Any idea what this is?

squirrel761

A friend gave me this wondering what it is. It consists of what looks like a single strand of braided wire or chicken coop wire with a swivel on one end and a 2 ounce weight on the other end. looks like surveyors tape weaved through the wire. I though maybe an early version of a bottom bouncer.

IMG_2886.JPG

Edited by squirrel761

It’s a bait catcher, also called “pilchard rings”. I first used one in the 70’s while fishing off a Pier in Florida, everyone was using them to catch small bait fish which they would then use to catch “real fish”. They sold them in the little fishing shop that was on the Pier.

It was simply lowered into the water, and the bait fish would be all over it, attracted to the colourful material, and many would get their gills stuck in the wire loops. It was very effective.

Ray.

Edited by RayK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RayK said:

It’s a bait catcher, also called “pilchard rings”. I first used one in the 70’s while fishing off a Pier in Florida, everyone was using them to catch small bait fish which they would then use to catch “real fish”. They sold them in the little fishing shop that was on the Pier.

It was simply lowered into the water, and the bait fish would be all over it, attracted to the colourful material, and many would get their gills stuck in the wire loops. It was very effective.

Ray.

Bingo, we have a winner, seems they have been illegal for some time now, at least in Florida

12 hours ago, aplumma said:

This has been replaced by a Sabinki rig which is 6 small hooks with mylar as the bait. We use them to catch bait. 

Art

Those Sabiki rigs wouldn't be legal here without removing two of the hooks. I know a guy that has used them for herring but he said they're a pain to use as the tend to get all tangled up.