Would you get an evinrude motor still?

Tjames09

Would you get an Evinrude still?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or nay

• Yes
    • No

I wouldn't exclude it outright.  But, I would pay less for an Evinrude than other motors.

If it's a current model, I would also wonder how long marine grade two stroke motor oil will be available.  I don't think anyone is selling two stroke motors in North America anymore.  I am sure oil will be available for the 15-20 years.  After that, finding it may start to become difficult.

On 11/22/2020 at 9:01 AM, Rustic-Fisher said:

Listed my Lund  at the start of summer , powered by a 90 ETEC.

A TON of guys were after the two stroke because they had been discontinued . Boat sold within 2 hours , unfortunately so did its replacement .

I wouldn’t buy a new model evinrude myself.  That said the last 2 stroke Yamaha I sold, I had guys fighting over it on kijiji and offering more than I asked to beat out others.  I ended up selling it to the first guy that offered my asking price and he EMT’d me a $500 deposit on the basis of the YouTube video I made of it running, sight unseen other than the pics, so I’d hold it for him until he could pick up that weekend.  So there’s definitely a good market for 2 strokes!

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 9:06 AM, dave524 said:

I recall when OMC stopped making I/O's on the used market they referred to a white outdrive on a used boat as the " white leg of death " Weren't some of the smaller JohnnyRudes in later years actually Suzukis ?much like smaller Merc's are Tohatsu's

I think that all four stroke Johnsons were made by Suzuki.  I don't think the OMC/Bombardier/BRP every made a four stroke outboard of their own.

The smaller Evinrudes were made by Tohatsu.  They never made a small sized E-tec.  

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 6:59 AM, Yellow Fever said:

they just can't leave all the owners hanging.

With Bombardier owning Evinrude, there won't be replacement parts issues for many years. Just like the automotive "manufacturers", they don't actually manufacture the parts that go into their vehicles. They buy them built to their spec. I can't see Bombardier/Evinrude being any different. Then there will be the aftermarket industry, that will pick up on a lot of the top moving parts and have them cloned or find a  different replacement part that will fit and function. 

Dan. 

Edited by DanD
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DanD said:

With Bombardier owning Evinrude, there won't be replacement parts issues for many years. Just like the automotive "manufacturers", they don't actually manufacture the parts that go into their vehicles. They buy them built to their spec. I can't see Bombardier/Evinrude being any different. Then there will be the aftermarket industry, that will pick up on a lot of the top moving parts and have them cloned or find a  different replacement part that will fit and function. 

Dan. 

X2

I have a 40 E-tec. Over 300 hours on it now. So my warranty is over. No problems so far.  I'm happy with my 2 stroke.  If I was in the market to upgrade my current rig I would definitely consider E-tec/ G2 for power. But I would be buying used. I wouldn't feel good about the warranty on a brand new motor being honored on a discontinued brand.

It's a shame that no manufacturer has stepped in and bought the brand.  A lot of people really like their 2 stroke outboards.  It's a tough choice to decide which 4 stroke is best. Yamaha Mercury Suzuki are all great 4 strokes.

As far as 2 stroke oil goes, Evinrude has 3 grades available. XD30 XD50 and XD100.  XD100 is recommended and also the most expensive.  XD100 is NMMA certified TC-W3 oil...  If you do a little research, you will find that there are other brands that make equivalent TC-W3 oil.  Obviously you would void the Evinrude warranty.  But IF the supply runs out, there are options.

2 hours ago, DanD said:

Dan. 

To be clear, BRP is a completely different and independant company from Bombardier who make trains and planes.  Even though the B in BRP stands for Bombardier, it's still a separate and independant company.

Having said that.  BRP will probably still have parts available for more than 10 years.  But 20 or 30 years from now remains to be seen.    

Not unless 50% of msrp or better. The price would have to be very attractive 

a) they are still not a 4 stroke 

b) no assurances of factory support or replacement part supply. I tend to keep my purchases until they are used up

c) I had a die hard looper racer tell me they blow up and bottom ends are weak (that might be for racing however)

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

On 11/27/2020 at 4:48 PM, Tjames09 said:

Well the boat with the evinrude on it I wanted to see was seriously manhandled and I wouldnt have bought it anyways. Drove pretty far to see it too. Sometimes pictures online can be really misleading. Boat was trashed in person, disappointing. 

That sucks man.  How bad was it?