2021 PRo-V Musky 1875 or 2075

Reel North

I’m down to the brass tacks on a new boat for 2021. I’m debating on the 1875 (18’10”) or 2075 (20’10”). I really only fish Muskie, and very rarely anything else. I usually fish alone, or with my two kids when I have them (8 & 10)

any opinions? Also any input on must have options?  I’m coming from Princecraft and Crestliner boats previously. 

much thanks

oh wow new boat purchase! fun. As a guy who only has a 16'8" I would say 18'10" is plenty of boat especially for a guy who fishes alone regularly. I guess if you are already looking at boats that big, storage (ie in your garage) and vehicle to tow are not concerns of yours

• Like 1

If you have the appropriate tow vehicle.. go big or go home! :D My 2150 Baron is now, unbelievably, 13 years old. Doesn't leak a drop, still looks close to new. Can be a lot of boat for one guy to put on a trailer at a crappy launch though. Good launch easy pezzy..

Agreed value theft and liability is gonna cost you a grand a year..

Trolling 5/6MPH on the 275 burns about 0.6USGPH or 2.4 litres/hour and is much nicer than listening to the kicker scream to achieve Musky troll speed. So a 10 hour ''tour" and run in/out on GBay only uses about 30 or 35 litres. Now take that heavy boat for a long high power cruise and it can get expensive. WOT is 32USGPH/120 litresPH. Cruising the boat at it's sweet spot, around 32 MPH and 4200 RPM burns about 11USGPH/44litresPH.

muskyfishwithleahdec72015 015.JPG

muskyfishoct19to202015 002.JPG

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, irishfield said:

Can be a lot of boat for one guy to put on a trailer at a crappy launch though

Good point! I launch at some sketchy spots. We generally don't worry about getting the boat "just so" on the trailer. Instead...haul it out as is, and then with the buddy I was fishing with just give er a little nudge to centre. With a 20 foot boat (and corresponding larger motor!) you won't be doing any of that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, irishfield said:

If you have the appropriate tow vehicle.. go big or go home! :D My 2150 Baron is now, unbelievably, 13 years old. Doesn't leak a drop, still looks close to new. Can be a lot of boat for one guy to put on a trailer at a crappy launch though. Good launch easy pezzy..

Agreed value theft and liability is gonna cost you a grand a year..

Trolling 5/6MPH on the 275 burns about 0.6USGPH or 2.4 litres/hour and is much nicer than listening to the kicker scream to achieve Musky troll speed. So a 10 hour ''tour" and run in/out on GBay only uses about 30 or 35 litres. Now take that heavy boat for a long high power cruise and it can get expensive. WOT is 32USGPH/120 litresPH. Cruising the boat at it's sweet spot, around 32 MPH and 4200 RPM burns about 11USGPH/44litresPH.

muskyfishwithleahdec72015 015.JPG

muskyfishoct19to202015 002.JPG

Beautiful boat Irish. I need one of those and my bassboat! Lol

• Like 1

Any of those boats are fantastic so there’s no one clear winner based on the limited details in your post. How you fish, where you fish, tow vehicle, budget, etc etc. There’s lots to consider. If you’re fishing the Great Lakes one weekend but want to do a family vacation on a small lake the next you’ll need something that’s easier to manoeuvre. 
As far as launching goes, other than wind or current making it tricky, you should be able to handle any of those on your own. IMO it’s more about getting good at it than it is the boat size. Watch guys at any launch on a Saturday and you can literally pick out the guys that know their stuff vs what boat they have. 
I’d spend time checking out the layouts as well. That will play a big part in how much you enjoy fishing from the boat later. 
Good luck and have fun shopping. 

You fish alone a lot eh...  18.75 in that boat is plenty enough space and vessel to handle you and others on the days you'll choose to fish.  Unless you're guiding or in dire need to fish GBay, St. Clair, the open Erie or 40 acre area on days it's kicking up, you don't need all the costs included with the 20.  It'd be overkill. 

Gonna presume you're predominantly a caster?  All that deck would be mint for you and a buddy or two.

But, if you're a troller more often fishing alone or with just another angler then this boat is all wrong IMO.  Same if it's just you and kids.  Wouldn't matter the size either, for a standard Pro-V would have a number of advantages in comfort, safety and even musky-fishability.

Two best all-purpose, aluminum musky fishing boats in my opinion if you can afford 'em, any normal-ish 18-19 foot dual consoled boat, kicker or not, or, the same length boat in a big tiller giving up comfort for some boat control and fishing style advantages.

• Thanks 1

Sorry about the lack of details. 

The boats are within 10k of each other all said and done, so as far as budget, it’s not a factor. 

tow vehicle is a 2018 F150 Diesel

generally will fish within 40 mins of home

mostly cast for Muskie. Troll a bit in fall, and on certain lakes I travel to. Probably 85% casting

fish either with a buddy or 2 or my two rug rats

im not sure if things like digital throttle are worth it. 

on my last boat I had a fortrex trolling motor. I see everyone is using these new minnkota ultrex. Not sure of the value there. I’m co side ring a Harmon trolling motor actually lol. 

for fishfinders - I’m looking at 10” - which ones - Garmin, humminbird or lowrance. 

Edited by Reel North

85% casting... surely that is a great boat layout either way 18 or 20... Ask yourself what scenario you'd need that 2 feet of extra boat if you're casting?  2vs3 guys maybe?  

The digital RPM sounds interesting.  The best muskie guide in the biz, Lazarus, is said to never, ever have his hand off the throttle, constantly adjusting to keep the desired speed trolling.  You considering a trolling motor tells me you're more interested in doing that more than 15% of your time because otherwise on the 18 foot boat with RPM limiters you can achieve quite slow speeds or run all day at muskie troll speeds effortlessly.  I'd say, forget that trolling motor, go with a big Terrova, and beef up your electronics even more.

But I can't put myself in your shoes and am actually not sure what your thought process is behind your choices.  Fishing muskie alot myself nowadays predominantly trolling but moving more into casting each season, 2 to 5 days on the water a week while home fishing multispecies each season, plus having kids of my own come along, doing camping trips that loads gear big time, fishing big and small waters, having friends aboard... if looking to a new boat for muskie with friends and family but alot of solo too, to mainly cast and do some trolling from, fishing big or small waters, then this rig in 18 feet would be mint, no trolling motor needed, big electronics with sonar, sidescan and chartplotter included, panoptix (if affordable for the added bonus with casting in any depths) If not panoptic then a Bird or Garmin for autocharting (a bonus more for trollers) a solid Terrova or the like upfront.

My buddy has an 1875 pro V standard.  My 18 foot Starcraft superfisherman dwarfs it.  The 1875 has a fair bit of shrink when you put it in water. It’ll be plenty for solo fishing or taking kids out.  I don’t however see any advantage to that layout over a standard pro v, and when you inevitably sell you’ll be marketing to bass guys that want a glass boat, or a small group of musky anglers who want a strictly casting style rig.  The 1875 Pro V is a great boat, I’ve spent a fair amount of time in it, and in some snotty weather, but it’s value is as a multi species boat, even if you are a just a musky guy, when it comes time to transport the family or do other things you wouldn’t regret the standard layout.

23 hours ago, Moosebunk said:

85% casting... surely that is a great boat layout either way 18 or 20... Ask yourself what scenario you'd need that 2 feet of extra boat if you're casting?  2vs3 guys maybe?  

The digital RPM sounds interesting.  The best muskie guide in the biz, Lazarus, is said to never, ever have his hand off the throttle, constantly adjusting to keep the desired speed trolling.  You considering a trolling motor tells me you're more interested in doing that more than 15% of your time because otherwise on the 18 foot boat with RPM limiters you can achieve quite slow speeds or run all day at muskie troll speeds effortlessly.  I'd say, forget that trolling motor, go with a big Terrova, and beef up your electronics even more.

But I can't put myself in your shoes and am actually not sure what your thought process is behind your choices.  Fishing muskie alot myself nowadays predominantly trolling but moving more into casting each season, 2 to 5 days on the water a week while home fishing multispecies each season, plus having kids of my own come along, doing camping trips that loads gear big time, fishing big and small waters, having friends aboard... if looking to a new boat for muskie with friends and family but alot of solo too, to mainly cast and do some trolling from, fishing big or small waters, then this rig in 18 feet would be mint, no trolling motor needed, big electronics with sonar, sidescan and chartplotter included, panoptix (if affordable for the added bonus with casting in any depths) If not panoptic then a Bird or Garmin for autocharting (a bonus more for trollers) a solid Terrova or the like upfront.

The fortrex is a bow mount minnkota cable steer electric 😉. I use it while casting. 

On 9/28/2020 at 8:45 AM, lew said:

Always enjoy reading whatever you write Drew, whether it's fishing reports or just yakking about boats, it's always a good & interesting read.

Thanks Lew! Hope all is well with ya.

20 hours ago, porkpie said:

It’ll be plenty for solo fishing or taking kids out.  I don’t however see any advantage to that layout over a standard pro v, and when you inevitably sell you’ll be marketing to bass guys that want a glass boat, or a small group of musky anglers who want a strictly casting style rig.  The 1875 Pro V is a great boat, I’ve spent a fair amount of time in it, and in some snotty weather, but it’s value is as a multi species boat, even if you are a just a musky guy, when it comes time to transport the family or do other things you wouldn’t regret the standard layout.

And... yeah, there is all these great points.  Gotta love the ProV for all fishability.

Both options are awesome RN! Still believe that 18 for around here, on inland and big lakes is more than enough boat.  Unless it's the fish being caught, bigger is not always better IMO.  The 1875 ProVM has 4 more inches beam than my 1875 ProGuide's 92", which anyone who gets in the big tiller with the wide open dance floor (like the ProMusky does have) will often comment how much space there is.  If that's what you're looking for, I think you've found it in that boat and without there being need to haul around even more space and weight with the 20.  

• Thanks 1

I think either boat suitable.

The Fortrax is good cable steer. The second it starts cricking  buy and install kit $40 for the hinge.

If you don't more parts get wore out cost go up.

Then Ultrex has spot lock it's game changer. You will likely be buy a Hummingbird gps/finder that makes it all work incredible.  Ultrex about double price of fortrex.

Edited by Garnet

Be careful with the Garmin Motor, the Force, the 57" shaft is more like a 52". So if you fish windy conditions, not the greatest. 

Ultrex 60" is also a bad design. If the shaft is deeper than, lets say 54", it cant stow. Always have to re adjust. Not sure who designed these things. Sold mine to get the Ghost but covid delayed that. 

Im hoping the Ghost 60" turns out to be ok. Its what I am personally waiting for. But I run Lowrance units. 

Edited by Dan668

my 2 cents...which are probably worth closer to a penny

1. If you can afford it, get the panoptix livescope. Anyone that says anything else is comparable hasnt used it, or is attached to their lowrance, birds etc.

Im a humminbird guy, my boat has 3 of them in it. My old man got panoptix livescope a month ago, simply put, its a total game changer. its expensive as hell. Thats all that should be considered when making up your mind. Know the livescope is the best by far (not even close) but know that it comes with very steep price.

2. Maximize your HP on your outboard. If you can get the bigger boat, but that comes at the sacrifice of having max hp on your boat...go with the 18 foot and get the max hp rating.

3. Trolling motors, ive ran a motorguide tour cable steer, ive ran the powerdrives both v1 and v2, ive ran the terrova v1 and terrova v2, ive ran an edge and ive ran a fortrex, ive got multiple friends with ultrex's heres the straight dope.

The foretrex is the most reliable and best cable steer on the market...but and heres a huge huge but, it doesnt have ipilot. For us fishermen on the great lakes..thats a deal breaker. Until you realize the power of using spot lock and Auto pilot on an ipilot enabled trolling motor, you cant fairly comment on it.

The ultrex has had major major issues with the cable mechanism breaking on them leaving guys that have them without a trolling motor that steers on tournament day. Ive heard that the newer generation of them has fixed the issue, but I have heard absolutely nothing but complaints.

Here it is simply put, you fish the great lakes, the wind is really blowing and you want to cast a shoreline in a cross wind. Trust me you dont want to be dancing on your trolling motor foot pedal trying to constantly adjust for the wind. Furthermore, you get in some 3-4 foot waves, good luck running your footpedal in that.

Cable steer motors are designed for how the bass guys down south use em, and they are 100% the best option for doing that kind of fishing, electric steers suck when you are in the slop. 

My suggestion, if you can once again afford it, get the Garmin Force if you can. Its an electric steer with the responsiveness of a cable steer. Is both an 80lb and a 110lb brushless motor in a single package. If its too expensive, then keep it simple, cheap right down to the terrova and never look back. 

Get ipilot, the day you decide to go jig up some fish in some strong wind or current, youll be forever grateful you did it. 

Theres nothing, and i mean nothing that compares to spotting a fish on your unit and hitting anchor and dropping your bait right on their heads and leaving the technology to handle your boat while you worry about catching the fish.

Additional thought both motorguide and minkotta have been disappointing for me in regards to reliability...unfortunately in their respective price range, they are the only two players so you are basically screwed either way. I am hearing really really really bad stuff though about the motorguides and my visit to aikmans today to drop off our 10 year old powerdrive for service was troubling when the two guys in front of me were dropping off identical motorguides that were purchased in the last 4 months....yikes.

Outboards...dont go evinrude, they are out of business for a reason and i still see dealers trying to pawn them off on people. 

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Thanks 1