Tiller or side console

pike slayer

8 hours ago, pike slayer said:

No no I don’t want to go broke haha. I’d like to keep it under 20k

The first one should keep you in that range and has .100 versus .067 aluminum and has the extra length and beam width. I believe it would be a better purchase in the long run.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 7:17 AM, pike slayer said:

No no I don’t want to go broke haha. I’d like to keep it under 20k

Tiller for sure with what you will be doing. Be patient, go used and be constantly on FB market place, Kijiji and of course the classified's here when you are really seriously looking. For longevity, stick with Cresliner, Lund, Alumacraft imo.  The well looked after boats and good deals are gone in minutes. Also be willing to drive a long way to see a boat.  I bought a used 2014 Lund Pro Guide 1675 in 2017 off a guy on kijiji in great shape for under 20K. I was the first to call and in 1 hour he has received 20 phone calls to buy the boat. 

Good luck with your search! 

You may also want to consider the horsepower and weight distribution expected. I have a 16 ft SC with a 50 hp and if it was a tiller it would probably have a hard time getting up on plane with my fat a$$ at the back of the boat. I do love the open space of a tiller tho 

I started with a side console then I had a full windshield now I have a tiller. They all have pros and cons but the tiller is my favourite so far. I like the tiller arm much better than a steering wheel for trolling and for a 17 foot boat the space is pretty good. The full windshield boat was the same size but space was tight and the windshield acted like a sail if you were drift fishing. One thing I miss from my last boat is a rear casting platform but I think I might build one. The other boats were more versatile as family boats but I’m not pulling kids around anymore so this works for me. 8404A8B0-682C-408B-8A11-95DF63740C46.jpeg.4101aa43872952a89281810c03b6feaa.jpeg

Edited by tomkat
Add content
  • Like 1

Thx. I just kinda stumbled across the boat and picked it up cheap. I sold the old 2 stroke that was on it and put the new Yamaha on it and added a nice Lowrance. The carpet was in bad shape and literally floating at the back of the boat so I Replaced it with vinyl. I had a soft spot where the rear seat is so I cut it out and put in some new plywood and now it’s solid. These old Rangers have composite stringers and transom so they are pretty durable. 30 years old and doesn’t leak a drop. 

• Like 1

Think it totally depends on where and how you fish.

75% of the year I like my open concept boat.

But the next boat I'm getting is a full windshield I think. I've fished the full windshield late year and think I'm convinced it's the way to go for me next boat.

9 hours ago, JoshS said:

But the next boat I'm getting is a full windshield I think. I've fished the full windshield late year and think I'm convinced it's the way to go for me next boat

You won't ever regret that decision

• Like 2

One of the best set ups I have ever fished out of was on a trip to Brennan Harbour Lodge

Its on Lake Huron and they had the option to upgrade to a 17.5 foot Lund Outfitter with a 50 HP Yamaha Tiller with all of the fixings (power start, tilt, RPM monitor for trolling)  - it was awesome even on rough days 

I will say though I am not sure it would be super comfortable come the fall (our trip was in August and it was 30 Degrees everyday) compared to a dual windshield 

I don't own a boat currently - have a kayak and various OPB (other peoples boats) I fish out of when at the cottage and such but I have always thought that when I am ready to buy a boat I would like a tiller set up like that Lund at Brennan Harbour 

Cheers

Andrew

I can see the appeal of a tiller, all that deck space, etc.   But when the crap weather comes (and it always does)  full windshield with a top is the only way to go, especially if you are fishing early or late in the season.

I don’t think there is no such thing as the perfect boat .. But I do think a tiller is as close as it gets.Yes full windshield all covered in would b nice but how do u fish properly? If it’s windy u have a sail and pushes the boat . If ur trolling and u gotta stick it tight a tiller is the only way to go .. drifting the same .. I guess if ur old and can’t keep warm in a tiller u r probably just trolling under the canopy ... long runs on a open lake ya dress like ur goin on the snowmobile...jiggin trolling casting drifting and staying vertical a tiller is downtown..But that’s just my opinion 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heavy Current said:

I don’t think there is no such thing as the perfect boat .. But I do think a tiller is as close as it gets.Yes full windshield all covered in would b nice but how do u fish properly? If it’s windy u have a sail and pushes the boat . If ur trolling and u gotta stick it tight a tiller is the only way to go .. drifting the same .. I guess if ur old and can’t keep warm in a tiller u r probably just trolling under the canopy ... long runs on a open lake ya dress like ur goin on the snowmobile...jiggin trolling casting drifting and staying vertical a tiller is downtown..But that’s just my opinion 

You've never fished out of a full console boat have you, lol.    I've been as close as 15ft to shore in some spots the last month fishing muskies on Gbay.   Full top, pouring rain I'm warm and dry and enjoying myself.   I didn't even have to put my Guidewear on.   Having the enclosure up and it being windy makes zero difference, with the kicker and Terrova with IPilot Link, it's effortless.   Hell I could have a nap out there and touch nothing and just let the boat do all the work :)  

Hey Bill .. yes I have lots of times outta top of the line console boats .. iam not saying they aren’t nice . When it’s raining and crappy u trolled and stayed dry ..perfect ..that’s what works for u ..iam just saying if u want a boat for fishabilty u can’t beat a tiller.. if ur makin long runs on big water ya can’t beat a console .. I just prefer fishing out of tiller because u can adapt to a lot more situations better .. just my opinion 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to reply until I saw Bunk had done so already, with his in-depth review (and with which I agreed when I read it and probably still would).

And yes, I have owned a pile of boats, various hulls and designs, and would not have a boat unless it was a tiller.  But then again, I am an old cranky jerk like Fisherman..........😉

Doug

• Haha 2