Navionics Requires DATA to work! Useless!

Raycaster

Out on Lake Ontario Sunday I decide to turn on my tablet with navionics to check contours. I have a paid subscription and have had the navionic app for years. Navionic forces users to now pay yearly for features most wont use. Yes, I don’t have to subscribe and I can use old maps but Navionics conveniently disables Raymarine sonar integration also... THIS WAS NEVER A PAID FEATURE to begin with!

Anyways, guess what? The boating map now requires DATA for you to login! So without data it is non functional. Navionics kindly allows me to start a “free trial” if I wish though. Yes I can hotspot from my phone but that is not the point. What are they thinking? Piracy protection? Selling our user info? I dont get it...

Im so angry. Ok end of rant. 

Ok, tried again and now Navionics working without data. Not sure why it didn’t work on Sunday 3 miles off of Bronte on Lake Ontario.

I am working on setting up OpenCPN for my tablet anyways. Its free, very clunky and still have no maps installed (properly) but I will give it a shot.

As for fishing, it was a great day even without fish in the boat. Followed suggestions and trolled shallow for a few hours with very few marks. Went out deeper and 90 to 130fow saw action.

Downrigger jumped twice but nothing to show ( probably small ). Was just a perfect day anyways and really looking forward to next year Lake Ontario fishing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

big question guys      I have a lowrance chirp 7 elite combo, had it for 4 5 years I think , never used the navionics or did any update thing,  just a day or so ago I did plug in the chip into my computer and discovered it was out of date and coud be updated for around $120 I think,, anyway I fish Lake temagami in my houseboat all summer and take my 14 ft aluminum with me with the fishfinder installed my question is how long does the new subscription last and what do I get with it , I only plan to use it on temagami but understand it gives a lot of detail and thats what I want as Im retired now and want to discover new fishing spots on the lake, also I see theres conversations about phones with the chip in that can be used Im not a computer guy so its a little cloudy    any direction would be greatfully appreciated

I wouldn't waste my $$$ on a subscription hoping for updated lake maps for Temagami....   What I'd do is power up the graph, check the maps you've got now and compare them to the Navionics maps online.  I'd be willing to bet they're identical.  

Edited by BillM

The only way you're going to get an update of Temagami is to map it yourself. Last time it was surveyed was probably 1903 with two drunks in a row boat with 200 feet of rope and a rock.They found three common depths and drew a 140' depth circle, too bad they missed the 8 FOW tower in the center of the circle. You can drive your boat along shore on GPS and it'll show you're 100' in the bush on the South side and can't get to shore on the screen on the North !

BTW, if you need to use a cell it will work standing on the "Bell Beavers" lodge at the bottom of the portage into Browns Lake from Ferguson Bay. Even my flip phone will work there...

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 2