Lake Erie boys this may change the lake

AKRISONER

6 hours ago, bigugli said:

The lake went through huge changes and storm surges back in the 70's.  I remember, as a teen, watching the news on TV showing cottages falling off the shore on L Erie. Big storms and high waters were the culprits back then as well. 

Yup, I was park naturalist at Long Point Prov. Park, summers of 73 and 74, bad winds and the causeway was underwater and the water up almost to the front door of the park office and the road to the launch ramp flooded as well

edit : lost a bunch of cottages on Hastings then too

Edited by dave524

I watch a TV show called Great Lakes Now on PBS and they did a show this week on water levels on the Great Lakes. The expert on the show claimed that because the Great Lakes are relatively new there is a constant expansion of the shoreline, ie. the lake surface gets bigger as deep areas fill in and the water displaces, rising at the shoreline. This results in a loss of shoreline of about 1 foot per year. This progress is difficult to track due to rising and falling water levels. It can only be seen in long term time frames of 25 to 30 years but it ultimately means that shoreline buildings and structures are generally at risk because building codes have not taken this phenomenon into consideration. Even efforts of armoring the shoreline with stone break walls or metal "armour" walls ultimately fail all the while eliminating beaches. If these claims are true I wish they had told the goobers at the MNR before they started gentrifying the shore line at Dalousie....Bronte,,,Oakville Creek, Grimsby, Jordan, Humber River,Rouge River.. Don River etc. I guess it's only money and these days money does not seem that important especially if you are in a position to consider money in terms of "funding"

A friend of mine has a cottage on the north shore of Erie that’s been in his family for 60+ years. He said the yard facing the lake is 30% shorter than it was when the family bought it. The cottage is a good 70 feet above the lake and they get massive car-sized boulders put along the base of the cliff to protect it. The crazy part is, every November they get storms with waves so large they lift the boulders up and lodge rocks the size of grapefruit between them! I’ve seen these giant boulders balancing up on smaller rocks and it’s amazingly what the power of that lake can do. When you’re in the cottage during a storm, it vibrates every time a wave crashes into the side of the cliff below. This is the strength of the 30 footers. 

WOW, we were out there the day before but had seen the forecast coming! Sadly lots of damaging, private properties, the docks at Crystal Beach etc. Always awestruck by the power of Mother Nature, all I know is I'm glad that we were out the day before when all we had to deal with were 5-7 foot rollers!!

Edited by David Chong
  • Like 1