Lake Manitouwabing

John

You're talking McKeller correct.... Make sure you know where you are going... an easy lake to get lost on. I fly over it every trip North and South. Leah's video the other days shows it well. Other than that.. no fishing info, not a foot of shoreline without a house on it..

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 1

a friend use to have a cottage on the lake near McKellar and we did a couple trips every year. Always went for the opener in may and few other times throu june and july. This was in late 80s to mid 90s then property was sold . The walleye and pike fishing was excellent. We even did a few ice fishing trips. In the late 90s and early 2000s the lake was severely over fished and walleye fishing was eventally shut down. We have done a few trips in the last 10 years and the fishing was no where the same,even pike and bass numbers were way down. I do believe now the walleye fishing ban has been lifted to a limit of 1 fish now. I am not up to date on regs on the lake so it maybe different again. It was a great walleye and pike fishery especially in the north area around McKellar and hopefully it bounces back.

Been fishing Manitouwabing for 35 years and have seen the highs and lows. 20-30 years ago the fishing was fantastic but like any other body of water with easy access the fishing goes in the tank (some exceptions) Mind you I have not fished it for a couple years now so cant update on present day fishing experiences.  Large lake with endless bays and structure with lots of deep water and like a couple guys have said it is a very busy lake. Now don't get me wrong it is a beautiful lake and the fishing is average with the chance of some big ones but it wouldn't be my first choice either at this point in time unfortunately.      

one of my best friends has a cottage at the lake. I usually go at least once a year. It is heavily over fished. Generally I will take new lures or reels there to break them in on the dock. I will see several boats with 2-3 guys fishing for what seems like most of the day. They will comb every inch of shoreline often going over areas they had hit previously several hours later. If I was to fish it seriously I would be looking for species that they would ignore and fish in places they wouldn't fish.

• 4 weeks later...