From Erie to Lake O

JonnyButts

Had a good weekend of fishing. Safe to say the fall temperatures have arrived. Started out Friday night with my pal Mepps , we got out and successfully washed all the musky lures we had on hand.431A4CDC-E327-4577-8EB4-9CA8CC4A3F3C.jpeg.bef57fd4f2611210a70543ac98a38b55.jpeg

Seems like the fish have pushed off and moved out of the early fall spots we were previously having success on. It’s always a good time when I get out with Mepps and with a friendship spanning 20 or so years , it makes for lots to reminisce and talk about . Friday -Fish 1 - Jonny -NIL 

Early Saturday morning , myself and 2 of my sons headed out to the Upper Niagara. I had booked with a local guide . 6 hours of smallie hunting was on the menu . 

Should have know when the sunrise was so red that the weather would be dicey. “Red sky in the morning , sailors take warning “or something like that my Papa used to say. F1AB02AA-E836-4985-AF09-98EC15FA017B.jpeg.e259ce9e467c278f24e3013fc1d3e700.jpeg

We launched out from Black Creek and started drifting and drop shottin plastics . 2 hours and nothing much happening . We switch over to swimbaits and start casting . I got a dink just before the rain moved in. 

Rain was not in the forecast but rain is what we got , wind picked up going opposite the current which created some interesting waters to be out on. We kept casting . Somewhere in between getting rained and splashed I tied into a nice smallie , biggest of this season by a pound or two. D94AB29D-3C1A-4A10-B186-8D98C149F653.jpeg.b320162d591d216a60ef5b8c76a7d58b.jpeg

Another 2 hours of nada and our time was up. Neither of the lads caught anything but we did have a good time out there and the banter was top notch . 

Saturday- Fish 2 - Jonny -half a nil 

Got up this morning and headed over to the job site to make sure my operator and gas tech got set up alright . Finished up there by 10 am and decided to head down to the local and cast some spoons. Only myself and another guy with the waders on. We took turns landing fish. Caught some big males and a couple of females with eggs still spitting out of them. Restocked on Roe which is always great with the browns starting to come in . 97CC2E7B-2608-4D64-8837-8D68B1D1A38D.jpeg.560d878fe9cd70598ef4835a9473a01c.jpegBDC5DD81-E466-4B45-8F61-EC36EB0A775E.jpeg.35e23a13c7e4e88b9fd8664ae566cfb7.jpeg

Sunday finished out great, definitely time to break out my insulated waders as I was freezing my nards off today in my lites. Lost a bunch of hardware but when you have a multiple fish day it doesn’t seem to hurt that bad . 

Back to work tomorrow but this time of year it won’t be more than a day or two before I’m casting a line for something somewhere . 

Tight Lines 

J.B. 

Edited by JonnyButts
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Rizzo said:

good read nice you got into some fish....those dang musky can be so frustrating though

They are the most challenging fishing out there in my opinion but when one explodes on a big lure , ain’t nothing like it in fresh water fishing! 

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Nice few days. The weekend was not bad as they called for. Rain did not start here til around 10 am.

Yup,I was looking at the neos yesterday and dusted them off.

Gotta love the weather man eh Misfish, only job where you can be wrong all the time and not get fired for it. What Union do they have 😂

9 hours ago, JonnyButts said:

They are the most challenging fishing out there in my opinion but when one explodes on a big lure , ain’t nothing like it in fresh water fishing! 

Been about 3 years now since I quit fishing but I still miss those big hit's

6 hours ago, mamona said:

Looks like you had a fun anyway. I was in Muskoka this weekend, it was brutal.

Weather bad up there or the fishing Mamona? 

5 minutes ago, lew said:

Been about 3 years now since I quit fishing but I still miss those big hit's

There really isn’t anything like it Lew. I’m still on the hunt for that 50” this season.