Fly reel backing line on a float reel ?

misfish

I know I should probly know this . Can I use the same backing line I use on my fly reel ,on a float reel ? I have lots of it right now. I just thought I might get away from buying new backing line for the new reel .

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

• misfish changed the title to Fly reel backing line on a float reel ?
5 hours ago, misfish said:

Off to the $ store ;)

Just be sure it is no stretch dacron line, they were getting it online in different colours, some were even neon and they would match it to the colour of their reels so it looks real purty through the ventilation holes. Stay away from any natural fibre that would hold water.

5 hours ago, porkpie said:

Just buy some cheap Walmart 20lb line for $4 and away you go.

Have read to stay away from that. It will not sit on the reel tight like dacron will and will lead the main line get clinched in it,s self.

4 hours ago, dave524 said:

Just be sure it is no stretch dacron line, they were getting it online in different colours, some were even neon and they would match it to the colour of their reels so it looks real purty through the ventilation holes. Stay away from any natural fibre that would hold water.

Yes,I seen that on the center pin anglers site. I like purdy, but the fish do not care. LOL

I’ve done it as long as I’ve owned a float reel, which is a long time.  Never had an issue.  Careful what you read, a lot of the guys giving the advice these days have only had a bobber pole for a couple years.  Anyhow, whatever floats your boat brother in the end it don’t matter so long as the equipment operator is happy 😃 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, porkpie said:

I’ve done it as long as I’ve owned a float reel, which is a long time.  Never had an issue.  Careful what you read, a lot of the guys giving the advice these days have only had a bobber pole for a couple years.  Anyhow, whatever floats your boat brother in the end it don’t matter so long as the equipment operator is happy 😃 

Just for that, I am going PURDY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:rofl2:

• Haha 1

Well purdy stuff ordered. Going neon blue backing with Sun Line hi vis tangerine main.

🤩

And to my other post about that hollow pencil lead. They had 1/8 and 3/16. Got 2 spools of each. I should be good for a couple of years with that stuff, unless my son goes through my stuff and finds it . LOL J/K, I will share with him.

Edited by misfish

I'll share something I learned from Jos at Angling Outfitters re float fishing with a pin in cold weather. He uses, and sold me, a relatively inexpensive Rapala centerpin float reel. In the cold Jos covers his  Rapala  reel with black hockey tape. This he claims reduces the cold metal /finger contact freezing aspect of winter pinning substantially. I don't float fish much at all but in winter my approach is to use a baitcaster (I only winter floatfish the Niagara) with P-Line Hydro Float line. The line is coated so no water absorption and I can throw a baitcaster with gloves on. 

46 minutes ago, misfish said:

I have this set up for those colder days as well .I have also seen guys with their backs of their pins taped up with hockey stick tape .

30 years ago, when I fished the Niagara all winter , had stuff taped up with this to avoid hand to direct metal contact   https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/drscholls-moleskin-plus-padding/6000016952930

edit : back to float reel backing , heard of guys getting those thin adhesive backed cork sheets like they use on the back of coasters and precision cutting strips to build up an arbor on their reels , low weight and won't hold water. BTW my first float reel was a Grice and Young  back in the early 80's.

Edited by dave524

10 hours ago, dave524 said:

edit : back to float reel backing , heard of guys getting those thin adhesive backed cork sheets like they use on the back of coasters and precision cutting strips to build up an arbor on their reels , low weight and won't hold water.

I believe Mike ( Solo ) does that . He had mentioned it on an old thread.   Cabelas had 100 yard 20 & 30 lb dacron backing in floro green cheap . I just did up one reel with it.

• Like 1

I use some no name brand gel spun polypropylene fishing line I got a few years back at Sports Authority for backing.  

It came in a variety of test weights. I used 60lb test.  Probably stronger than the fly line itself.

The test didn't seem to affect the diameter from what I could see in the package. It was chartreuse yellow/green.

$20 a spool. For like 250-300 yards.

I used the whole spool on a large arbor reel and added practically nothing to it's diameter. Plenty of room for the line and leader on the spool.

I nail knotted it to the fly line. Then soaked it in with cyanoacrylate adhesive.