Bow Fishing for Salmon in Port Hope 2020

PUMP KNOWS

Abstract

This history of the salmon in the Great Lakes describes the decline and extinction of the Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in Lake Ontario in the 1800's; the failure to establish, by salmon culture, permanent or sizable populations of Atlantic or Pacific salmon in any of the Great Lakes in 1867-1965; and the success of the plantings of coho (Oncorhynchus kisutch) and chinook salmon (O. tshawytsha) in the Great Lakes, in 1966-70 -- particularly in Lake Michigan. Despite plantings of 5 million fry and fingerlings from Lake Ontario stocks in 1866-84, the native Atlantic salmon in Lake Ontario became extinct in the late 1800's primarily because tributaries in which they spawned were blocked by mill dams. Plantings of 13 million chinook salmon and landlocked and anadromous forms of Atlantic salmon in Lake Ontario and the other Great Lakes in 1873-1947 failed completely. The first species to develop a self-sustaining population was the pink salmon (O. gorbuscha), which was planted in Lake Superior in 1956; however, it has not become abundant. A salmon fishery finally was established when 15 million coho salmon and 6 million chinook salmon were planted as smolt in the Great Lakes in 1966-70. In 1970, for example, 576,000 coho salmon (12% of those planted in 1969) were caught by anglers in Lake Michigan. Most weighed 5 to 10 pounds (2.3-4.5 kg). Sport fishing for salmon was fair in Lakes Superior and Huron, and poor in Lakes Erie and Ontario. By 1970, natural reproduction of coho, chinook, pink, and kokanee (O. nerka) salmon had occurred in some tributaries of one or more of the upper three Great Lakes. It is expected, however, that the sport fishery will continue to be supported almost entirely by planted fish.
Here's the link...
HH

Plant them and net pen them so they distribute well. Ban roe harvest and derbies to establish a mentality of assistance to the stocking by minimizing a thoughtless slaughter. Open up upper reaches of tributaries to allow salmon and rainbows and browns to  achieve at least a modicum of spawning success. There might even be a place for trying to replace alewives as the primary food source for salmonids in the Great Lakes (lake Herring would be one option as they provide food for salmonoids and people)). Non of this will ever happen of course. The MNR is run by people that really have a minimal understanding of their job, just like the rest of the pencil pushing goofs in our civil service. 

• Haha 1

Seems kind of an oxymoron that if there were no pacific salmon other than early seeding of some chinook and coho failed miserably. Pinks were not really all that successful until around mid 1950's,  so how can bow hunting for salmon other than Atlantics be recognized as something FN's did that far back.  Other than Atlantics, they were not there.

• Like 3

Fisherman is correct. the same could be said for snowmobiles, hunting rifles, power boats etc. I have met with the MNR on the subject of Atlantic/Pacific salmon/rainbow issues as well as the walkway conversion of Lake Ontario shorelines. I stand by my statement on them and on the rest of the gang at Queens Park and various other government locations.  The Feds are even worse in that the corruption is monumental.

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

Seems kind of an oxymoron that if there were no pacific salmon other than early seeding of some chinook and coho failed miserably. Pinks were not really all that successful until around mid 1950's,  so how can bow hunting for salmon other than Atlantics be recognized as something FN's did that far back.  Other than Atlantics, they were not there.

So you are saying that indigenous people should only be able to bow hunt Atlantic Salmon ? Not sure if I understand your rational ? 

I think a great many Canadians are sick and tired of the Native claims about nature and a lot of other things. The idea that the natives now or in the past were master conservationists are not based in fact. It's politicking plain and simple. They want money and resources and are fully prepared to sabotage the entire country to get them. You might remember a small group of Indians shut down the entire rail system of Canada just prior to Covid. All to sabotage resources getting to market, a sabotage that now has world shaking consequences as our allies in Europe are facing serious repercussions of gas not being available from reliable sources like Canada. It is not just the natives to blame, the dilatant posing as a PM is also to blame leading to my point re our government as a whole. 

58 minutes ago, msp said:

So you are saying that indigenous people should only be able to bow hunt Atlantic Salmon ? Not sure if I understand your rational ? 

Yes,  same as using tugboats pulling nylon nets for harvesting lake trout and white fish,  that was not part of the equation when they were subsistant harvesting over the long period.  Heck nylon wasn't even invented until 1939.   Same goes for using spotlights for night hunting.  

Pacific Salmon are found in headwaters of the streams in the west of Canada and the USA, without detrimental effects to either . You know, the place where the trout and salmon come from. In fact salmon carcasses actually FEED the trout and create the circumstances for flesh flies to be great trout lures.

I'll bide (Or hold my opinion) by the natives rights the day I stop seeing them selling walleye or whatever fish out of the trunks of their cars. I was so pissed at my dad because he was a regular customer of this one native guy. Dad was (He's passed now) a bigger problem then the guy selling the fish; he gave the guy an avenue for income.

Dan...

Edited by DanD
  • Like 1