Fall warm front muskies

Rizzo

If there is any weather pattern that has ever spelled doom for me, it is a warming trend in late fall. Of course I have a 2 day trip booked to Pigeon for later this week ..right in the middle of a warming trend. Over the years I recall many a gorgeous late fall day on the water...and what I also recall is the fishing sucked. I would love to hear any success stories under these conditions if you have them...and would really love to hear what worked. If you also just feel the need to tell me, "yes...you are doomed" that is fine too. 

You"ll do way better on the water then on the couch at home.

Just keep positive, get out there and get them.

Over the years seen it go both ways!

Will be fishing for them on the O.R. every day as well so if it makes you feel any better you won't be alone :)

Good luck!

Edited by lifeisfun

I'd suggest you study the solunar charts and plan to be on your best spot(s) throwing confidence baits during any peak times. The rest of the time just cover water and conserve your energy/ intensity for those peak times. Maybe search for a few new spots to add to your peak activity milk run. 

My experience has been it can be tough. But the warm spell is a week long, so they might adjust and start moving. Also they gotta eat at some point in a week I'd think!

But who knows? 

For other species... sometimes warm days/few degree hike in water temps can trigger feed mode... but my experience with musky has been tougher days and short windows. But that is pretty much musky fishing in general in the fall. No banger days for myself however during the warm spells.

I'm fishing it too. Just gonna give it a solid go and enjoy the nice weather! 

43 minutes ago, BillM said:

Skunk out of HH today, but that's Gbay muskie fishing for ya.  Weather was mint!  Back at it tomorrow, going to try a different section of water. 

You and I know that if you hook one it's going to be a beauty.  I'm deciding on either Upper Niagara or St.Clair Saturday.  Confidence is a little low now catching 1 in the last 4 trips.

11 hours ago, LostAnotherOne said:

You and I know that if you hook one it's going to be a beauty.  I'm deciding on either Upper Niagara or St.Clair Saturday.  Confidence is a little low now catching 1 in the last 4 trips.

And that's the allure of Gbay.  You've got a legitimate shot at the next world record.   The fish out there are just built differently.   I know what the pros are talking about when they mention the mental game, I haven't netted a muskie since the 29th of Sept lol.   Maybe I'll go find those giant schools of bait fish and do some jigging today.

Edited by BillM

for me...upper niagara is 3 hours driving round trip, and St Clair is 6 hours driving round trip. St. Clair is where I go! Used to fish Upper Niagara 15 years ago but found the fish per hour fishing ratio waaay better on St C even when you factor in the drive!

The driving is sometimes the difference maker and this weekend it’s probably going to be Niagara.  Not much boat traffic on Niagara and getting no action the past few times on St.Clair has me needing a change of scenery.  Your right Bill about GBay.  Who says there isn’t a 80lber cruising around in there lol.  Just make sure you got a good strong rod holder when trolling in late November.

4 hours ago, BillM said:

And that's the allure of Gbay.  You've got a legitimate shot at the next world record.   The fish out there are just built differently.   I know what the pros are talking about when they mention the mental game, I haven't netted a muskie since the 29th of Sept lol.   Maybe I'll go find those giant schools of bait fish and do some jigging today.

doing better than me bill, i havent caught a musky larger than a snot rocket since 2017 on the bay! lol

Edited by AKRISONER

20 minutes ago, LostAnotherOne said:

Cause Bill has got dreams of replacing Ken O’Brians big record.  

Maybe downsizing your gear would work better " Ken O`Brien, a 28-year-old angler from Toronto, was trolling for walleyes with a 4-inch Countdown Rapala when he hooked the fish.  "

• Haha 1

I should probably just start trolling harnesses for walleye in the spring, I'm guessing more muskies are caught that way then any other lol

Put another few hours on the Bay today, went shallow found some weeds and about a 35in pike who inhaled a Bulldawg.   No muskies.   Back at it this weekend.