Rizzo

As I slooowly get hooked on Lake Ontario and salmon/trout fishing, I find myself scouring kijiji and marketplace for a used downrigger. Am I nuts to even consider a manual downrigger? Or do some guys swear by the manual and say don't bother with electric? I have used electric on a buddy's boat a few times, never tried manual. Are the type that clamp on to the gunnel far too lightweight (ie only good for a 3 lb ball). Or are there clamp on varieties that would actually suffice? Lots going one here...clearly I am open to suggestions!

go with electric it ups your game huge..... i spent 25yrs downrigging and trust me its well worth it....and i still have a ton of salmon gear and 2 big john captains pack riggers electric of course that i will be selling very soon as i live in kawarthas and do not salmon charter anymore 

• Like 1

I have both, Electric is the cats butt... yet manuals are smaller and lighter.

If you plan on really doing the down rigging go electric. If cost and time spent are concerns manuals are just as good.

one note if you plan on running heavy weights manuals will be a workout.   I use manuals on like Erie and when camping 5-8lb weights

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LeXXington said:

I have both, Electric is the cats butt... yet manuals are smaller and lighter.

If you plan on really doing the down rigging go electric. If cost and time spent are concerns manuals are just as good.

one note if you plan on running heavy weights manuals will be a workout.   I use manuals on like Erie and when camping 5-8lb weights

I don't have any trouble bringing a 16 lb Torpedo up from over a 100'.  But I am bigger than most guys.

Electric would be nice so that I could get the weight up and out of the way while playing the fish.  But I think I spent about $250 on a pair of brand new manuals.  I wasn't prepared to spend the money for a pair of electrics.

You can’t reel in a fish and raise a manual rigger at the same time. I fished Scotty manuals for 10 years and lost a lot of fish trying to do both. Walkers now. I wish they were Scotty electrics though. Walkers are fine but Scotty is nicer