Importance of a good net guy/girl

LostAnotherOne

This past weekend I missed out on a possible new pb smallie.  Was out on Honey Harbour with a buddy who doesn’t really fish and when it came time to net it my buddy made an attempt, but missed horribly and the smallie was gone.  I was so caught up with the size of this football that I didn’t even notice that he didn’t even stand to net it.  I take a bit of blame cause I should of gave him a few lessons first.  Oh well.  My point is guys if your out with someone that you know doesn’t fish best to give him a few pointers when using the net.  You never know what type or size of fish might show up.  I’m sure many of you have gone through something similar.

• Like 2

If I'm fishing with someone that doesn't fish and is going to net I tell them to do nothing more then to put the net in the water when I tell them and I'll do the rest.   My PB smallie is also out of HH, there are some cows out there!  Can't wait for turnover to finish then I can start plucking away at the wolf packs.

Solo muskie fishing as of late has been interesting when it comes to netting lol.  

Edited by BillM

dont feel so bad, I fished a tourney out of honey harbour a few weeks back and we managed to lose 4 4+lb fish boat side in one day, i couldnt believe our luck lol. 

In the end if we had even a 50% landing ratio on those 4 fish we would have finished in the money. Ended up middle of the pack because we still had a couple of good ones. Theres big fish around there for sure.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

dont feel so bad, I fished a tourney out of honey harbour a few weeks back and we managed to lose 4 4+lb fish boat side in one day, i couldnt believe our luck lol. 

In the end if we had even a 50% landing ratio on those 4 fish we would have finished in the money. Ended up middle of the pack because we still had a couple of good ones. Theres big fish around there for sure.

Never really had much trouble losing fish in a  tourney, but a 1 pound bigger fish or a 1 pound fish to fill a limit would have put me in the money more often.

12 hours ago, BillM said:

If I'm fishing with someone that doesn't fish and is going to net I tell them to do nothing more then to put the net in the water when I tell them and I'll do the rest.   My PB smallie is also out of HH, there are some cows out there!  Can't wait for turnover to finish then I can start plucking away at the wolf packs.

Solo muskie fishing as of late has been interesting when it comes to netting lol.  

That will be my game plan next time.  I was going to bring up a beach ball next time so he could practice.  I’m actually serious.  I know your a HH guy and I tell you I have never seen such a crap show with the amount of boats going through the channel.  My buddy says you should see it in mid summer lol.  Like the 401 he says.

11 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Ouch.  That actually makes me feel not so bad.  When your losing on some money that’s a different kind of blow.  Like those guys on Wicked Tuna losing out on a $10000 fish.  First time on HH so I really changed it up with trolling, jigging, and casting around spots that might produce.  Lost that smallie just using the trolling motor around a small rock sticking out.  Bombed a white spinner bait with pink tail to the edge and it was on.  Been doing really good with pink this year.

Years ago I took my bud's young son (14 ??) out casting for muskies up on Nip and although he was an excellent fisherman he'd never netted a bigger musky. I made a cast and hooked this girl and jokingly told my young friend that if he messed up the net job he'd be swimming back to camp. I knew he was nervous and he even said he was afraid he'd lose it on me but he did and excellent job and got her in the boat but I'm sure I heard him let out a sigh of relief  LOL

Cnv0145.jpg

Cnv2117.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LostAnotherOne said:

That will be my game plan next time.  I was going to bring up a beach ball next time so he could practice.  I’m actually serious.  I know your a HH guy and I tell you I have never seen such a crap show with the amount of boats going through the channel.  My buddy says you should see it in mid summer lol.  Like the 401 he says.

Busiest channel on Gbay without a doubt.   It can be insane some days.   I was out there on Monday, saw 2 boats in the channel and actually fished a really nice weedbed I've come to known over the years.  If you weren't out there super early or at dusk, it's basically unfishable.  

Edited by BillM

2 hours ago, lew said:

Years ago I took my bud's young son (14 ??) out casting for muskies up on Nip and although he was an excellent fisherman he'd never netted a bigger musky. I made a cast and hooked this girl and jokingly told my young friend that if he messed up the net job he'd be swimming back to camp. I knew he was nervous and he even said he was afraid he'd lose it on me but he did and excellent job and got her in the boat but I'm sure I heard him let out a sigh of relief  LOL

Cnv0145.jpg

Cnv2117.jpg

I know the spot and the young lad 🙂

I miss our camping trips to the West Arm, thanks for putting a smile on my face Lew

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Whopper said:

I know the spot and the young lad 🙂

I miss our camping trips to the West Arm, thanks for putting a smile on my face Lew

Yeah, we used to have some fun camping/fishing trips Phil, I miss them too.