age old discussion....Mercury vs Yamaha

bigcreekdad

I used mine all summer and it’s great trolling I use it as autopilot 

Casting I fished a weed line and did well so the next day I went to the same spot hit follow track and it steered the whole way for me   
put it on charge for the night but looked half an hour later and the batteries were already fully charged  

• 2 weeks later...

well I bought a 2021 Lund with a 150 merc and a 9.9 kicker and a ulttera trolling motor .. started my 9,9 and gas was everywhere took it to closest dealer they said we aint looking at it its not on. a prince craft boat.. took it to 2 other dealers in area and they said nope you did not buy here .. took it to another dealer they called merc and they said yup its a issue some of our motors left with out all the parts in the caberators ..... waited 30 days for parts blew my walleye season my ullterra motor deployed once then would not deploy again now I have to take it off boat and send back for warrantee..... another 2 hour drive to a warranty centre ...... 

1 hour ago, chessy said:

well I bought a 2021 Lund with a 150 merc and a 9.9 kicker and a ulttera trolling motor .. started my 9,9 and gas was everywhere took it to closest dealer they said we aint looking at it its not on. a prince craft boat.. took it to 2 other dealers in area and they said nope you did not buy here .. took it to another dealer they called merc and they said yup its a issue some of our motors left with out all the parts in the caberators ..... waited 30 days for parts blew my walleye season my ullterra motor deployed once then would not deploy again now I have to take it off boat and send back for warrantee..... another 2 hour drive to a warranty centre ...... 

I swear to god that Minkotta and Johnson controls have switched their manufacturing facilities in the past 10 years. The old powerdrives and fortrexes were basically ready to use for close to 20 years...now you are lucky to have one that lasts 5.

Heck every single person i know thats bought an ultrex has had it fail and they have only been out a total of 3 years now...

On 12/8/2020 at 1:58 PM, AKRISONER said:

I swear to god that Minkotta and Johnson controls have switched their manufacturing facilities in the past 10 years. The old powerdrives and fortrexes were basically ready to use for close to 20 years...now you are lucky to have one that lasts 5.

Heck every single person i know thats bought an ultrex has had it fail and they have only been out a total of 3 years now...

I bought a new powerdrive ipilot this year, so far so good, but I kept my old V1 powerdrive just in case. The old girl still works like the day i got it lol 

16 hours ago, Sinker said:

I bought a new powerdrive ipilot this year, so far so good, but I kept my old V1 powerdrive just in case. The old girl still works like the day i got it lol 

my powerdrive v1 died 2 years ago..understandably the foot pedal fried, but it had done its job long enough...so what I did was actually buy my father a new 80lb terrova v2 for his new boat so that I could take his 55lb powerdrive ipilot for my tinner. 

Then I bought my own boat that came with an old motorguide tour...I sold that to finance a 80lb terrova with ipilot for myself because how I fish...there is no way in hell im trying to dance on a TM while drop shotting smallies in great lakes winds...its just a no go. All should be fine and dandy right?

Covid hits, my big boat is now grounded because all of the launches are closed so I take the old trust tinner out with the powerdrive ipilot...it fries the controller its dead...then my old man running his new terrova bumps a rock with the skeg of his motor and it breaks the flimsy mounting clip on his shaft up by the head??? so that his motor now slips and wont always engage when you turn it.

And then the fall arrives and my Terrova fries itself, I buy a brand new pedal for it and it lasts one day and fries itself again. I take it to aikmans he cant see anything wrong with the motor except for the fact that if you use it for more than 8 hours it will fry your brand new pedals every single time.

Thats 4 minkottas broken in 3 years and only one could technically be blamed on the user for bumping a rock with the skeg...Im done...Theres a Garmin Force sitting in my garage ready to be installed if we get a stretch of warmer weather at some point.

Edited by AKRISONER

On 11/28/2020 at 10:13 AM, Spiel said:

Bought new in 2006, 75 tiller, no complaints what so ever. Starts instantly every time and runs quieter than the Honda, right Fish Farmer.  ;)

20190821_131557_resized.jpg

Yep, I had a Honda and now a Merc Tohatsu. The merc is much more quiet.

If I was going to buy again I'd be looking at a Suzuki. From what I've read they are so much more advanced than the rest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 9:00 AM, Terry said:

I have owned both and I have no problem buying either. 2014 I bought a 125 merc and a 9.9 merc.   Never a problem  and I am hard on equipment 

but for some reason Yamaha owners are like tundra truck owners no matter what ,they believe they are the best nothing else like them and he will show you how great they are as soon as they get it back from the shop

But no Yammy exp? 

I’m a Toyota owner and about to pickup a 4Runner. There is a reason for it as they routinely pass 400+ on factory drivelines. Kijiji is chock full of US trucks and SUV’s with motors or transmissions that couldn’t reach 300k, or were nearly dead. Japanese mfg has always been better (IMO)

I’m into Johnnyrudes right now, but the big switch down the road will only be Yammy, Suzuki or Honda only

Edited by Hack_Fisherman