Is the Umarex AirSaber air archery rifle considered a Bow, a Firearm or something else?

Mr.Pike

Where do these fall under the law? There are a few manufacturers who make them (AirSaber, AirBow, Air Javelin..). The website says they are legal, but I need to know for sure.
They are muzzle loading air rifles that use compressed air to shoot arrows under 500 ft/s, yet still have the impact to take down deer and even moose. Basically an air powered cross bow. Good for hunters who struggle with crossbows or long bows and where a firearm is not an option.

Are they considered a form of Bow, a Firearm or something new?

Can I hunt deer with them in bow season in a location that allows bow hunting for deer?

https://www.airgunsource.ca/fc/umarex-airsaber-pcp-arrow-rifle.html

https://blog.gorillasurplus.com/home/2020/3/3/what-is-an-airbow-used-for

Welcome to the board. The answer you seek needs to be answered by your local providence DNR where you plan on hunting. I would not go by information that is posted by anyone unless it is an official document that you can carry. 

Art

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, aplumma said:

Welcome to the board. The answer you seek needs to be answered by your local providence DNR where you plan on hunting. I would not go by information that is posted by anyone unless it is an official document that you can carry. 

Art

You are correct Art. I would want it right from the horses mouth . I have sent an email asking the question Mr.Pike, as this would interest me as well .

I got my reply this morning

Thank you for your email.

Airguns are considered firearms under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, but are not considered bows/crossbows.

Airguns may be used to hunt small game (other than wild turkey and bullfrog) in Ontario, provided they are not restricted or prohibited firearms under the federal Firearms Act. Only bows, muzzle-loading guns, shotguns or rifles may be used to hunt deer, moose and elk in Ontario. Airguns do not qualify as a shotgun, rifle or muzzle-loading gun. 

Should the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) consider making future regulatory changes, such as changes to permissible firearms used for hunting, they would be subject to a public consultation process.

If you require further assistance, please contact the Natural Resources Information and Support Centre at the toll-free numbers below

We are currently in our peak season. Call volumes are typically higher early in the week, particularly after the weekend. The best time to reach us is Monday-Friday at 8:30am EST. Callers may receive busy signals and disconnects because of the call volume.

Regards,

NRISC web reader - rb

Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry

Natural Resources Information and Support Centre

300 Water Street

Peterborough, ON K9J 3C7

Tel:  1-800-667-1940 / 1-800-387-7011

TTY: 1-866-686-6072

[email protected]

• Like 3

• 1 month later...