Boat Top Speed

Musky Plug

3 minutes ago, aplumma said:

I really like the Ranger 350V it is one of the best riding bass boat I have had. I have quite a bit of weight on my pad of the boat with 3 batteries and the 2 fuel cells on board. The rebuilding of the boat with better seats and accessories did add some weight but it is well worth it. I am content to run at 35 MPH all day long because when you floor it you are burning 9/10th of a gallon a minute. I do like the fact that you can usually get ahead of a storm front if it is not moving to fast. 

Art

Hey Art, what seats did you put in your boat? I have a 487VS and considering just ordering new skins from Ranger.  

I have the same issue with added weight due to upgrading the boat. I have 4 batteries across the back and wish I could go to a 250hp! Love the hull though.

5 hours ago, aplumma said:

I really like the Ranger 350V it is one of the best riding bass boat I have had. I have quite a bit of weight on my pad of the boat with 3 batteries and the 2 fuel cells on board. The rebuilding of the boat with better seats and accessories did add some weight but it is well worth it. I am content to run at 35 MPH all day long because when you floor it you are burning 9/10th of a gallon a minute. I do like the fact that you can usually get ahead of a storm front if it is not moving to fast. 

Art

Them 'merican gallons don't last too long....try our big donkey imperial gallons they last much longer..🤣

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Hey Art, what seats did you put in your boat? I have a 487VS and considering just ordering new skins from Ranger.  

I have the same issue with added weight due to upgrading the boat. I have 4 batteries across the back and wish I could go to a 250hp! Love the hull though.

https://www.overtons.com/tempress-deluxe-bench-set-300614.html?cgid=helm-fishing-seats#start=1&cgid=boat-pontoon-seats%2Fboat-seats%2Fhelm-fishing-seats%2Ffolding-seats  These are the seats I put in. The seats on the 89 bolted to a fiberglass lid on the storage area below. I had to redue the brackets and pivots to make it work. It was well worth it because the 89 seats were 1/2 inch thick and snapped into place. These seats give you a hug as well as plenty of padding from the rouge wave. The driver seat can barely touch the trim on the throttle when tilted forward when it is in neutral. The center pee pad seat is actually more comfortable than you think and flipped down allows easy access to the rear casting deck. 

Art

1 hour ago, aplumma said:

https://www.overtons.com/tempress-deluxe-bench-set-300614.html?cgid=helm-fishing-seats#start=1&cgid=boat-pontoon-seats%2Fboat-seats%2Fhelm-fishing-seats%2Ffolding-seats  These are the seats I put in. The seats on the 89 bolted to a fiberglass lid on the storage area below. I had to redue the brackets and pivots to make it work. It was well worth it because the 89 seats were 1/2 inch thick and snapped into place. These seats give you a hug as well as plenty of padding from the rouge wave. The driver seat can barely touch the trim on the throttle when tilted forward when it is in neutral. The center pee pad seat is actually more comfortable than you think and flipped down allows easy access to the rear casting deck. 

Art

Nice. My seats are mounted to a fibreglass frame directly above the fuel tanks. I’d have to strip off the seating material and modify the frame to accept the new seats. Hmmm Just the skins are $500USD from Ranger. 

Very similar set up here, 2 batteries up front, starter batter in back.

2001 -1750 Crestliner Fishhawk, 115HP 2 stroke Merc  

I ran a 17P Aluminum 3 blade prop and with pretty much exactly the same load got 37-38 MPH at just over 5000 rpm. 

switch up to a 19P Aluminum 3 blade prop when I need to get somewhere fast and can WOT hit 42-43, same load in the boat. 

Everyday runs are around 3800 RPM at 23-25 MPH on the 19P as I'm not in a rush anymore

Borrowed a 19 SS 3 blade prop a few years ago and saw 2-3 extra MPH, thought I might have gotten more

going to a 21 everything falls apart for performance, sweet spot for me is 19

31 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

One “I love Canada” and you’re outta gas!!! ️ 

The good news is that I have 2 14 gallon fuel cells with a separate tank selector. I put 13 gallons in the left one and fish that one going out and use the 14 gallon tank to get back on. So far I haven't run out of gas yet. I am very happy that gas down here is in the $2.15 a gallon here so I can keep running my 2 stroke gas sucking pig of a motor. 

30 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Nice. My seats are mounted to a fibreglass frame directly above the fuel tanks. I’d have to strip off the seating material and modify the frame to accept the new seats. Hmmm Just the skins are $500USD from Ranger. 

Send me a picture of how your seats attached and I can tell you if it will adapt to yours as well. IF so I can send you photos of what I motified to get mine in. 

Art

• Like 1

A handy dandy prop slip calculator. Understanding the science of marine propellers isn't as difficult as it would seem, it's more difficult.  For me at least. Thank goodness I worked with good technical folk, they saved my butt a few times. 

https://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-slip-calculator/

• 1 month later...

I have a similar set up

Starcraft 168 Renegade DC with a 90Hp Etec.  I had me and a buddy on it on relatively flat water c/w 2 batteries, trolling motor, rods and tackle and I maxed out at 59kms/hr.......36.6 miles/hr.  I have the standard factory prop and have done nothing to the boat.  I measured it from my Lowrance HDS-7 and verified with my phone app.

From my understanding a 4 fin prop would be better out of the hole but you would loose a bit on the top end?

Edited by 410001661

I think I’ve got you beat Art 😄 My jet boat will eat through almost 14 gallons an hour of premium  at full throttle. 💸💸💸 Thank god it spends the majority of time on the trolling motor.

F3DB986A-C4E2-411B-8810-67F6DCC899CF.gif

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Musky Plug said:

After a long drawn out process, I have come to the conclusion that my top speed is being affected by the weight issue in the boat and possibly the overall design of the boat. I made a point to go out with just the gf for a ride and was able to get the boat up to 33mph. 

Ahhh the old treadmill...the ultimate in outboard performance

1 hour ago, Musky Plug said:

After a long drawn out process, I have come to the conclusion that my top speed is being affected by the weight issue in the boat and possibly the overall design of the boat. I made a point to go out with just the gf for a ride and was able to get the boat up to 33mph. 

Soooo, you and your buddy with all the equipment goes faster than you and your girlfriend, hope she doesn't read this, lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Ahhh the old treadmill...the ultimate in outboard performance

LOL 

18 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Soooo, you and your buddy with all the equipment goes faster than you and your girlfriend, hope she doesn't read this, lol.

No, me and the gf go faster. Myself and my buddy with gear topped out at 30.5mph. 

When I got my18 ft  Lund I took it out Nd had no problem get it to 50 mph. But it was in the break in period so sis keep it at that speed nor try to go faster

the next day my 9.9 kicker was ready so it was installed.  Then my electric and 3 big batteries 3 fishfinders all my fishing stuff and it never went over 43 mph again tried many props but it was just too heavy 

Edited by Terry