Outboard initial start

super dave

Hey guys.  

Got another outboard question.   I picked up a 6hp Evinrude early 90s. It just won't initially start. If I give a little squirt of carb cleaner or starter fluid in the carb starts right up and stays running.  Idles perfect and revs great.    Then starting is no issue.  It's when I leave over night it won't start again.  Need to shoot a bit of fluid in the carb to get it going then no issues again.   Fuel pump is working. I took off the hose to the carb and it's pumping gas when it's running.   Any ideas?   I will clean the carbs but just weird how it runs great after it gets going.  

So I tried starting it with a long rope wrapped around the fly wheel and it worked.   My theory is the starter rope is too short. Does that make sense? I can see that the rope is too short to wind on all the thingy.  I attached a pic.   Fully extended the rope is 36 inches long.  Should it be longer?   I thought I read it should be 54 but my arms are not that long. 

20201016_183743.jpg

It could be a bit of a weak stator assembly and being able to get a more robust spin is helping to start the engine. I would replace the pull start rope with a longer one and see what happens.

It could also be cracked or worn reeds too. This will show up in a compression test.

Correct. If the compression is low it makes it much harder to initially draw fuel into the cylinder.

Wrapping the rope around the flywheel spins the motor over faster to help combat the issue. 

So I would change the rope and then do a compression test. That info will point you where to go next.

Update.  Compression is low.  I'm getting around 70 psi in both cylinders.  I got some marvel mystery oil hoping it will free up the rings.   I can hear air escaping somewhere in the prop area to confirm the low compression.   Once I dump the oil in the cylinders, what position should I be resting the motor to allow it to soak? 

Edited by super dave

Hmmm. Not with the throttle open. At least 5 yes.  I'll try again. 

Thanks all. This is my new covid  hobby.  Buying broken engines and trying to fix them.  If this is junk I can at least get rid of it for parts or I'm out 300 bucks. Not a big deal.  But would like to get it in good running shape.  I figure best way to learn small engines is to actually do the work. 

Maybe before anything else try this. Drain the carb or let it run out of gas when you're done playing with it. Let the motor sit for whatever time it takes for it to become fussy starting. When you go to start it, pump the bulb to fill the carb with fresh fuel. Give it a pull and see how it starts. The small amount of fuel in the carb might be going stale? Yes I know that seems awfully fast for fuel to go stale; but it can and does happen; with very small amounts of gas; that is exposed to the atmosphere. If this doesn't help you're not out anything for trying?

Dan.

Hi dan

Thanks for the suggestion. I did do that with new gas and the issue was still there. I think it is a compression issue as Dave stated.  it doesn't have enough suction to pump up gas even with the choke on.   I was getting about 70 per cylinder and doing something to address that now. 

I noticed the flap that closes when the choke is on, has a few holes so I plugged up the carb vent with a shop towel and it started by the second pull.  

Appreciate all the input from everyone. 

Edited by super dave

So did a marvel mystery oil treatment on the top cylinder and I'm getting about 112 psi in that cylinder now.  😁

Just put some in cylinder 2 and let's see how it goes.   Haven't started it up again so I'll update tomorrow.    Thanks for all the help from everyone. Hopefully this thread will come in handy for someone else.