Car plate sticker

glen

5 hours ago, dave524 said:

I made license plates back in the late 70's/80's when they were of hot dip galvanized steel 😃, no peeling in those days. Actually the place I worked at would precoat the usually white basecoat on a coil of steel and then slit it to the license plate width and ship the slit coils to Millbrook Correctional for further processing. Retired in 2008 as a slitter operator.

When were you released? Out early on good behavior?

Sometimes on weekends in there I felt like I was in prison Dave. I think we worked for the same company.  Especially in the summers of 81' and 90', I did 3 months in each year. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 6:55 PM, irishfield said:

Peeling plates are free to exchange. It started with a BE series and has gone exponential from there. Still no requirement to have a current annual sticker... enjoyed my free summer driving two classics!

I think that depends on the age of the plate.

16 hours ago, John Bacon said:

I think that depends on the age of the plate.

As I said, there is a series of letters that started the process change.. any plate forward of that is free to exchange if they peel. The new aluminum plates are junk.. even the $350 personal plates I paid for for my Bee. Those I'm told if they start to look scruffy I can have replaced for 10 bucks.

52 minutes ago, irishfield said:

As I said, there is a series of letters that started the process change.. any plate forward of that is free to exchange if they peel. The new aluminum plates are junk.. even the $350 personal plates I paid for for my Bee. Those I'm told if they start to look scruffy I can have replaced for 10 bucks.

Doesn't it have to less than five years old to qualify for free replacement?

32 minutes ago, irishfield said:

Possibly, but nothing I've heard before. Even if it was, would your prefer paying 10 bucks or the $300+ fine for an unreadable plate.

I seen a pure white one today. I said WTH, why they pick on me ? LOL

I will be painting the numbers and letters black. That should be good enough for now.

24 minutes ago, misfish said:

I will be painting the numbers and letters black. That should be good enough for now.

My sentiments exactly! I little bit of careful masking and a fine brush (i’m good with a brush) and good to go.

I saw  mine starting a few years  back and coated them with polyurethane, holding up well so far.  

2 hours ago, misfish said:

That is a crime as well.... you can't paint a plate. My buddy Tom got charged for that 30 years ago for repainting his letters Blue again on his front plate..

Edited by irishfield
  • Sad 1

Will they not come after you for lost years?  Nothing is free these days. 

I’m trying next week, licence, plates and heath card. Will do a screen shot of they don’t like Me. 

three cases would last me three years!!!! had a 12 since Christmas and still have 5. 

Edited by ketchenany

No way if you make it a full year "exempt" that they can ask for last years sticker fee.. did you drive. I have years and years of sticker validation "requests" for my old cars. Nobody has ever said "pay up" for all those years when finally buying a sticker. First time ever I've been legal driving with expired stickers! Company truck is due December.. no plan to renew it either. Old cars are due again in March.. will see were we're at, but doubtful I'll be buying. Leah's car is due in January.. not gonna happen..

Edited by irishfield

• 3 months later...
On 10/28/2020 at 7:13 PM, irishfield said:

No way if you make it a full year "exempt" that they can ask for last years sticker fee..

Looks like they are Wayne.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/are-expired-ontario-identification-and-licence-plate-stickers-still-valid-in-2021-1.5294530

Edited by misfish

I happened to do a multi-year renewal back just before the crap hit the fan (fall birthday). I’m glad it’s one thing I don’t have to be worried about in the midst of all this, and for that reason I don’t feel ripped off whether they collect fees for 2020, or not. It’s water under the bridge in my situation.

I'll take them to task on old cars... I didn't sticker them for 10+ years... then bought stickers for a year. Covid came along BEFORE my birthday in March, so if we weren't to go anywhere... I didn't buy a sticker, why would I. Now don't anyone point them to my FBook page out cruising!!!

That said, they didn't even send me a renewal notice for my company truck due Dec 31, 2020...so... I assume I'm good for another year for free..

They'll only be able to collect past licensing fees from people willing or afraid not to pay them. My 50 Chevy has been at the beauty spa (body shop) for the last 2 1/2 years. Why would I have bought a sticker for her while she was getting a face lift? LOL The only thing I have been paying for her is her insurance. Same as a buddy of mine he's had his 67 Ford Galaxie sitting on the sidelines for close to 30 years. Last year he bought a new plate and sticker for it (Chevy's are hers Fords are its LOL) and there wasn't a question as to why now after 30 years. After this is all over and done back to "normal" Ontario or the Febs will be taking a big enough bite out of us that I'm not offering up any cash that I don't have to. 

Dan.

So, here's a thing that happened to a buddy of mine a few years ago.... Buddy is a house framer who was working on a house in Toronto, he lives in the east GTA. Now, my buddy is a bit of a "rebel" if you will and decided many years ago that he had no intentions of buying his plate sticker every year. At the time of the "incident" he had not bought a sticker for the better part of a decade.

So, he is working in Toronto, framing a custom home. His work truck with all his tools and materials, in the driveway of the home... including the keys in the ignition and his wallet on the dash! (his feeling was that it was safe to do as there were three guys working the site and the truck was always in view by at least one of them.) so, mid-day he goes to get something from the truck and it's gone! No sign of the truck.

He calls the cops, gives a report on the phone, they won't even come to the site. He records the officar's contact info, calls his wife to come pick him up. A number of days go by, no call from the cops.

About five days later, he gets a call from a bar in Toronto, someone has turned in his wallet, would he like to pick it up? Yup, I am on my way. So he parks in a "Green P" parking lot close to the bar, goes in a retrieves his wallet. Walking back to the green P, he spots something that looks familiar... there it is, his truck siting in the parking lot with multiple parking violations on the windshield. Fortunately for him, he kept a "hide a key" under the front wheel well, starts the truck, pays the fees and is on his way. All tools and wallet in place! He called officer who took the original report and leaves a message that he found his truck. No response from the cops.

Fast forward a couple of months later, he's working on a job in Bowmanville, driving his truck north off the 401 to get some needed material. He notices an OPP coming the other direction and as he passes him, he notices in the rear view that the cop is now quickly doing a u-turn and following him. He gets his material and is heading south to get back on the 401 and see's two cop cars following him. As he reaches the on-ramp, there are three OPP cars parked on the side of the on-ramp. As soon as he hits the 401, all hell breaks loose! Cops everywhere, surrounding his truck. Next thing he knows, there's a cop with his gun trained on him from the driver side and he's screaming at him to exit the truck. He's now face down on the 401, in hand cuffs as the cops go through his truck. He keeps asking them what's what's going on, they tell his in no uncertain term to shut the*&%^ up!

After going through the truck and finding nothing, they finally tell him that the truck was reported stolen and they think he's the thief or trying to rip off insurance. He explained how the truck was found and reported to TPS. Boy were the cops disappointed. They eventually all began to leave and the last cop to leave says to buddy... uhm, your plate sticker is out of date. Buddy says to the cop, after all I just went through, your not going to give me a ticket are you? Cop says no, you've had a bad enough day.

That was at least 5 years ago and buddy still hasn't bought a new plate sticker! LMAO!

HH

• Haha 2

On 10/27/2020 at 8:48 PM, glen said:

I’m gonna wait it out.  My car is running fine without the sticker.  

Better the few hundred bucks in my jeans then theirs, always. They will get it eventually until then that 2% interest isn't going to make me rich but it makes me feel better. 

• Haha 1