Tiller or side console

pike slayer

10 minutes ago, akaShag said:

I was going to reply until I saw Bunk had done so already, with his in-depth review (and with which I agreed when I read it and probably still would).

And yes, I have owned a pile of boats, various hulls and designs, and would not have a boat unless it was a tiller.  But then again, I am an old cranky jerk like Fisherman..........😉

Doug

You got it, if it isn't lower back pestering me, it's the mid upper back slowing me down.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 8:39 PM, pike slayer said:

Thanks for all the replies guys. Great read moose bunk. Seems like tiller is definitely where it’s at. Now what boat would ppl recommend? I want around a 16’ what are ppls thoughts on the 15’ g3?

8 years, 3400hrs on the past 60 Yammy tiller on a 16.5' Rebel.  Trailered from Ottawa to Windsor to Montreal, New York State to Thunder Bay repeatedly, all over the map, plenty big water time during the right conditions. Sold without a leaky rivet, sold for 65% what I paid for it new.  So in other words, Lund is the recommendation here.

41 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

If I had to do it all over again, I'd seriously look at a Stanley 16 tiller wide model.

Interesting boats, but they appear to have a very shallow transom?  I'd be worried about waves coming in over the transom, especially if back-trolling?

Doug

Pictures show a solid splashwell, yes, but methinks the outboard is going to wallow in the waves.  That was on an 18 foot tiller model for sale by some marina.

Funny enough, every once in a while I think I might let my beloved Sylvan go and get something newer.  Stanley sure looks attractive, and thanks for that.

Doug