Kwik Fish lures, looking for,,,,,,,,,,,

misfish

On 9/4/2020 at 6:57 PM, Snidley said:

Looks like a new in box F4 Flatfish in bug bite. That's a killer right there. Tadpolies and a Fireplug too. Brian you have hit the motherlode

Think there are a few Benos, Lazy Ikes and maybe a Ping-A -T as well, quite the haul 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garnet said:

The Benos are incredible baits. They run right threw standing weeds.

Pretty much what my grand father had filled in his tackle box. He had so many. My pop the same. I need to look through his old stash and see what he has. I know most of them were the yellow with dots and frog pattern. Black and orange dots as well.

Sail was selling Kwikie Extremes and Hot Shots for $1.99 for almost all of '18 and '19. There might be a few still in those dump bins of $5.99 or $2.99 lures I seem to remember Fire Plugs too. For sure Joc at Angling OUTFITTERS in Woodstock has a wack of Flatfish, Kwickfish, Hot shots and I'd bet Tadpolies too. He wants big $$$ for everything there but he has the selection (on just about everything) and if you chat him up and buy in multiples you will find everything there is negotiable. 

Another great lure  type from the past is the Wiggle wart (BradsWigglers and Wordens Fat Fish are similar styles) Wee Wart, Steelie Wart and one of my all time favorites, Flat Warts. Like Hot Shots salmonoids hammer them really hard (I believe the vibration/noise makes them mad). Bagley used to make the killer Diving B Flat II. It's a balsa bait with a lexan lip at an extreme angle that makes the lure "thump" in the water very similar to the vibration of the larger Kwikfish. I've had the fish hammer it to the point  that all that the comes back is the lexan lip  You probably can't find them anywhere except ebay but you can get a similar effect by gently heating the lexan lip of a Rapala Shad Rap (the balsa one) and bending the lip to an extreme angle. Carefull with the heating part, the lexan bends easily with just a little heating and you don't want to weaken the lexan itself.

One last thing for those that don't know it, if you are in or near Woodstock Ontario do yourself a favor and drop in to Angling Outfitters. It is by far the best tackle shop in Ontario . It really qualifies as a tourist attraction for men, in my opinion.

10 hours ago, Snidley said:

Sail was selling Kwikie Extremes and Hot Shots for $1.99 for almost all of '18 and '19. There might be a few still in those dump bins of $5.99 or $2.99 lures I seem to remember Fire Plugs too. For sure Joc at Angling OUTFITTERS in Woodstock has a wack of Flatfish, Kwickfish, Hot shots and I'd bet Tadpolies too. He wants big $$$ for everything there but he has the selection (on just about everything) and if you chat him up and buy in multiples you will find everything there is negotiable. 

Another great lure  type from the past is the Wiggle wart (BradsWigglers and Wordens Fat Fish are similar styles) Wee Wart, Steelie Wart and one of my all time favorites, Flat Warts. Like Hot Shots salmonoids hammer them really hard (I believe the vibration/noise makes them mad). Bagley used to make the killer Diving B Flat II. It's a balsa bait with a lexan lip at an extreme angle that makes the lure "thump" in the water very similar to the vibration of the larger Kwikfish. I've had the fish hammer it to the point  that all that the comes back is the lexan lip  You probably can't find them anywhere except ebay but you can get a similar effect by gently heating the lexan lip of a Rapala Shad Rap (the balsa one) and bending the lip to an extreme angle. Carefull with the heating part, the lexan bends easily with just a little heating and you don't want to weaken the lexan itself.

One last thing for those that don't know it, if you are in or near Woodstock Ontario do yourself a favor and drop in to Angling Outfitters. It is by far the best tackle shop in Ontario . It really qualifies as a tourist attraction for men, in my opinion.

I may have caught more fish on those pre rapala wiggle warts than the rest of my crankbaits combined, they were killer lures for me.

20 hours ago, Snidley said:

Joc at Angling OUTFITTERS in Woodstock has a wack of Flatfish, Kwickfish, Hot shots and I'd bet Tadpolies too. He wants big $$$ for everything

Everything in Woodstock, is OVER PRICED. LMAO

Prices in Penatange ,are cheap. LMAO

• Like 2

If anyone else is still looking H Hardware in Angus usually has a few. The older guys on the saugeeen swear by the skunk pattern. I was there 1 Sun AM a few years back and caught a nice bow on the first cast!!! I have good luck with the Firetiger for splake. 

I thought I had a lot---maybe too many---but my numbers pale in comparison to Irish's 

Brian---If you had spent some time fishing with the old grumps in Angus you would have known that!!

Edited by SirCranksalot

3 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Brian---If you had spent some time fishing with the old grumps in Angus you would have known that!!

I used the skunk yesterday and had 3 hits. I know the old guys there. I use to be a very regular there in the 80,s. A few guys still alive and well there.

Bug Bite in flatfish, (Silver /Red dot in Kwikfish), frog in both Kwikies and Flats, Perch in Kwikfish, Red in both, Skunk in both,  and  in Kwikfish Extreme they make a glow in the dark version that is luminous white with a pinkish dot are my favorites for salmonoids. I bet there's lots of other colours that work well if you ran them. I know in Hotshot 35 Rattlers I have found Black/sparkle, Red/black dots or Red alone, Bubba (silver pink firetail) Silver Chartruse Green Firetail and even luminois glow and green firetail have all worked well. In Hot Shots the best colour I have used is actually a group of Blue/Silver Prizm, BlackSilver Prizm, and Black/Gold Prizm. I only have one 35 non rattler and I'm afraid to throw it but I've  got a bunch of 30 non rattlers and they all work really well. I use them back bouncing at the Whirlpool almost exclusively but I have a toon and the Kwikfish Extremes are very effective slow trolled because they dive much deeper than the regular Kwikfish/Flatfish so no need to lead with a sinker 8-10 inches up the leader..

I love talking about lures obviously, and all of these traditional lures will work and work well for Rainbows, Lakers, Browns, and Salmon of all stripes. The main reason I throw these baits at the Whirlpool is because they were bought for $2-$3 each and backbouncing at the whirlpool means losing lures at an atrocious rate. When I take the toon out at Bronte or Credit my go to lures are never these baits. In the dark I throw or troll J-13's that I have made into glow baits, Glow Lymans, Reef Runners made to glow, Rapala Tail Dancers in the Scatter Rap lip made to glow and even a Bass Pro Balsa Boogie with the bottom pained in glow paint.. They all work due to the glow paintjobs and the depth they go to as well as their action. I run them on 17lb. to 30lb fluro leader (the fluro for toughness rather than invisibility). Once the sun comes up I go to a much different formula. I believe that salmon, steelies and especially browns have excellent eyesight and they condition really fast. These traits lead me to adapt my approach dramatically. I drop the leader weight to 15lb luro and go down as low as down to 8lb fluro leader Here invisibility as well as toughness is important. If I'm running 15 or 12lb leader I will run Japanese lures like Jackal Squirrels, Squad Minnow, Lucky Craft Pointers Diving Pointers Slender pointers, Evergreen Sledges and Yozuri Hardcore and 3DS, 3DR minnows. These lures tend to be pricey at upwards of $20 each and even in the toon in open water you can get breakoffs or , even in salmon,  toothy bite offs .Not only are these lures silly expensive they are really hard to replace here in Canada so I'm careful with them and I would never be chucking them from piers  as an  example.  When I go down to 10llb./8lb  fluro I cheap out and go to Rapala Shad Rap RS, diving Husky Jerks and a lure I use for all species with incredible success, a Bass Pro Shops XPS floating  minnow in the 3 1/2" size. These are relatively cheap lures that are Chinese knockoff of a Yozuri/.Dual bait from the 1980's. They like Rapalas are easily replaceable and I don't cry over when I lose them. In salmonid lure fishing, in daylight, size matters  in lures and leaders . Lure quality with regard to realism,  diving depth, action  and scent or lack there of matter. In my experience, mainly in Lake Ontario, better quality lure selection, one  that avoids using what everyone else is throwing or trolling will result in better results. Details like scent,  applied to lures to attract and to mask human scent, all count IMO.

The final aspect to lure fishing for salmon, again in my opinion is timing your trips to maximize wind velocity (you want chop, rough is even better) water temperature (cool is good, cold is much better) and water clarity (stained is good dirty is better) . Finally all this is based on my use of lures exclusively for fishing and I feel it is good advise but I would also say that in my experience salmonids are also very unpredictable. Sometimes they are suicidal, will bite anything and are not playing by any of the parameters I outlined above. Other times you need dynamite or a cricket to catch or snag one( something that should be avoided at all costs). In the end getting out there frequently is the ticket to success, but the authorities are making ease of fishing, especially around Lake Ontario very difficult these days so trying your best is still a valuable approach to any angler looking for the unprecedented tug of a salmon or Steelhead. 

Edited by Snidley
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2020 at 9:43 AM, Headhunter said:

If you don't get shot gaining access to the property!

HH

Well I can say I did not get fired upon . Had my hands up high,walked slowly to the pick up spot, keeping one hand up I reached for the pot of gold,dropped off payment,double checked my surroundings, walked backwards to my truck with hands up way over my head. Once in truck,I speed off like I just left Ikea. LMAO

Dang, I forgot how sharp that S bend is. LOL

Thanks again Wayne :good:

SQUIRREL!!! Friday am. at Bronte. First cast with a Squirrel in the lake, which was rolly and eventually got rough (east wind)  I  landed a nice 17-18lb Chinnie. Then  landed 2 more and lost one on the Jackal. The lost one bent out a belly hook. It was an xx Owner but when they hit the belly hook as they do when they are still eating this happens a lot.  Also went 1 for 2 on the XPS minnow. Nicest fish came on the XPS which was an aprox. 20lb hen that was still basically silver.I think they are just starting at Bronte as did the other guys I talked to at the launch. I did try more traditional salmon lures like J13, J 11, J9 Rapalas as well as Shad Rap RS and  Nada for them.

3 hours ago, misfish said:

Well I can say I did not get fired upon . Had my hands up high,walked slowly to the pick up spot, keeping one hand up I reached for the pot of gold,dropped off payment,double checked my surroundings, walked backwards to my truck with hands up way over my head. Once in truck,I speed off like I just left Ikea. LMAO

Dang, I forgot how sharp that S bend is. LOL

Thanks again Wayne :good:

Absolute Bull Joe... I have it all on the camera hard drive! Well other than the S turn, wouldn't be the first fool to be pulled out of the swamp! LMAO

Thanks Brian! Sorry I couldn't have you up to the house to play "cars", but as you know I have a wife that can catch the flu walking through an empty mall and we continue to be a "bubble" of two. Here's a teaser of what you missed and what I was doing while you were giving me money! LOL

beerearaxlesinkystuff 017.JPG

37 minutes ago, irishfield said:

..and I still stink from that whale oil.. Good thing I put your hooks in the drop box first or you'd never catch anything!  LOL

LOL

I thought you also untangled them ? Dang, hooked myself more then I have hooked fish this fall. LOL

• Like 1

I see that todays promo at Fishandsave.com has Wordens Mag Lip 4" trolling plugs on sale for $3.59 USD. These ones are red and they have 17 of them for sale. I've ordered from them in the past and received good service and great prices ($1.99 USD for Hot Shots, Kwikies, Wiggler Warts, bags of Yamamoto soft baits and Lucky Crafts for a little more scratch). I would be careful to check with shipping cost before completing an order if you are Canadian since that can cost as much as the order itself if you are not careful. I have NO financial relationship with these guys but I have used them in the past with no complaints.

I saw a TV fishing show where the guys trolling he Niagara Bar were using Mag Lips for springtime Chinnies and Lakers and they hammered them on those baits The guys were from Michigan and Oregon respectively and the west coast guy was a buddy of Buz Ramsey, a famous steelhead/salmon angler from the west coast He swore by Mag Lips which are like an enhanced Flat Fish but he was also sponsored by Wordens. He did another unusual thing in my mind. He washed the he lures with each catch and as a cleaning agent he used Lemon Scent Joy dish detergent. Don't think you can get it here but I've always believed that fish did not like citrus smell at all. Clearly I am wrong because these guys caught a ton of both Lakers and Salmon and they were 20lb plus fish in the springtime, something i would have bet was impossible.