Sturgeon Lake revisited

Big Cliff

Stopped by my old stomping grounds the other day just to check things out. Actually I went to the next door neighbours so I wouldn't bother anyone. Boy a lot has changed, the whole shoreline looks overgrown and there were a lot of weeds piled up.  One of the things I use to love in the fall was tossing a line in the evenings and catching a walleye or two. I did give it a try but there were so many weeds floating you just couldn't fish it. Sad in a way, I use to keep it so nice and clean. I do miss living on the lake but I don't miss all the work involved, that's a younger mans life 😊

Haven't made brisket lately but I did smoke some clams last week. When I was in Myrtle Beach last winter I managed to dig, steam and vac seal about 15 lbs of nice fresh clams to bring home. I decided to try smoking some and boy are they good. I do have to get a batch of jerky started soon, kids love it as a stocking stuffer at Christmas 😊

• Like 1

Yes the weeds have really got bad in the last 3-4 years in my Kawartha haunts. I have a number of shore spots that are not fishable in the late summer or fall anymore. The kids and grandkids come up for visits and we always go for a swim but the water is much weedier and lotsa algae compared to years gone by as well. Even my fall fishing spot on Simcoe is the same. Can't even throw the tinnier in there anymore. Weeds and muck you can't even row or paddle through. Hopefully someone dredges it out.

Hey Steve, I was wondering if you got out to Simco this fall, those trips were some wonderful memories. Give me a shout if you want to get together (social distanced 😊) . I  won't be going away this winter so I plan to do a lot of ice fishing. 

3 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Hey Steve, I was wondering if you got out to Simco this fall, those trips were some wonderful memories. Give me a shout if you want to get together (social distanced 😊) . I  won't be going away this winter so I plan to do a lot of ice fishing. 

We will definitely have to get together for some Simcoe perching during the ice season if you are not heading south this winter.  I'm in 100%.

Hopefully this winter's weather allows Simcoe to freeze up this winter and stay somewhat consistent. Last season was to sketchy to leave my hut out; so I didn't even try. So again lets hope we get a cold season; to enjoy "safe" ice fishing on the Lady. Cliff if we can get the hut out; there'll be a key and welcome sign for you. Working on a wind generator to keep the batteries charged, without having to use the gas generator. Like I've said before if the hut's not being used, it's useless having it.   

Dan.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:18 AM, Big Cliff said:

I miss those trips as well. Lots of fun banter with good people

10 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Why not a small solar panel to keep the batteries charged. 

Over cast days, snow covered panel or at night equals very minimal or no charge happening. The minimum size solar I would even bother trying, would be a 100 watt (8.3 amps)and that rating is at optimum sun and alignment conditions. They're going for about $500.00 and that doesn't include a controller. I can build a relatively cheap wind generator out of an old car alternator and a handful of neodymium magnets. In other words convert an electro magnet alternator into a permanent magnet generator. Which could easily produce 20-30 + amps at moderate wind speeds. What do we have more of 5+ miles out on a lake in mid February; wind or sun. LOL  My last thought is that a hundred bucks worth of equipment compared to 5-6 hundred won't hurt as bad if/when they grow a set of legs and disappears.

Dan.

• Like 1