Fee for boating

Terry

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/transport-canada-floats-new-user-fee-pleasure-craft-1.5793326?fbclid=IwAR22sykmJxg8gtRENv7g77LL-RO1uEboNfM6LCvoHU9WqDSa3juGNYjmtII

Ottawa wants to expand licence requirement on pleasure craft, add fee

Paul Withers · CBC News · Posted: Nov 09, 2020 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: November 9

pat-nelder.jpg
Pat Nelder with Boating Atlantic says the recreational boating industry supports user fees to help pay for safety programs as long as the cost is reasonable. (Brian MacKay/CBC)

The recreational boating season is mostly over, but Transport Canada is floating a plan to expand the number of pleasure craft that require a licence, shorten the renewal period and introduce a user fee on those licences.

The proposed rule changes would provide the government with more information to identify the owners of recreational boats abandoned or wrecked in Canada's lakes, rivers and oceans.

8 hours ago, Terry said:

I think it’s the registration they are talking about making larger boats with small or no motors get registration numbers and they are talking about a fee every few  years to re register 

So your saying yaks and float boats  like mine ?

Nobody is gonna like it, but surprised it's taken this long. I got pulled over with my fold a boat and 5Hp on a lake in Delta NY about 20 years back. I told the officer we didn't need registration numbers for anything under 10HP and he said "you put an electric trolling motor on a dock and I'll bust you down here"! Thankfully he was interested in the boat construction and let me go.. without asking for a fishing licence..... :Gonefishing:

Some vinyl numbers and a sheet of paper from the laser printer... :)

3 hours ago, irishfield said:

Nobody is gonna like it, but surprised it's taken this long. I got pulled over with my fold a boat and 5Hp on a lake in Delta NY about 20 years back. I told the officer we didn't need registration numbers for anything under 10HP and he said "you put an electric trolling motor on a dock and I'll bust you down here"! Thankfully he was interested in the boat construction and let me go.. without asking for a fishing licence..... :Gonefishing:

Some vinyl numbers and a sheet of paper from the laser printer... :)

Just like when one of our crew was refused entry at the border by U.S. Customs concerning an old Marijuana conviction and tried to explain to that U.S. Customs officer that he had been granted a Queens pardon for that old charge the American told the Canadian citizen as soon as America got themselves another Queen he would reconsider his decision.  Same goes for an Ontario law in New York State. 

• Haha 1

Now a boat drivers test i could support.  

Instead of parallel parking they test you at boat launching and retrieval

250hp or more special requirements and license to ensure your not an A $$.

Jet ski owners must get a learners ticket first.

Government finding more ways to make boating expensive.

• Like 2

Well up in my neck of the woods most people have never registered their boats at all. Plenty of big a$$ boats running around sans numbers here. No one cares. You are never asked to provide any paperwork.

It's not like the feds will ever come looking for us miscreants up here.

Fed: Sir I need to see your license

Me: huh? License? I don't need no stinking license!!!

Fed: Oh, you're getting a ticket it's $50

Me: Hmmmm, so you spent $11,000 flying around the arctic so you could give me a %50 ticket? That's just mint bye!!! 

OH and something else strange has been going on.

Ever since the gun ban was announced my sonar has been seeing this more and more. It's really weird. 

124570990_10164257728530534_5160498104493101363_o.jpg.a7284ecb7880f0e73d522dd4def37b40.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Well up in my neck of the woods most people have never registered their boats at all. Plenty of big a$$ boats running around sans numbers here. No one cares. You are never asked to provide any paperwork.

It's not like the feds will ever come looking for us miscreants up here.

Fed: Sir I need to see your license

Me: huh? License? I don't need no stinking license!!!

Fed: Oh, you're getting a ticket it's $50

Me: Hmmmm, so you spent $11,000 flying around the arctic so you could give me a %50 ticket? That's just mint bye!!! 

OH and something else strange has been going on.

Ever since the gun ban was announced my sonar has been seeing this more and more. It's really weird. 

124570990_10164257728530534_5160498104493101363_o.jpg.a7284ecb7880f0e73d522dd4def37b40.jpg

one of those objects has absolutely nothing to do with a gun ban 😆

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2020 at 8:03 PM, Terry said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/transport-canada-floats-new-user-fee-pleasure-craft-1.5793326?fbclid=IwAR22sykmJxg8gtRENv7g77LL-RO1uEboNfM6LCvoHU9WqDSa3juGNYjmtII

Ottawa wants to expand licence requirement on pleasure craft, add fee

Paul Withers · CBC News · Posted: Nov 09, 2020 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: November 9

Pat Nelder with Boating Atlantic says the recreational boating industry supports user fees to help pay for safety programs as long as the cost is reasonable. (Brian MacKay/CBC)

The recreational boating season is mostly over, but Transport Canada is floating a plan to expand the number of pleasure craft that require a licence, shorten the renewal period and introduce a user fee on those licences.

The proposed rule changes would provide the government with more information to identify the owners of recreational boats abandoned or wrecked in Canada's lakes, rivers and oceans.

Typical Liberal government Bull way to get more taxes.  

"The proposed rule changes would provide the government with more information to identify the owners of recreational boats abandoned or wrecked in Canada's lakes, rivers and oceans."

Oh yeah, that is a major problem.  We all see thousands of abandoned and wrecked boats in our rivers and oceans.  Its a catastrophe!  This is going to play well with the big city lefties that will believe whatever they are told.  

Edited by Canuck