Hard to get good help anymore.

lew

Why would roofing scare you Albert? I have no problem doing a roof as long as I don't have to be above ground. In days gone by no problem whatsoever, I could climb a ladder with a bundle of shingles over each shoulder, look at me now. I cleaned out 3 window flower boxes and cleaned 5 window sills and ended up in E.R. a few weekends ago  with what they call an "arthrtic episode" whatever in hells name that means. I love the old saying that heights and falling doesn't scare me, landing does. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It also goes the other way as well.

I am an electrician (309-A) and have been working as an application engineer for an electrical manufacturer for the last 12yrs.  I get approached all the time for people wanting things done, friends of friends and neighbors.  Since my kids are getting older I have more time on my hands to fish & hunt and do side jobs.  I carefully vet my customers as well because to be honest I am done with crawling through an insulated filled attic to install pot lights, or deal with customers that want to re-negotiate with you after the job is complete.  

I do not think that the trades have ever been this busy thanks to COVID.  People are renovating their homes while they are working from home.  The underground economy is BOOMING and I have done jobs for cash, services in lieu of, products, and about anything else you can trade or negotiate.

• Like 2

I understand working "under the table" but I can't do that (very much) with a brick and mortar business. I've been audited twice in the last 10 years; being scrutinized me on why I have more parts coming into the business, then showing going out. I said those parts are in inventory. I then had to walk this auditor around the shop, showing her the inventory that she had not idea of what she was looking at. I got away with it but at my age I have had to stop the under the table jobs; can't loose the shop until I can sell it or close it; without raising any eyebrows.

Lew and anyone else; I understand the frustration of someone saying that they will do  something and then not come through with it. Independent small business is cutthroat. You do it now or someone else will; the average (Lew I don't know you but you seem to be above average a reasonable man) client isn't willing to wait regardless of quality of workmanship. So these small business guys will overbook themselves and do what they can as long as they can. Yes it pisses off some people but the guy who "promised" to do the job has fed his family; all the while playing catch up with the work he's promised to do. Running a small business is hard work; work at times you don't get paid for. Just last week I had a number of jobs booked into the shop. Three of them were no shows; which left my techs with nothing to do in the afternoon. Now should I have overbooked the day knowing I couldn't finish all the cars? Or be honest and only booked what we could handle in one day; IF THEY BOTHERED TO SHOW UP?  It's a two way street and most times it's the small business that gets cut off at an intersection.

Sorry but that's my take after 40+ years of running a small business.

Dan.

• Like 1