LESS WE FORGET

misfish

My whole family were born and raised in the West Flanders of Belgium. My Granddad and his brother (Uncle Bennie) fought in the trenches of the 1914/1918 war. After Belgium became occupied by the Germans.; he/they had to lay their guns down and became a slave laborer's for the Germans.  He was allowed to go home at night and that's where his fight began again, with the underground and black-market. Black market to feed the family and the underground to screw with the the German's occupation. The stories from both granddad and Uncle Bennie are slowly fading in my memory; but I know they never stopped fighting. My Dad was 12 years old when WW2 broke out and he followed his Dad's and Uncle's sense of fighting where it counted, in the resistance. They're all gone now; but no one can take the pride I have for them. 

Dan.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DanD said:

My whole family were born and raised in the West Flanders of Belgium. My Granddad and his brother (Uncle Bennie) fought in the trenches of the 1914/1918 war. After Belgium became occupied by the Germans.; he/they had to lay their guns down and became a slave laborer's for the Germans.  He was allowed to go home at night and that's where his fight began again, with the underground and black-market. Black market to feed the family and the underground to screw with the the German's occupation. The stories from both granddad and Uncle Bennie are slowly fading in my memory; but I know they never stopped fighting. My Dad was 12 years old when WW2 broke out and he followed his Dad's and Uncle's sense of fighting where it counted, in the resistance. They're all gone now; but no one can take the pride I have for them. 

Dan.

Well said Dan, and the memories you have will live on forever