That storm on Lake Erie Sunday was a sloberknocker.

We hadn't been able to get equipment, materials and manpower in to replace rock on the breakwall that slid into the lake from the Haloween storm of 2019. The foreman from the local company I use over the last 23 years showed up last Thursday, I had him here to look at what needed to be done last November, a year ago and back in April. Talk about just in time. Other than the 3 cords of wood on our property from peoples docks, a few not so small trees, firewood split and not split and a few tables and chairs from patio sets. Some folks will never learn. A new neighbour was walking the beach today looking for thier new lake side $10,000.00 Gazebo big screen TV and $5000.00 patio set.  It was still blowing with smashing waves yesterday. They were warned, oh well that's a tough and expensive lesson. Batten the hatches and lash down anything you don't want to loose in August, not December. 

This is the 5th 100 year storm in the last 5 years, I've lost count of 50 year storms. I don't think that analogy has any meaning today.  It wasn't any worse than other storms it just lasted much longer than most, like I said it was still The waves smashing the breakwalls flew over the homes and laneway  over 150' from the  lake into the woods in the backlakeblowing hard yesterday, around 2 hours in the dark, lost hydro. I could have taken videos but I don't want to be one of those talking heads from the Weather Network or CNN standing in the middle of a hurricane to show how bad it is. Believe me it's not fun anymore. 

Thanks Lew. Ya don't know till ya know. Yes Fisherman these duffuses stand out in the middle of the storm so people stay tuned in. They want to see and later say they saw a reporter get washed into the ocean and drown live on TV. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

my parents bought a new house that closed on Monday...they didnt have power until Wednesday night if you can believe that. Killbear park got absolutely hammered with wind. All sorts of trees down everywhere. luckily no damage to their new house. My old man was scrambling to get a generator running though to make sure the pipes didnt burst in his new home!

On 11/20/2020 at 3:54 PM, AKRISONER said:

my parents bought a new house that closed on Monday...they didnt have power until Wednesday night if you can believe that. Killbear park got absolutely hammered with wind. All sorts of trees down everywhere. luckily no damage to their new house. My old man was scrambling to get a generator running though to make sure the pipes didnt burst in his new home!

Our year old pup was let out of our 6 day old brand new home. It went outside to do her business when I heard dog barking then a huge dog whine. She messed with a skunk. Covered in skunk spray she ran back in, across the brand new braodloom up the stairs and into our bed. That "new house" smell lasted a week. PM me for the way to get the skunk smell out of everything. WAY off topic. 

On 11/22/2020 at 7:41 AM, AKRISONER said:

Peroxide, baking soda and Dawn dish soap! My pup walks in toronto with me off leash. Forest hill is full of skunks. One year he set his personal best record by getting sprayed 4 times lol

needless to say I started being far more aware of the smell of skunks when I was walking.

On the suggestion of my then BIL chemist that worked for Proctor and Gamble we slathered the dog with Crest toothpaste, let it dry and brushed it out. Thank goodness most of my in-laws worked at P&G and the toothpaste was free. That was after we spent way over 100 bucks on useless stuff from the Vets and more on tomato juice. I felt terrible for poor little Farah our Stafforshire Terrier also known as a Pit Bull to those not educated in the breed, a big Staff male is about 45 pounds, an American Pit Bull can go over 100 pounds. They are certainly related though and get a terrible reputation. She got it right in the eyes and her eyes were red for days. She was never let out again until I knew the coast was clear. My wife worked with the public then and missed an entire week because she smelled like a skunk. Crest tooth paste worked on her as well. I just smelled like Blast Furnace gas like I normally smelled. We had the insurance company to the home the next day. Had the place not been less than a week old most if not all of the soft materials that was in her path i.e carpet, furniture etc. The bedding went right in the backyard that night. Had the place not been brand spankin' new, we were in the home less than a week, the insurance guy had no idea what could be done. It would have been big money. The smell was actually gone in a few days. I don't remember where we spent the night, I do know my wife spent a week at her parents airing out. Another waste of $$$$. (edit: don't know why that's in here but it fits.)Crest tooth paste, who knew. Now I know about peroxide, baking soda and Dawn. The pic looks like Farrah the Dog but she didn't have male body parts like in the pic. 

Did it's fur turn white from the peroxide Akrisoner ? 

Farrah the Dog.jpg

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

No surprisingly it doesnt bleach their fur at all. I guess it has to do with the concentration level. Standard peroxide you buy from shoppers drug mart isnt strong enough to bleach anything. 

The show Mythbusters broke down the science of skunk spray and why the mixture works so well. 

Basically the simple science is that the peroxide baking soda combination breaks down the three "thiol" compounds and converts them into a "sodium chloride" (aka salt) compound which obviously then can be washed away with dish soap and water.

I cant find the scientific breakdown of the chemistry but I showed it to my old man (a chemist as you already know) when explaining how it was done and he said, yup that makes total sense. Only tough part with the pups is that you dont want to get the formula in their eyes. So my pupper still had a bit of smell when you got really close to his face with yours because I am certain and bit of that thiol compound was still hanging out around his eyes. The stuff is actually pretty incredible because its so oily it doesnt break down at all. It just lingers on their fur and any other object that they come into contact with.