B1 disgrace

Chris J

Woo made multiple times more profit than the fine. He's a shyster, scam artist, and is known for being a scourge in the fishing industry. 

But some (read some) tournie anglers care more about profits than the resources. So many will defend him. Carefully note those who do - and remember it. 

Edited by Steve
  • Like 3

An investigation discovered 195 dead bass, including 188 dead bass in plastic bags found in the garbage.

http://www.ibassin.com/

" Ben Woo and staff later dumped 188 of those dead bass into the garbage, which is an illegal act as no game fish or wild animal is allowed to be wasted without proper steps taken to fully utilize it.  "

Think there was a thread about it, at the time I thought it was very unusual.

i brought this up here

To me it was clear that B1 didnt take every measure necessary to ensure the mortality rates at its tournament remained low. Especially at a tournament on the st lawrence where the smallies are being caught deep and its hot out.

Even worse to hear that they threw the fish in bags into the trash. I know some locals were absolutely livid about what happened here. As much as people like to say that it wouldnt have an impact on a fishery, but killing 100's of the absolute biggest bass in a stretch of water over the course of a weekend does horrific things to a fishery.

All it takes is for you to read 1 thread on any bass forum to realize that even treatment of fish in a livewell is totally subjective. Some guys throw their livewell on recirculate all day and hope for the best. Truthfully it somewhat blows my mind because mortality penalties in tournaments are so severe, but the twisted logic some guys have about fish care is terrible at best.

At the end of the day its no different than fishing musky on light tackle, or snagging salmon and trout in rivers. Same crowds same result.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 2

Livewell fish care is learned and with constant angler turn over is a problem.

With no fish care penalty's the fish where good when handed to organizer.

So the organizer had a weak plan. Likely not what was on his permit.

All dead fish should be handed back to anglers and penalty's applyed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

An investigation discovered 195 dead bass, including 188 dead bass in plastic bags found in the garbage.

http://www.ibassin.com/

" Ben Woo and staff later dumped 188 of those dead bass into the garbage, which is an illegal act as no game fish or wild animal is allowed to be wasted without proper steps taken to fully utilize it.  "

Think there was a thread about it, at the time I thought it was very unusual.

I'd like to have seen another 0 on the end of that $9000 fine.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bigcreekdad said:

I've always disliked the whole idea of tournaments. From the start of BASS many years ago, it just degrades the sport IMO.

Just my experience here stateside, bass fishing has improved considerably since catch and release was promoted by bass, there are still aspects of some tournaments I am not a fan of.