Cut braid

captpierre

Anybody using fluorocarbon as the main line on a baitcaster Muskie fishing ? 

Found somebody’s Muskie lure floating.  Still attached to leader and about 10 yds of pretty heavy braid. Maybe 80 lb PP. Not hung up on anything.  I’m guessing it got cut off by zebra muscles up on weeds. Happened to me trolling for eyes with 15 lb PP.  Got too close rounding a weedbed.  Line goes slack like someone cut the line with a knife.  I’m considering  fluoro for the main line, not just leader. I guess you sacrifice length with the thicker fluoro.  But I’ve never come close to being spooled with heavy braid.  I hear the new fluoro is easier to work with than the stuff from years ago.  Any comments?

Peter  

AB08B3A9-B521-4927-9B70-41599D2F886D.jpeg

99A43691-EC42-4B1B-B11D-746A65E8A950.jpeg

I use the Knot to Kinky titanium wire leader for Walleye on Lake Ontario,  you could try some of the heavier lb test for musky. It hasn't hurt my catch rate. Ihave no fluro on my boat or reels. Here is a pic from my Wolf cam of 12 lb test fluro....you know the "invisible stuff"

Edited by Yellow Fever

Was it a Stanbait in dark perch you found on Gbay with a Husky muskie leader attached?   lol (Irish knows the baits I'm talking about)..   Flouro main line isn't going to help when you go from 30ft to 5ft in a blink of an eye, those zebra muscles will slice whatever they come in contact with.   I run 5ft leaders when trolling muskie with 80lb braid as main line.   I take 10ft of main line off every time I'm out on the water just in case there's a nick from something I didn't see.   Nothing you can really do about it but pay attention.   

• Like 1