Black Friday?

1 hour ago, LeXXington said:

problem is no one likes to buy old electronics.. Sell it at a discount while you can.  Bigger the discount the less stock available.

A new model is coming soon

Exactly. This stuff always happens as the next gen is about to be released. As far as I’m concerned If you can stay 100% up to date with the latest and greatest when it comes to electronics in the fishing industry than you’ve got some seriously deep pockets.

livescope is the top of the chain in marine electronics and that unit is equipped for it. That’s good enough for me!

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

No fishing directly, but still on topic if you bare with me....

Years ago I worked at a music store, teaching and selling. We had a trade show (NAMM) to attend and we ended up sitting next to the president of Roland Music. the dude was a technology genius. While chatting, our keyboard teacher ask Mr. Roland about some tech in one of their current at the time keyboards. Mr. Roland grabbed a napkin and wrote out the technical design right then and there. We thought he was brilliant... until he told us that back home, they had warehouses full of new technology they had developed and were going to put out to the market, but not until they had made enough profit on the existing product line! 

I have to believe that all tech companies work this way in order to meet demands of their shareholders.

HH

In fising that is for sure the case. Even stalwarts like shimano offer deep discounts through preferred retailers  when they're changing over to new models. it would not surprise me that they also use remaining old "new" stock in their own supply chain to lower the price of store shelf inventory in the retailers. This way they blow the old stock out with tail end wholesale inventory at their manufacturing cost lowering the wholesale cost to preferred retailers so they sell off the old gear but still profit from the transaction. It's a win win situation that I used myself when I worked for Planters Peanuts. We would drive around using  a carload of inventory that allowed us to credit retailers for in store sales, damaged goods and priority shelf space and Instead of actual money from credit notes we distributed dry roast peanuts at our cost price. The whole effort made my 1978 Plymouth Fury drag it's tail down the road however.

5 hours ago, Headhunter said:

until he told us that back home, they had warehouses full of new technology they had developed and were going to put out to the market, but not until they had made enough profit on the existing product line! 

Did he work for Blackberry just prior to the iPhone release 😜

2 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Blackberry just signed an agreement with Amazon, check the stock price!

HH

That's for the software they developed outside of the cell phones.  Blackberry made the mistake of delaying the arrival of new cell phones once the iphone came out.. They tried to play catch up after the fact but every time they came out with a new model it was already obsolete by the competition. When people made the switch it was hard to get them back.

Once the realized the could never catch up they focused on the software and got out of the cell phone business altogether.  The patents on the software saved the company.

• Like 1