Bottled moose recipe:share yours!

georginaisle

Last year my buddy gave me a small jar of what he called bottled moose...it was incredible! I just heated it in a pot and put over rice.man was it good!he makes a beef sauce with peppers,onions and see brandy along with some pieces of pork fat...the brandy really put it over the top,like something you might find in a higher end restaurant.it was that good 

I've got a few moose roasts and will try my own version of his recipe 

Does anyone have a tried and true bottled moose recipe?

Yes, I have canned moose, deer, goose, etc etc etc for decades.  They call it canning even though we use Mason jars.  But in Newfoundland (and probably other places) they do call it (quite properly) bottled moose.

Take raw moose, trim off fat and gristle, and cut it into cubes or chunks about 3/4".  Smaller works fine, bigger not so much.  Season it with your favourite seasonings - always seasoning salt and garlic, then whatever tickles your fancy.  About a heaping tablespoon of raw onion is quite good.  If you put onion in the jar, put it about half-way down in the meat.

Pack the seasoned meat into clean Mason jars, probably 250 ml but possibly 500 ml or even 1 litre, but a litre of bottled moose is a hell of a lot of meat.  Pack it in quite tightly to within about half an inch of the top, add a quarter teaspoon of seasoned salt on top, wipe the jar rims, and top with hot sealing lids.  Tighten the sealing rings down snug but not over-tight.  Process in a pressure canner for 90 minutes at 10 pounds pressure, and allow the pressure to drop to zero before opening the canner.  Use jar tongs to remove the jars from the hot water, and place on a cookie sheet or similar, on a heat-proof surface, and allow them to cool.  The lids should "pop" when they seal.  Allow to cool completely and check that all of the jars did seal.  If you have one that did not seal, put it in the fridge and eat it within a week or so.  Take the sealed jars, tighten the sealing rings securely, and store in your pantry.  It will keep for several years with no change in quality.

This is the standard way to pressure can red meat.  It sounds like the OP got some that was done in a hot pack, with liquid.  DIFFERENT process entirely, starting with hot product and hot jars, but fill and process the same way.

Doug

• Like 4

12 hours ago, akaShag said:

Pack the seasoned meat into clean Mason jars, probably 250 ml but possibly 500 ml or even 1 litre, but a litre of bottled moose is a hell of a lot of meat. 

Have to agree, a 1 litre or quart size mason jar is a lot.  I use 1 litre jars of canned turkey to make 4 turkey pot pies at a time.   250's are my go to for canned salmon and rainbow.

11 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Have to agree, a 1 litre or quart size mason jar is a lot.  I use 1 litre jars of canned turkey to make 4 turkey pot pies at a time.   250's are my go to for canned salmon and rainbow.

Do you do a hot pack with the turkey?  As in, boned-out cooked turkey with broth?

12 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Yes,  pressure cooked, deboned, skin off, with broth, hot packed, 100 mins at 11 psi. 

You pressure cook the turkey first, vs roasting?

(PS to OP)  Sorry for the temporary detour.................

4 minutes ago, georginaisle said:

I'm going to buy some eye of round and do a practice round before I do the moose...I don't wanna screw it up

Its almost impossible to screw it up. 

Always use new sealers. Sterilize your bottles well. Google has all the info you need. 

I basically do the same as Doug above, and you can put anything you want in those bottles....we do fish, deer, moose, seal, rabbits, crab, lobster, mussels, clams....I could keep going but i wont lol 

S. 

5 minutes ago, georginaisle said:

I'm going to buy some eye of round and do a practice round before I do the moose...I don't wanna screw it up

Just follow the canning directions to a "T" and you'll be fine.  Important thing is to leave that 1 inch open space at the top of the jar and do not screw the lids down like a gorilla.  Barely finger tight, the steam has to escape from the jar during the process of canning,  The lids will suck themselves down tight,  I don't retighten the rings afterwards,  I've never had one pop open.  Also be aware not to put hot jars into water in the pressure canner that's cooler than the jars if you are doing a hot load.

3 minutes ago, Sinker said:

Its almost impossible to screw it up. 

Always use new sealers. Sterilize your bottles well. Google has all the info you need. 

I basically do the same as Doug above, and you can put anything you want in those bottles....we do fish, deer, moose, seal, rabbits, crab, lobster, mussels, clams....I could keep going but i wont lol 

S. 

Ah, you beat me, lol.

• Like 1

The canned item that still makes me giddy is canned side bacon.  And it's AWESOME!  The last time I used COSTCO maple flavoured bacon, the big double pack, and cut the slices in half to fit the jars.  It worked well, and I needed less weight of raw bacon to make a canner load.

And my recipe:

CANNED BACON

(February 2016)

Buy premium bacon to make this.  A 5 kg/11 lb box is about right for a canner load.  Lay the strips of bacon on aluminum foil, or parchment paper, on cookie sheets in a single layer.  Clean-up is about the same for foil and for parchment paper, but the latter is wider and covers larger pans better. Cook the bacon in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes per pan, until just about fully cooked but not crispy.  Cooking bacon in the oven keeps the slices nice and flat.

Drain the slices of bacon on paper towel and allow to cool.

Take about 24” of parchment paper, cut off the top 2” or so, and lay bacon strips side by side (some overlap is OK) to about the 21” mark or so.  The strips should be about ½” shorter than a 500 ml Mason jar, so trim to length with a knife.  At this point, with the bacon laid out flat, you can brush it with maple syrup or other flavourings.  Fold the parchment paper top and bottom over the bacon, then roll it tightly towards the paper end.  It should fit snugly into the (wide mouth!) Mason jar – if it is too tight remove a slice or two, if it is too loose add a slice or two.

Take the off-cuts and place them in a shallow jar like a salmon jar that will fit on top of the 500 ml jars in the canner.  These pieces, NOT in parchment paper, will be used as bacon bits or whatever.

Process the jars at 10 lb pressure for 90 minutes.  The jars should seal with no problems, and when cooled off there will be a bit of bacon fat in the bottom of the jars.

To use the bacon, open a jar and it can be eaten directly or warmed in the microwave for a few seconds and then eaten like regular cooked bacon.  My first batch lasted just fine for over three years in my pantry.  It’s DELICIOUS!

• Like 2