Lake Temagami

japper

Been going to Lake Tamagami for years, At least 3 or 4 weeks each year. Always get at least one monster every year, bass, Lakers, last year it was 25 lb pike. But for the love of all fish I cannot fine the pickerel in that lake. I fish primarily the NE arm. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for them on this lake.

Fished there a few summers years ago camping at the Prov.Park, we did well on a couple of shoals just SW of Ferguson Island but it was always an evening bite, 7 to 10 PM,  was always a few boats grouped together in a small area at prime time. Never did well on pickerel  during the day.

In all seriousness, it has become an invasive species smally lake, as you can catch them anywhere. But that said, the Pickeral are abundant despite what many think. Issue is, and what we have found in the winter, they have zero issue living in 70+ FOW or even deeper. I have numerous island neighbors that go out every night before dark and catch their limit on what ever rock pile they want to pull up on. I've watched it for 15+ years now and they still go out EVERY night so the fish are still there, as they (the neighbours) aren't getting any thinner!

My best fish are right off the dock! 6 PM in JUNE... 4 hours before sunset. Some buddies I've had up, have caught on a red and white spoon at high noon.. in SIX feet of water in Tetapaga Inlet. Winter time we're hauling exploded fish after fish out of 75FOW while trying to catch a nice Laker.

There is SOOOOO much structure on Lake Temagami, that  all normal fishing ideas go right out the window... 320 feet deep HERE>.. and then 9 feet deep just  6 feet forward.

Funny that you mention this.  I feel the same way about my success with the Pickerel.  We have fished the lake for 7 years almost exclusively for Lakers, however we do make some attempts at Pickerel and Pike.  I have invested many hours on the troll, bouncing, and jigging for those golden buggers with very little results.  Lots of after dark fishing for lakers and pickerel into the early morning hours.  No Pickerel.  That's just me.  There could be 5 boats around us catching eyes and I am quickly caught with my pants down wondering why the tree limb spooled with a ball of yarn and rock tied to it is not doing the trick.  Scratch head.  Toot and wonder where that sound just came from.  Scratch head again.  I dont mind or let it bother me.  It is a huge body of water for me to say that Pickerel are tough to find when I havent covered it all.  We have covered most central areas and all southern and through Cross, but have never ventured to the northern arms.  I expect to in the future.  The Temagami trip was set for next week, but we cancelled for Parry Sound.  Gonna have to wait until next year.  Love Temagami.  Such a beautiful place with or without the Pickerel.  Good luck!

Well if the weather would cooperate I'd be back on my dock, maybe late next week. As by then I'll have not much choice as I left the power on and the fridge full of, now spoiled, food.

Japper.. right out in front of Island 5.. right in the main boat channel.. there is a long oval hump that comes up to 12 FOW out of 80 FOW.. try there and if not there the green channel can off the SW end of their island. If not there.. try fishing off my dock! :D

Edited by irishfield
  • Haha 2