Giving my boat a new life

Alumacraft

Planning on giving my almost 20 year old Alumacraft a major make over. I've got a 2001 Magnum 165cs  still a solid boat it's just looking like a 20 year old boat. I'm planning on getting the carpet replaced , ordering new factory seats. Also planning on either a new paint job or a vinyl wrap. I've been able to find a couple of places locally to do a wrap. Have a quote for $1800 for a wrap replicating the factory graphics brand name and model name. I'm not sure what a paint job would cost? What I'm trying to find is someone in the Niagara region that paint's aluminum boats. Trying to figure out if I'll have it wrapped or painted? Has anyone had there aluminium boat wrapped? Any pros and cons with a wrap over a paint job. Any information is greatly appreciated thanks gentlemen. 

How coincidental! I have a 1999 Magnum 165 tiller, and Ive considered the same thing vs buying new. Last year I got a quote from my marina that to replace the carpet would cost $3-$4k. I stopped at that point. 

Please share how this goes with your boat.

Also, do you have any transom worries at all?

Bigcreekdad I've got one quote for new carpet for $2500. I'm ok with that. I'm thinking about spending $8000-$10000 hopefully if it's a little more I'm ok with that it's still cheaper than buying a new boat. I've got no transom worries at all except for a week up north every year my boat is in my garage every night. 👍

Terry I've heard that a wrap will last for 5-7 year's not bad for under $2000. My issue is that I can't find anyone that will paint it so I don't know how much a paint job would cost? 

Has anyone had there boat painted? I'm clueless as to what a paint job would cost would like to hear from anyone that has had a boat painted. Just want to compare prices and make a decision. 

Thanks gentlemen

I painted my 18 foot Fisher in the mid 90's.

I did all the prep work myself and had a friends buddy who was a painter spray it for me.

My paintjob was very reasonable because of the DIY aspect of it. Probably around $1000 including painting the trailer.

I also replaced all the carpet and did that myself. Cost about $200 but a lot of hours.

My boat was grey with grey carpet from the factory and I wanted to colour change to match my sweet navy blue Bronco.  😁

You’ll get quotes of 4K or more for a good paint job.  You want signs and wraps in Erin Ontario.  Al Hales is the owner.  He did my boat last fall, I’m very happy and he was very reasonable.  He estimates 5 to 7 years no problem as long as you don’t treat your rig like crap.  It’s only been on a year but so far no problems and my boat is trailered a lot and spent 2 weeks straight in the water this summer.  

13280756-D15C-455D-9659-D811E118F185.png

Thanks for the replies guy's. 

Drifter that sounds like a great deal for a paint job.👍 I don't have the patience to do the carpet myself as I know it will be a pain in the ... LOL. It's worth it for me too pay someone else to have it professional done. 

Porkpie that's what I'm hearing that a paint job could be as much as 3x the cost of wrapping.😲 I've got Auto Trim and Signs or Auto FX Graphics in St Catharines. Erin is a little far for me to go. 

Wkrp thanks I'm on afternoon's this week coming up and I'm planning on making some phone calls to some local auto body shops. 

Thanks gentlemen. 

I had my 2000 17' Legend taken apart to have 12 rivets replaced and have the floor and carpet replaced last year at Heritage Marine in London last September. They do full restorations and might be a place where you can have your boat repainted.

Not cheap, I paid $5,000 for everything. The labour to cut out and replace the floatation foam was part of the reason for all of the labour.

I was very happy with the results. If you have your boat restored check with your insurance broker to make sure your policy is up to the new value of the boat.

• 2 weeks later...

I took all of the carpet out of my old ranger and replaced it with vinyl. It didn’t take that long and only cost me a few hundred bucks. I used the vinyl thinking it would be easier to work with than carpet and it turned out pretty good. Save yourself a bunch of dough.

D357553E-FF89-49C5-8FDF-0991300557C5.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 5:47 PM, tomkat said:

I took all of the carpet out of my old ranger and replaced it with vinyl. It didn’t take that long and only cost me a few hundred bucks. I used the vinyl thinking it would be easier to work with than carpet and it turned out pretty good. Save yourself a bunch of dough.

D357553E-FF89-49C5-8FDF-0991300557C5.jpeg

Hope I’m not hijacking, great looking job. Can you tell me if that is a vent or a drain?

Just ripped all the floors out of my boat. Rotten to the core. Wondering if I need air circulation down below

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

The cover is open to the bilge and I always thought of it as a drain but it would make sense that it works as a vent as well. At the back of the boat there is a removable cover to access the bilge and live well pumps so I guess that would also allow for air circulation. Boat is a 1991 Ranger 680 Fisherman tiller.

I tend to stay away from painting boats. Guys do use "all grip paint" which is marine boat paint and tends to work pretty good but it is very expensive and the application has to be just right or you will get eventual peeling. We did a 1960 18 foot aluminum boat the man wanted converted into a semi-bass boat with a casting deck, new floor, repainted boat and engine. We used All wheels body shop in Stoney Creek to paint the boat, and we did the motor. Jeff really knows what he is doing and did a great job on this wreck of a boat, and he is very reasonable. Here are some pics that gives you an idea of some of the build, and some inspiration that yes you can make an old boat into something new again.We took all the floatation foam out and replaced it. Totally soaked and probably added an additional 300 lbs to the boat. The customer could not believe how fast his boat was after the build. So bottom line is that a build like that is very time consuming and expensive. Knowing how expensive a complete make over would be we did try to talk the individual into just finding a newer boat. The customer insisted he wanted it done. He claimed the boat was his fathers,  then his, and once finished would give it to his son as a surprise present and keep it in the family. That's exactly what happened, He took the boat home and put it in the garage. he called his son to the garage. The son broke into tears when he saw it, and they were thrilled using it for 6 months when unfortunately the father suddenly passed away. The son has the boat, loves fishing with it, and it represents a near and dear "forever" reminder of his Dad.

guidi boat1.JPG

guidi boat 2.JPG

guidi boat 3.JPG

guidi boat 4.JPG

guidi boat 6.JPG

• Like 2

I re-did my boat 14 years ago. I painted it myself. The prep work was very time consuming, but it makes all the difference. This time I can just give it a clean up,  a  light sanding and wack the paint to it. The prep of bare alumiinum takes a lot of work, but it is well worth it to do it right.  I am tearing mine apart again this winter for another rebuild, and paint touch up. This will be the second time in a 26 year old boat.

Where are you guys sourcing your vinyl flooring? And what products are you using to fasten it? 

This time my boat will be getting a full 3/16 aluminum plate floor, and mostly aluminum storage, with vinyl front to back and top to bottom. I plan to rebuild the transom this this time, not that it needs it, but whats the point of doing everything but the transom at this point?  Might go with an engineered product, so I never have to touch it again. After 26 years of fishing and hunting out of this boat, i have a few ideas, and changes i am going to make. I'm kind of excited, and anxious at the same time lol....Everything on it has been upgraded in the last 4 years;  electronics(2018), bowmount (2020), engine(2019), trailer (2017)......its time for a makeover. 

I considered buying new, until I looked at the prices. Then considered buying used, until I looked at the prices, so I will rebuild what i have one more time, and get another 20 years out of it. I love that boat!  We have been through some serious stuff together LOL 

S. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1