly!

Doug

3 hours ago, akaShag said:

And my recipe:

CANNED BACON

Process the jars at 10 lb pressure for 90 minutes.  The jars should seal with no problems, and when cooled off there will be a bit of bacon fat in the bottom of the jars.

Trying hard to wrap my head around this one, I would have thought the jars would explode without any liquid in them.  I'll have to try a small batch next time I do something that requires the same time in the canner.

8 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Trying hard to wrap my head around this one, I would have thought the jars would explode without any liquid in them.  I'll have to try a small batch next time I do something that requires the same time in the canner.

That's why it makes me giggle.  The fat in the bacon is enough liquid to make it work.  And it is every bit as good as the canned bacon we used to get in the RP4s!  You could do a jar of it when you do a turkey, 100 minutes at 11 is close enough to 90 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.

Doug

• Like 1

and how about that bottled moose, eh!!!!!  Sorry for the hijack............

I just remembered, the usual Newfoundland bottled moose also gets a chunk of salt pork in it.  And I did venison one time with a tablespoon of sweet sherry, that was good too.

3 minutes ago, akaShag said:

and how about that bottled moose, eh!!!!!  Sorry for the hijack............

I just remembered, the usual Newfoundland bottled moose also gets a chunk of salt pork in it.  And I did venison one time with a tablespoon of sweet sherry, that was good too.

Yes, I use salt port, and don't add the salt. I also add onion and sometimes a clove or two of garlic. Depends what I plan to do with it, or who I'm giving it to lol 

S. 

• Like 1

I stated canning this year. I've got over 50 jars of salmon, smoked and plain. I canned some carrots but they are real squishy out of the jar. Did some beets and they are a little firmer than the carrots. Also canned some venison and it turned out great. Still trying to figure out how to eat the venison though. Right out of the jar is OK but I'd like to try and make some dairy free stroganoff. Very easy to can stuff as long as you follow the pressure and time guides. 

On 12/6/2020 at 7:07 AM, floater said:

I stated canning this year. I've got over 50 jars of salmon, smoked and plain. I canned some carrots but they are real squishy out of the jar. Did some beets and they are a little firmer than the carrots. Also canned some venison and it turned out great. Still trying to figure out how to eat the venison though. Right out of the jar is OK but I'd like to try and make some dairy free stroganoff. Very easy to can stuff as long as you follow the pressure and time guides. 

Floater if you want to try canning carrots again I highly recommend you try making dilled carrots. They stay crunchy for years, have great dill flavour and are also great with a hot pepper or two in the jar. They turn out best using baby carrots but I've used full sized ones too cut into spears. Easy to make as well and the recipe is per jar so you can make as many as you want at a time. Here's the recipe from the Jean Pare Company's Coming preserves book.

Dilled carrots- double recipe  for quart jars
head of dill, 1 per pint (more if you like)
small clove of garlic, 1 per pint (I use way more lol)
baby carrots or large ones cut into fingers, to fill 1 pint

Hot peppers 1 per pint, two for quarts
pickling salt, 1 Tbsp. per pint
1/3 cup boiling white vinegar per pint
Boiling water, to fill jar

In a bottom of a hot sterilized pint jar, place head of dill and garlic. Fill with carrot sticks to within 1 inch of the top.
Measure salt over carrots . Add vinegar. Fill with water to within 1/2 inch of top.
Place sterilized metal lid on jar and screw metal band on finger tight only. Process in a boiling bath for 20 minutes Let stand 6 weeks before serving.

Dilledcarrots.JPG.e20229f6475afbf52277e7e146e3ad0d.JPG

Edited by smitty55
  • Like 1

Sterilize your jars first.  Or as an absolute minimum, start with squeaky clean jars.  Yes you are putting meat (with bacteria) into the jars, and yes the high heat is probably going to kill all the nasties, but it is not a big thing to start with clean jars.

And always use NEW snap lids, they don't seal properly if they are re-used.

Good luck to you!

Doug

Its really important not to get anything spilled on the top edges of the jars or on the sealing lids when you are filling them or the seal will not last.  Be careful not to overfill the jars and if you spill on the edges or lids, you have to clean it really, really well.  And never, ever reuse the sealing lids.  If the seals leak at all, your hard work will be ruined and you can get sick or die from botulism.  Home canning is great, but its not a place to take shortcuts on food safety.

• Like 1