Campgrounds with good fishing!

dave1965

Hello all!,

I just bought a pop-up tent trailer and canoe and I'm planning to book some camping trips for the 2021 season.

I just wanted to get some suggestions about some campgrounds (with electrical sites) that has good fishing, within 4 hours of Toronto. I am looking to book several trips next year. 

Appreciate any and all suggestions!

Thanks in advance,

Dave

my perfect canoe!.jpg

My grandson and great-grandson have had good bass fishing in the Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park...they enter via hwy 28 N...I don't know about electricity or water but if you call the park they will inform you...

27 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

There are several in the French River area, what do you want to fish for?

Hmm I did the French last year and the fishing was terrible. It’s a big system and easy to get lost. I have better luck on smaller lakes with a canoe. Anything in Algonquin has been better for me.

6 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

Hmm I did the French last year and the fishing was terrible. It’s a big system and easy to get lost. I have better luck on smaller lakes with a canoe. Anything in Algonquin has been better for me.

Where on the French did you go?   I've never had a bad trip on the French.

19 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

Well, you are right, it is a big system and if you don't know it you could get lost. French River isn't just the river system, it's an area. There are thousands of lakes with just about any type of fishing you could want. There are lots of campgrounds in the area too and with the rig the OP has he could camp at one and fish many lakes in the area. 

I've fished the French River many times before and yes it is beautiful and the fishing is usually great!I will google campgrunds in the French River area.Since this post I looked into at Balsam Lake Provincial Park and Silent lake PP both seem nice and good for fishing.

Now I'm not doing a boys hard core fishing trip which I'm doing already, but looking for nice friendly family campgrounds where I can take my canoe out and catch at least a few nice fish.

Balsam Lake is a good lake and campground but book early. If you plan on taking out a canoe, keep an eye on the weather. The lake can get pretty rough in a hurry. Been tossed around many times in that lake in a 14 foot fishing boat over the 50 years I've been going there.

If the water gets rough you can hit the Gull river and canoe up fishing for good bass action  or if you go around May 24, the walleye most years are fantastic.

Charleston Lake Provincial Park

Good Bass fishing from a canoe and possibly catch a few Lake Trout

There are areas that are gas powered watercraft restricted so canoes and kayaks have some advantage of fishing some of the better locations

118652473_10157161593296793_8799084872006582946_n.jpg

118615698_10157161594706793_570729894762057423_n.jpg