Lyman lure substitutes?

Hack_Fisherman

With new supply being cut off/unavailable, and used prices being unrealistic, are there any companies producing something similar?

My Brother and I have been trying our luck for chromes on Lake O and Huron and I would like to start picking up Lyman type lures. But there’s a LOT of other fishing stuff I want and need and $50-75+ each is a no from me. 

Not going to find many chrome salmon this time of year on Lake O.   You'll wanna be fishing staggers in close.   After dark is definitely the ticket.  J13s, big Moonshine glow spoons etc.   Your best bet for the Lymans will be used or just buy some  Luhr Jensen JPlugs.

• Thanks 1

Fishing World had new Lymans last time I was there. They were plastic though. That makes them similar to J plugs or Moonshine Lyman style plugs. Like their spoons the Moonshines really glow and glow for a long time. A firm called Tomic also makes a Lyman style plug. Theirs are plastic or a composite material and are big on the left coast. if you are near Owen Sound you could try Fletchers Sports if he's not dead yet. He was an old dude but I've even bought lures off of his ceiling in the past. The lure was a firetiger jointed Bagley  minnow that is a killer Chinnook bait

• Thanks 1

You can pick up Best Lure Co. plugs.  They are Canadian made and pretty much a complete knock off of a lyman, and they are wood not plastic. Most of the Lake Huron and Georgian Bay Area shops (what’s left of them) carry them.  Watson’s in Owen Sound has them for sure.  I have used them a fair bit mixed in with my Lyman originals and they run just as well.  I have one stairway best lure that‘a got well over 20 matures on it and the paint is tired but still holding up well!  I have a box full of Lymans and I like em but I’ll tell you I’d never pay $30-$50 for one since they came out with these knock offs!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Snidley said:

if you are near Owen Sound you could try Fletchers Sports if he's not dead yet. He was an old dude but I've even bought lures off of his ceiling in the past. 

Mr. Fletcher passed away over 2 years ago.  The shop is closed unfortunately.  It was a unique place!

Edited by porkpie

Sorry to hear about Mr Fletcher. I used to buy a key that opened a pad lock to a cow field that led down to Montgomery rapids on the Notty every year from him. Now that was a circus for sure, particularly on Labour Day weekend. If you got there at sunup on a weekday when our kids used to go to school in September it could be epic  J-13s and Mepps #4 used to be the ticket there They were going to turn that cow field into a lux housing community but I'm told it got nixed by the authorities. Lucky for those rich guys because that spot is a bugfest in summer

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Snidley said:

They were going to turn that cow field into a lux housing community but I'm told it got nixed by the authorities. Lucky for those rich guys because that spot is a bugfest in summer

Guess I should take a pic for ya to see whats happening now. Not going to be good IMO.

Meegs if you are making these from scratch i have a suggestion. I have the Moonshine version of this style plug. It's plastic so IMO it's not exactly the same but one aspect of the lure is superior. Like the Moonshine spoons the glow paint on it glow's literally for hours. It would be well worth your time to look into glow paint technology for a supplier that can provide the longest glowing paint possible. In many cases the length of time the paint glows for is much more important that the intensity or brightness of the paint because many of us believe that glow lures work best when the glow is subtle as opposed to super bright. When trolling it would be good to have confidence that the plugs you have down are in fact glowing even half an hour after you put them out which is not the case with Lymans, or J-plugs or Tomics.

One other thing is that many trollers for Walleye and salmon have been using is UV paint. There's a guy in Grimsby that paints Husky Jerks and some other walleye lures and gets double the money for them at retail. I have several UV painted Husky Jerks and Fat Fish that definitly catch salmon whether it's the paint or not I can't be sure but the lures themselves caught this fisherman and for you that's the goal.

Edited by Snidley

I’ve got a glow that lasts for hours!!!!   Supost to be 12 hours but keeps a good charge for afew hours.    I generally made them for myself and afew others.   Don’t like the new ones.    Don’t want to pay 25$ each.   Don’t like j plugs.   Lol.  And not a fan of the moonshine ones, but I fish g bay almost exclusively during the open water.  

72DD2FD7-14CE-4BC1-BEDE-3AC8168763EB.jpeg

577B0518-12EE-4EF9-8FB6-B043BF026D11.jpeg

• Like 5

James, you making Kwik fish baits ? LMAO

Sweet lures as always pal.

Sorry didnt not get back to you about the fish head paints. Will be in touch soon.

Edit to add, would the small version of those work for hot shoting ?

Edited by misfish

22 hours ago, Meegs said:

I’ve got a glow that lasts for hours!!!!   Supost to be 12 hours but keeps a good charge for afew hours.    I generally made them for myself and afew others.   Don’t like the new ones.    Don’t want to pay 25$ each.   Don’t like j plugs.   Lol.  And not a fan of the moonshine ones, but I fish g bay almost exclusively during the open water.  

these look awesome.  Any for sale?

On 9/10/2020 at 1:42 PM, Meegs said:

Are you planning to sell these on your site?  I didn't see them there.