Covid vacine, will you,wont you ?

misfish

Lots of talk on the progress of a couple vaccines that being injected in people . They seem to say ( the ones injected ) it is working . Hmmmmm.

Think I will wait way into next year to see if this is really working,or going to be needed . JMHO.

So,will you,wont you, take the shots ?

I'm not sure,  we think I had it (covid) last year while we were in Myrtle Beach, (had all the symptoms and many of the reported after affects) so I may already have some immunity which is what the vaccine is supposed to do. Would taking a chance on a vaccine that doesn't have any history be a good gamble? I will have to think on that one. 

• Like 2

There’s definitely some very flawed logic with people that are over the age of 40 saying “I’d rather chance it with catching covid than take a potential life saving vaccine”

the numbers of people with deadly complications from the vaccine will be openly shared, much like covids lethality rates and I can assure you, the vaccine danger will be far far far astronomically less dangerous than covid.

think about that for a second.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

There’s definitely some very flawed logic with people that are over the age of 40 saying “I’d rather chance it with catching covid than take a potential life saving vaccine”

the numbers of people with deadly complications from the vaccine will be openly shared, much like covids lethality rates and I can assure you, the vaccine danger will be far far far astronomically less dangerous than covid.

think about that for a second.

I can't agree more. Firstly, there is simply no evidence that you cannot get this virus twice, so anyone who thinks they have already had it, should think twice about not getting the shot.

If there is going to any path to normalcy in our lives, folks are going to have to get the shot, otherwise, we will be living in this purgatory for years to come. I also can't wrap my head around the ant- vaxers. Is it your goal to infect and potentially kill off those folks in your life that may have brought you into this world? Or do you simply not believe that there is any risk with this virus? What the heck are you afraid of? I would much rather deal with any potential side-affects for the vax, then I would with the multitude of side effects from the virus... but I get that some folks just don't see it that way. They would be wrong!

HH

Edited by Headhunter
Spelling!
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Headhunter said:

I can't agree more. Firstly, there is simply no evidence that you cannot get this virus twice, so anyone who thinks they have already had it, should think twice about not getting the shot.

If there is going to any path to normalcy in our lives, folks are going to have to get the shot, otherwise, we will be living in this purgatory for years to come. I also can't wrap my head around the ant- vaxers. Is it your goal to infect and potentially kill off those folks in your life that may have brought you into this world? Or do you simply not believe that there is any risk with this virus? What the heck are you afraid of? I would much rather deal with any potential side-affects for the vax, then I would with the multitude of side effects from the virus... but I get that some folks just don't see it that way. They would be wrong!

HH

Please correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that the vaccine is supposed to cause the body to produce antibodys so the body can defend itself against  the virus. At this point no one seems to know how long those antibodies are effective and if the virus mutates which some studies seem to indicate it already is then the vaccine might not do much good. When they finally make the antibody test available that will help. It was originally thought that Thalidomide was safe and look at what happened there. Forgive me for being cautious,  I get the flu shot every year and every year they tell me it can't cause the flu but every year three days later I am sick in bed with the flu. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RickOnt said:

99.4% recovery rate.

I will take my chances.

That's recovery from the initial symptoms. Of the people I know that have had it (all healthy, relatively young people prior), all speak of a very long-haul to getting back to feeling 'normal', some things change forever (lung capacity), and another guy I know that had it in March just died a fatal heart attack...out of nowhere...dropped on the spot. There is growing evidence the virus has after-effects on the brain, heart, lungs, liver...etc. 

I'll get the vaccine. As stated, better to risk that than getting the virus...or living with the after-effects. 

Also...more evidence showing antibodies only last about 6-months in those that get it...so if you've had the virus it certainly doesn't mean you can't get it again. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RickOnt said:

99.4% recovery rate.

I will take my chances.

Jesus Rick I hope you are under the age of 60...

I know some of the speculators in here are not. take a look at the over age of 60 stats...it might change your mind

F5A0F61C-8FDD-44A1-954B-C5DA5BA72CD0.jpeg

Edited by AKRISONER

Ironically, it's the older generation that remembers things like the children of thalidomide are the ones that need the vax the most. The 30 somethings have never been exposed to a large scale pharmaceutical disaster. I'm certainly not suggesting this is, or could be anything like that. Just acknowledging why the older gen may feel apprehensive whereas the younger gen may not give it a thought.

6 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Ironically, it's the older generation that remembers things like the children of thalidomide are the ones that need the vax the most. The 30 somethings have never been exposed to a large scale pharmaceutical disaster. I'm certainly not suggesting this is, or could be anything like that. Just acknowledging why the older gen may feel apprehensive whereas the younger gen may not give it a thought.

They should remember polio though too...

I am kinda antisocial I do stay to myself. 

I go shopping as needed maybe every 2-3 weeks.

I am only close to family members.

I will do what is necessary for my family.

Do what is necessary for your comfort level.

Stay Safe

• Like 1

Some protection is better than none, I’m with Beans. i do not work outside my home. When I go out I follow the rules. We have our ‘bubble‘. This was  not spread on it’s own. We have to keep it from going forward. my wife and me are in the  age range of getting  the worst affects, it and it will probably kill  us if we get it. 
I have followed this closely, I lost my job because of it. In April the US had 42,000 deaths, look at them now!  A vaccine may not be comfortable for  all of us, which is our right, but let’s not put others in jeopardy who want to follow the guidance from our experts. 

When I need a plumber I call a plumber, not a lawyer. 

• Like 1

I'll be 1st in line. I had a real Dr's visit Monday, not a phone appointment. I got my flu shot and was happy to get one, I usually don't get it, when I did I got a bad case one year, when I didn't I got a bad case one year. I was told the flu shot is 94% effective where the 2 C-19 vacines are 95%. A line from an Arnold movie Conan the Barbarian " You want to live forever?" Now I will go back and read what you folks wrote. I wonder how many are practicing medicine here. I'll be back. 

OK I'm back. Looks like the split in opinion here is 50/50. Much like democratic elections.  No one practicing medicine, just well thought out opinions for the most. What I will say in favour of getting the vacine is I wonder how many of my classmates parents decided they didn't want thier kid to get the Polio vacine? If I'm not mistaken a parent could decide that little Johnny or Betty not get the Polio shot, but they weren't allowed into the school. A letter from the family Doc was required. 1st it was one kid that showed up with braces on both legs and crutches, then there was 2, then 3, That's when Mom pulled me and my brother out of school, I remember that. I don't know for how long this debate went on. This was 1959 or 60' I think, come on man that was 60 years ago, 60 not 16.

edit: TB, that was another comunical decease that required a vacine baxk then and today. Would you pass on getting the shot for Tuberculosis? I know we have epidemicalogical numbers now but didn't then. When all the iron lungs were full up at the old West 5th sanitoruim in Hamiltoneveryone chose the injection. 

I can't get spell check on. If ya can't spell it don't use it. JD/2020. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Haha 1

For anyone reading the 99.4 recovery rate post, please refer to the screenshot of the Ontario epidemiology summary conveniently  posted in my post above. The 99+% survival rate is a 100% incorrect figure that was developed most likely by Russian bots. 

the real figure is reported weekly and as you can see it is actually 3.5% lethal in confirmed cases.

I felt like I needed to clarify that to avoid the spread of mis-information 

3 hours ago, RickOnt said:

I am kinda antisocial I do stay to myself. 

I go shopping as needed maybe every 2-3 weeks.

Odds are you won't get covid-19 the less time you go into public. It only takes 30 seconds of exposure in the few hours you are out and about every 2-3 weeks. Now it's said that puppy you walked by can give it to you. So add no petting of puppies and kittens to the lisy of no no's. I can't imagine being 23 and single today. Ah the horror of it all !!!!! (Coronal Kurtz, USMC somewhere in Cambodia 1971.) We have to laugh someday. 

We've been going to the same Dr. for the last 40 years. When she calls (Which she does frequently, along with the occasional house call) and says get your butt in here for the vaccine; I'll be going. I/we've (Wife, kids and grand kids) trusted her for all these years to keep us safe and healthy, I'm not going to start doubting her now. At the same time if she says hold off, she wants to do more research on it; again I will listen. I'm not going to listen to a politician's popularity poles.

12 hours ago, ketchenany said:

When I need a plumber I call a plumber, not a lawyer. 

Dan.  

• Like 5