Lapidary hobby

Anyone on here involved in lapidary or have any supplies or equipment they want to get rid of? My brother recently gave me some basic equipment and supplies and I started playing around with it. There is a lot to learn but I am really enjoying it on those days I'm not fishing. I would love to hook up with others that are involved and share some ideas and information. 

Definitely check out a local club.  They often charge a yearly fee however you will get access to many tools, equipment, knowledge, etc.  Fantastic way of getting your hands dirty without having to pay the price for the expensive equipment.  This community is quite welcoming and super extra friendly I find.  If you're a handy man you can look into building your own equipment, depending on what you are trying to achieve of course.  I have no first hand experience in lapidary work however do come across articles/forum questions and glance through.  A very good resource is www.mindat.org  - not lapidary specific by any means however the greatest resource online for minerals.  You can even go as far as hunting your own, local material.  Just type in the name of any town and a map will pop up with different localities in that area.   You will never look at roadcuts the same way again ;)  There is a fantastic spot near Bancroft that you wont need much more than a bucket to collect amazonite, peristerite and others that you can fashion into cabochons and what not.  If you have any questions shoot me a message.  Keep us posted with stuff you make! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not into lapidary myself more of a amateur mineralogist but the GMCS in Scarborough has quite a few folks if memory serves 

https://www.scarbgemclub.ca/

The Gemboree in Bancroft is a decent place although Covid has killed it in 2020 , maybe 2021? Also keep an eye on Maxsold auction site, I see quite a few pieces of Lapidary equipment get posted yearly. Already mentioned is Mindat , a great resource for mineral hunting. Your tag says Lindsay so your not far from a place called Titanite Hill (Gibson Road occurrence) in Tory Hill, Crown Land but hunting happens this time of year so be safe if you head out there. 

1 hour ago, ckewley said:

I'm not into lapidary myself more of a amateur mineralogist but the GMCS in Scarborough has quite a few folks if memory serves 

https://www.scarbgemclub.ca/

The Gemboree in Bancroft is a decent place although Covid has killed it in 2020 , maybe 2021? Also keep an eye on Maxsold auction site, I see quite a few pieces of Lapidary equipment get posted yearly. Already mentioned is Mindat , a great resource for mineral hunting. Your tag says Lindsay so your not far from a place called Titanite Hill (Gibson Road occurrence) in Tory Hill, Crown Land but hunting happens this time of year so be safe if you head out there. 

Wow, thanks for the info, I am slowly gathering quite a list of resourses, much appreciated😊

Forgot to add, 2 local Youtubers have excellent channels that while aren't really into Lapidary, the one cuts and polishes stones quite regularly & the other is always on the hunt for gem quality minerals & has them cut. Plus they both tend to tell you some great spots to go digging for stones yourself. 

Sorry can't link to their pages as I'm at work & Youtube is ixnayed but look up meminer & caver461 , Have bumped into both of these guys multiple times out in the field & are both top notch guy's that want to help you. Greg (meminer) has a awesome dog that's always on the hunt & he fishes as well (although not all that much anymore) & Michael (caver461) as said always on the lookout for gem quality stuff so he often gives away some great stuff he's dug up if it doesn't fit his specifications.