Arctic Char & Lake Trout Report.

Moosebunk

I always look forward to reading about your adventures.

Once again you've provided a great read.

For sure many of us think how great it would be to fish some of the places you do but just as sure very,very few would be willing to go through what you do so that you can fish these places.

I applaud you not just for sharing your fishing adventures but also for the service you provide to the people in our northern communities.

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2020 at 8:20 PM, Fisherman said:

The colour of those houses is just amazing.

Agreed!  Every town's homes should be like that, or like the ones in the Edward Scissorhands movie.

On 11/21/2020 at 7:40 AM, GregF2 said:

Great story.  Great writer and great photographer!   Really look forward to your adventures.  

Are those black flies or mosquitoes?  Does an Artic Char taste like an Alaskan Salmon?  

How is Covid up their? 

Will you get to ice fish?

No ice fishing man.  I'm on the clock 24/7 and unable to go too far.  Char are biting on Soper lake behind me, now that there's just enough ice in places to go jig 'em.  Sucks I can't because it's a huge lake that sees a great run of smaller to average char.  The char taste like a milder salmon, less oils.  It's super nutritious fish.

Those are tundra skitters that buzz more than they bite.

Covid is here in Nunavut now.  Arviat in the Hudson Bay is a town of about 3000 and in the past week they've accumulated over 100 positives.  Most are mildly symptomatic, as far as I know none are critical.  Whale Cove has positives as well.  It's a town of about 500 people.  Rankin Inlet is a hub community (meaning gateway to all others) and it has positives and lastly Saniqilluaq has positives but, being completely separated from anywhere it may have stopped it's spread by quarantine.  All these communities are in the Kivalliq (Hudson Bay area) and I'm currently far away on Baffin Island in one of the smallest communities.  

I'll be very interested to see how Arviat cases unfold.  Do not believe at 100 positives that this community will stop the spread now.  On a micro-scale of what's going on in the world, Arviat's higher than average rate of respiratory infections (including TB), it's very young population (highest birth rate in Canada) and, it's often understaffed health center and generally ill population, what happens there will be a good indicator to how Covid may affect elsewhere and, give insight to how serious "or not" the bug really is.  

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 11:55 AM, Moosebunk said:

Agreed!  Every town's homes should be like that, or like the ones in the Edward Scissorhands movie.

No ice fishing man.  I'm on the clock 24/7 and unable to go too far.  Char are biting on Soper lake behind me, now that there's just enough ice in places to go jig 'em.  Sucks I can't because it's a huge lake that sees a great run of smaller to average char.  The char taste like a milder salmon, less oils.  It's super nutritious fish.

Those are tundra skitters that buzz more than they bite.

Covid is here in Nunavut now.  Arviat in the Hudson Bay is a town of about 3000 and in the past week they've accumulated over 100 positives.  Most are mildly symptomatic, as far as I know none are critical.  Whale Cove has positives as well.  It's a town of about 500 people.  Rankin Inlet is a hub community (meaning gateway to all others) and it has positives and lastly Saniqilluaq has positives but, being completely separated from anywhere it may have stopped it's spread by quarantine.  All these communities are in the Kivalliq (Hudson Bay area) and I'm currently far away on Baffin Island in one of the smallest communities.  

I'll be very interested to see how Arviat cases unfold.  Do not believe at 100 positives that this community will stop the spread now.  On a micro-scale of what's going on in the world, Arviat's higher than average rate of respiratory infections (including TB), it's very young population (highest birth rate in Canada) and, it's often understaffed health center and generally ill population, what happens there will be a good indicator to how Covid may affect elsewhere and, give insight to how serious "or not" the bug really is.  

That is so sad that they have so many cases there after going this long with no cases. I was polling for them to keep the perfect record of no cases.