Another good walleye spawn on Erie

OhioFisherman

Interesting Paul

It hasn’t been a surprise that the steelhead trout have begun to gather around the mouth of the Grand River to get ready for their spawning runs up the river, or that anglers casting from the short pier in Fairport Harbor are catching a few on black-on-black jigs and maggots suspended under a float.

I've noticed a dramatic ~change to Erie over the last few years. I have old waypoints in ~30 FOW for smallies that are now great walleye spots. A couple weeks ago I was 50-50 bass and walleye in one area. This is surprising because 2-7 years ago I would fish an entire season and not catch a single walleye. The bass that are competing with the walleye on these spots are big too! My first 5 smallies that day there was none under 4.5. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Interesting Paul

It hasn’t been a surprise that the steelhead trout have begun to gather around the mouth of the Grand River to get ready for their spawning runs up the river, or that anglers casting from the short pier in Fairport Harbor are catching a few on black-on-black jigs and maggots suspended under a float.

It seems the Grand is still a relatively low pressure steelhead river despite a good number of fish running all the way up to Paris. I've found a few dead chinook salmon in Brantford over the years too. 

Many people who have fished the river their entire lives have no idea either fish run up the Grand. 

Plenty of browns too if you know where to fish...

3 hours ago, ch312 said:

It seems the Grand is still a relatively low pressure steelhead river despite a good number of fish running all the way up to Paris. I've found a few dead chinook salmon in Brantford over the years too. 

Many people who have fished the river their entire lives have no idea either fish run up the Grand. 

Plenty of browns too if you know where to fish...

ch, there is a Grand River here too, about 40 miles east of Cleveland,  and that article was referring to the one here.

Brian, labor day was the 3rd rainiest day on record here and the temps  have been dropping pretty quickly since, some of our rivers are known for the fall steelhead runs. Not a lot of available trout fishing here, those are a big deal?

I've been out a couple times from Maitland where they were on fire last year and it's been stupid quiet. We have hit up lake Ontario more often and with success this year.

Last year we couldn't even get our riggers and dipsys set before we caught one or 2, they must have moved around!