Ice fishing / Floatation

atvaholic

Howdy. Thinking of getting out on the hardwater this year, and thinking of getting a floatation suit. Not much experience with them. I have worn 1 before with a charter, it was bulky. The mustangs are awesome, but cant quite afford them.

Any experience with these:

https://www.amazon.com/Eskimo-Lockout-Fishing-Jacket-S-5XL/dp/B0719STDF5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

Are bibs required for floatation or do they just keep you warm?

You don’t need the bibs to float however once you get out of the water the jacket and bibs will help keep you warm while you try to get off the ice

i tested mine in a swimming pool and to my surprise the bibs and jacket kept out much of the water which would be a big help in minus temps 

Edited by Terry
  • Like 2

I have the same suit brand as Terry ( one down from it ), really like the light weight of it, but what I do not like about the bib is there are access pockets to your inside pants. When I went in at the shore,I had water come in. Not a lot,just enough to look like I pissed myself. If I can afford it this fall,I will be buying the striker suit. Thats if I can find one. Even their web site has a lot of sold out.

And yes, PICKS.

12 hours ago, Terry said:

You don’t need the bibs to float however once you get out of the water the jacket and bibs will help keep you warm while you try to get off the ice

i tested mine in a swimming pool and to my surprise the bibs and jacket kept out much of the water which would be a big help in minus temps 

10 hours ago, atvaholic said:

Good plan. Will have those for sure.

Nice vid Terry, it floats well!

I have had numerous floatation suits/jackets over the years and here's my take! Any flotation clothing is better than none and HT Ice Picks are an absolute must! I hated the one piece suit because I always felt like the Michelin man wearing it and opening it half way when it was warm out was a pain! Two piece suits are awesome but some are stiffer than others! Last year was my first year with a Striker suit and I absolutely love it, incredibly well designed, obviously with a tremendous amount of feedback from ice anglers! The adjustable inseam is awesome for us vertically challenged people! I would highly recommend one of their suits! Here is a test by David Lefebre:

Edited by David Chong
  • Like 3

I have had a Mustang (one piece) and Salus (two piece) suits.  Both were great, bulky but warm.  I now use a Striker Ice Predator Suit and it's ten times better to be honest.

The striker suit is so much more soft and comfortable, and I've even had to change up my base layering because the Predator suit is so warm.  I highly recommend it.

*Full disclosure I have never had any of them in the water!

304980787_strikerice2.jpg.7cf35639d06304c4a9fefb41fa92832c.jpg889864890_strikerice1.jpg.a13fae7f53b7c7a8d33a454c82f32c79.jpg

Edited by Dutch01
  • Like 3

I have the Strker Hardwarer suit.  I did a lot of research before buying and it along with the Clam looked really good.  I went with Striker because I found it to be more stylish (I can where the jacket as a normal winter jacket and not just for ice fishing).

You really need both the bib and jacket to have the proper safety of floating.

The combo of bib and jacket are expensive.  But it's worth it.

IMG_3232.JPG

• Like 3

Ive used a mustang, owned and used a FXR Float X, Nautilus (and went through the ice with it...theres a thread about that) and now I own a Salus. (still use the FXR for snowmobiling)

Being the opposite of a few members here, i actually prefer a 1 piece simply for the warmth. 

Undeniably, a two piece is generally more comfortable for riding snowmobiles, and of course you can just wear the bib for when you are trying to get set up on warm sunny winter days and you start sweating.

But, if you like me fish hutless very often, or arent scared of fishing when the mercury really drops -30 then you cant beat a 1 piece for keeping you warm.

Now...as far as floatation goes, speaking from my personal experience, wearing a 1 piece coast guard approved float suit like the nautilus. I was floating so high in the water and was under control of the situation enough to make the conscious decision to attempt to get out without my picks (that were on me and readily available) I found it actually fairly easy to get out without the picks because I was floating so intensely. It literally was like every inch of my body was in a giant life jacket, I was barely in the water I was so buoyant. 

once I was out the suit drained incredibly fast and I immediately noticed that my body was warming up drastically. My hands and feet were not so happy and it was not a comfortable walk home.

That suit then got a rip in it and I ended up buying a salus...the salus has every feature I could ever want from a float suit, its a bit stiff, but ergonomically fits, has a great suspender system to allow you to take the top off to cool off and the thing is built like armour around your body. Its insanely warm, waterproof and I absolutely love it. It to me beats the mustang and nautilus in every way.

Edited by AKRISONER

I had the Mustang MS-195 "Atlantic Class" one piece and still have the Salus 1400 "Endurance Class" two piece.  Out of the two, I way prefer the Salus fit, features and comfort.  That's not just because it's a two piece either.  My buddy has the same Salus in a one piece and I still think it's better than the Mustang.

• 3 months later...

Got to finally wear my suit this morning. OMG that thing is so warm. Over warm IMO. I might have to take the inner jacket out.  I did find it bulky as well. The bib well,sure glad it has that elastic side band. LOL

Was on some sketchy ice this morning. Very uncomfortable, but fished a few hours any ways. Marked 2 solo whities that did not want to come home with me.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 12:01 PM, misfish said:

I have the same suit brand as Terry ( one down from it ), really like the light weight of it, but what I do not like about the bib is there are access pockets to your inside pants. When I went in at the shore,I had water come in. Not a lot,just enough to look like I pissed myself. If I can afford it this fall,I will be buying the striker suit. Thats if I can find one. Even their web site has a lot of sold out.

And yes, PICKS.

The striker is an amazing suit.  This will be season 4 for me and I use it on the ice and in the boat spring and fall!  And I have the low end one.

Edited by porkpie

On 1/30/2021 at 2:02 PM, misfish said:

Got to finally wear my suit this morning. OMG that thing is so warm. Over warm IMO. I might have to take the inner jacket out.  I did find it bulky as well. The bib well,sure glad it has that elastic side band. LOL

Was on some sketchy ice this morning. Very uncomfortable, but fished a few hours any ways. Marked 2 solo whities that did not want to come home with me.

what make?

I have had quite a number of them over the years, two piece, one piece, no piece (shame on me) and at my age and <<ahem>> athletic ability or not, it's two piece all the way now.  I have the Salus bibs, which I think are the best I ever tried, and a Canadian Navy surplus top, made by Mustang.  But so far I have not had the desire nor the opportunity to try them in water.  And I am good with that.  And yes, always carry ice picks, "don't leave home without them."

Doug

I have a good helly hanson flaoter suit now, have worn out 2 mustangs over the years, and now i don't wear one. There is just so much more comfortable, lighter, warmer gear. I just use my head and stay off sketchy ice. Its really simple. No need for a float suit if you can use your brain. At the end of the day I am more comfortable, warmer, and not as tired. 

S.