Shoring boat when launching, thoughts?

Tjames09

I have occasionally camped in some rough spots overnight, so what I have done is tie boat to something on the shore, let it float out a bit...like a couple feet, then drop an anchor off the back to hold boat in place. If it is just for launching, then yes, I carefully pull it up onto the shore.

Edited by Rizzo

What I did was to tie about 30 feet of 3/8"bungee cord to an anchor. Drop it in the water so that I could still reach shore by the time the bungee was fully stretched. Tie a bow line off to a tree or whatever and then let the bungee pull the boat back out to the deeper water. you can buy rolls of bungee from places like Princess Auto

Princess Auto

Dan.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I launch alone a fair bit, and I just tie the bow rope to the back of the trailer, back up and the boat floats off and I just pull it to shore gently with the truck. I've gotten some looks and people wondering if the boat is just going to float away like they think I forgot to tie it off lol.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LefroyFisherman said:

I launch alone a fair bit, and I just tie the bow rope to the back of the trailer, back up and the boat floats off and I just pull it to shore gently with the truck. I've gotten some looks and people wondering if the boat is just going to float away like they think I forgot to tie it off lol.

That's my procedure.

Try to find a couple of 3-4' farm poles. 4-6" diameter would probably be good. Lay them next to each other along shore where you plan to beach. Once boat is off trailer, maneuver your boat to your logs. Lift the bow and shimmy and pull until you feel your rig is secure without damaging it. On hard ground the logs might roll. So don't turn your back if you aren't tied off lol.  

I have a ranger with a black bottom. I pull it up on shore a lot. I have a hambys keel guard. With a keel guard I wouldn't be to scared of rocks. What I was impressed with was how many scratches pulling up into bullrushes, wood, and cattails puts on the fiberglass. My old lund had somewhat of an aluminum strake that acted like a keel guard. Pulled up gently on rocks and into bullrushes and wood. Definitely be prepared for some minor cosmetic damage.

I launched my 14 foot tinny by tying it to the trailer as well. But one time the knot slipped loose and off the boat went! Floated right past the photographer on the dock. I asked why he didn't grab it and he just shrugged! Had to swim out to get it in late October! I beach this boat all the time and it does have a few scratches on the hull but it's a tin garbage can. For the glass boat I have a keel guard. Easy to install and takes a beating