Been a longtime [Fishing Report]

JonnyButts

Hey OFC . Used to be active on this board about 13 years ago. Never really left but had been lurking for a longtime . The worst kind of member!  Life went sideways and addiction got the best of me. Been clean for over 4 years now and busy fixing the 3 ringed circus that was my life. Finally figured it’s time to get back at er now that 2 of my boys are in university and it’s just the weeun at home.

Reconnected with my old buddy Meeps and he got the musky fever back in my life .

Been losing more big girls than I’ve landed , which is frustrating but I’m still on em and consumed with the thought of a 50” plus. Still early in the fall and lots of trips planned , I think I’ll get that 50” in the net soon! Pictured is a nice fish I got after losing 2 that day, Meeps was quick in the water and did the net work for me, held her up quick while I snapped a pic and back in the drink she went.273291F7-D628-4717-9D48-9F86B629D911.jpeg.dee4d48521e1da5b84e60f379eae2dc0.jpeg

Musky fishing is some sort of psychological mind F@(£ , from watching videos and trips to the local shop, online orders , countless hours on the water throwing lures as big as my dog and all around being consumed by these fish, I think I got the bug bad.

The wee man has really caught the fishing bug and has been on me to catch his first Salmon , we’ve been down to our local spot a bunch and he just hasn’t tied into one yet. 663A2AE8-C8AA-4070-A2CB-FFD235C15F00.jpeg.f3f1690be78d60bc166a7c654ccc3967.jpegThis morning while he and his buds opted to head out for smallies , I checked in with the apps and saw that there was a minor moon phase and wind conditions in my favour so back down to the local I go. Chucking spoons for a good 3 hours with not a whiff , decided to throw on the ole Rapala and first cast had a big girl smoke it. 

What a fight she put up. A bunch of runs and acrobatics and she finally hit the net. Some how I managed to have the front trebles in her , Thank God, as you can see she snapped that rapala in half. 5DCCFC68-532E-4BEA-8FB6-30C73772A021.jpeg.4affbd75b23dcddb02c810f98a644e78.jpeg

51E29DB9-AC11-4F87-8955-EC8D9E64E43E.jpeg.0d576f705799cadb110f7e7f854a1a05.jpegAll in all the fishing has been great and amongst these crazy times I can always find my solstice down at the water. 

I’ll keep posting and appreciate all the members who have been doing so for years. 

Tight Lines 

J.B.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back, I remember your name from back in the day and congrats on beating the bad stuff.

Some nice fish there, that 1st. 50 inch musky is the hardest to get then they get easier after that, just keep plugging away.

• Like 2

Thank you for your claim to overcome your challenges, and for the excellent fishing report.  Mental health and addiction is an enormous mass that holds people down.  Expressing the importance of awareness and avoiding the cloak of its darkness is a true testament to helping youself as we as others.  It is so valuable to recognize how an individual like youself can lift themselves up from such a vulnerable situation and turn life around.  You have fought your way through to surviving the harshest pain, and your passion is supported by this fishing community so continue to be strong by doing what you love to do!  Now get out and catch more fish.  Congrats on all of your successes!

Edited by discophish
Spell check
  • Like 3

Thanks Guys. 

23 hours ago, discophish said:

Thank you for your claim to overcome your challenges, and for the excellent fishing report.  Mental health and addiction is an enormous mass that holds people down.  Expressing the importance of awareness and avoiding the cloak of its darkness is a true testament to helping youself as we as others.  It is so valuable to recognize how an individual like youself can lift themselves up from such a vulnerable situation and turn life around.  You have fought your way through to surviving the harshest pain, and your passion is supported by this fishing community so continue to be strong by doing what you love to do!  Now get out and catch more fish.  Congrats on all of your successes!

Thanks Discophish . I just put my truth out there . I’m finally living life the way I was supposed to be. I appreciate the comment. Tight Lines J.B. 

isnt it true, fishing is the best damn therapy in the world

Those damn Rapalas or as me and my buddies call em "crapolas" 

A couple recent trips out for me had me thinking I was losing my bloody mind when i kept having giant smallmouth after giant smallmouth come unpinned on a DT-10. I dont know why i didnt think of it earlier but of course, I examined the hooks and sure enough every single one was bent outwards slightly. The damn hooks couldnt hand when a 4+lb smallie smashed the bait while cranking, it bent all of the hooks.

Thanks for the report, theres truly not enough of it around here anymore. People either too uptight about where they fish like they are some type of fishing god, or folks are just too lazy to do the amount of work it takes to edit photos, and actually write something worth reading. Im sure the guys on here that either A: have difficulty posting photos etc or B cant fish anymore appreciate them even more than I do.

Thanks for taking the time and I hope you stick around and keep posting more!

14 minutes ago, PUMP KNOWS said:

Good stuff man.

Have you gone back where you caught your salmon?  Are they doing construction or have they fenced up the whole are to prevent people from fishing it?

Fished there yesterday . Parking lot is closed but could still walk in , Word from the old boys is we are losing access for 2 months while they place rock piles in the water . I emailed the city to see what is actually going on there since I can’t seem to find any info online . Really going to suck losing even more access down there and especially right in brown prime time. I guess I’ll throw the waders on and join the boys in the “hole” till it’s done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

isnt it true, fishing is the best damn therapy in the world

Those damn Rapalas or as me and my buddies call em "crapolas" 

A couple recent trips out for me had me thinking I was losing my bloody mind when i kept having giant smallmouth after giant smallmouth come unpinned on a DT-10. I dont know why i didnt think of it earlier but of course, I examined the hooks and sure enough every single one was bent outwards slightly. The damn hooks couldnt hand when a 4+lb smallie smashed the bait while cranking, it bent all of the hooks.

Thanks for the report, theres truly not enough of it around here anymore. People either too uptight about where they fish like they are some type of fishing god, or folks are just too lazy to do the amount of work it takes to edit photos, and actually write something worth reading. Im sure the guys on here that either A: have difficulty posting photos etc or B cant fish anymore appreciate them even more than I do.

Thanks for taking the time and I hope you stick around and keep posting more!

I wish Rapala built them worth the $10 bucks a lure they are. I’ll be posting reports everytime I get the net wet . It’s good to be back ! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JonnyButts said:

I wish Rapala built them worth the $10 bucks a lure they are. 

A dozen years ago a musky tore this Believer apart and spit the pieces back at me. 

I emailed this picture to Drifter Tackle and within a couple days they sent me 2 new lures as replacements with a letter of apology for the bad lure.

Good companies look after their customers, maybe try the same thing with Rapala.

Cnv1495.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lew said:

A dozen years ago a musky tore this Believer apart and spit the pieces back at me. 

I emailed this picture to Drifter Tackle and within a couple days they sent me 2 new lures as replacements with a letter of apology for the bad lure.

Good companies look after their customers, maybe try the same thing with Rapala.

Cnv1495.jpg

How big was that fish Lew? That’s some sage advice , I’m going to email Rapala tonight when I get back in from fishing . 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...