Jump to content

No Americans


tomO

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Hmmm- was wondering the same thing.

I don't think it's fair to ask someone to leave money on the table like that.  Rental cottages were in huge demand this year and as in all markets high demand raises prices.  So if the going rate this summer is $2,000 a week why should someone ask only $1,000 a week "because 'Rona"?  Unless you can provide examples where you sold stuff cheaper or took a pay cut, it's hard to tell @captpierre he should take a haircut no? (rhetorical question not trying to pick a fight)

 

Edited by Dutch01
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Dutch01 said:

I don't think it's fair to ask someone to leave money on the table like that.  Rental cottages were in huge demand this year and as in all markets high demand raises prices.  So if the going rate this summer is $2,000 a week why should someone ask only $1,000 a week "because 'Rona"?  Unless you can provide examples where you sold stuff cheaper or took a pay cut, it's hard to tell @captpierre he should take a haircut no? (rhetorical question not trying to pick a fight)

 

Agreed. I wasn’t going to respond initially. But I’m glad you did. It’s not a staple that I’m selling. Fuel, food. Rental apartment. .  It’s a holiday. It’s rediculous to not charge what the market will bare.  It sold on AirB&B within hours of posting.  Are we turning into a socialist state ? 🤪 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2020 at 1:21 PM, Garnet said:

I can tell you the sales for fishing tackle are insane. The number of new anglers is threw the roof.

The a n t i s lost big this year.

I was in Sail and it looked like they were going out of business.. empty shelves in the fishing department. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Few things I have noticed this summer:

Crazy amount of campers, boaters and RV's on the highway (considering no US travellers, limited out of province travellers) going to the cottage and even on our drive from Thunder Bay to Sioux Lookout 

Bass Pro and Sail were picked clean when it came to fishing and camping gear

Doing a few small kayak trips locally I have noticed more people out than previous summers even though many parks are offering reservations

Spending time on the water at the cottage I saw more fisherman out than I have in the past 3 summers combined 

 

On the flip side I have noticed many for lease or going out of business signs in smaller, local main streets  which is very sad.  

Chatting with a few different outfitters I know that many are in tight this year and may not be able to survive another summer without American guests

Strange times indeed.  Hope everyone can stay safe and where possible buy local

Cheers

Andrew

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2020 at 11:43 AM, captpierre said:

Agreed. I wasn’t going to respond initially. But I’m glad you did. It’s not a staple that I’m selling. Fuel, food. Rental apartment. .  It’s a holiday. It’s rediculous to not charge what the market will bare.  It sold on AirB&B within hours of posting.  Are we turning into a socialist state ? 🤪 

Like I said, there was no disrespect, but was curious . I get what you did, but really,you should of replied personally. I am sure you do not need a body guard Dutch01. LMAO . :angel:

Here is one that really caught my attention today, and wish I could of ran up on the car and stopped them. Filled up at Costco and there it was, a car pulling away with South Carolina plates. How the hell did they get through ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2020 at 11:04 AM, Dutch01 said:

Unless you can provide examples where you sold stuff cheaper

Lets see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

 

Sold 2 newer electric trolling motors for half their price the past month. Even THOUGH, there was no stock to be had anywhere . Maybe I should of stuck to high ? LOL

So ya, I sold for less and got a 30lb for well 1/3 the price of new on a trade.

 

I am good with myself ,with these transactions. 👍

 

Big believer in KARMA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're a better man than most then. 99% who want to know what to sell something for look at comparables on Kijiji and set their price accordingly.

I don't know anyone (other than you) who then discounts their ask because of hard times. If you do, and that makes you happy, good for you (sincerely).

I'm with captpierre on this one. Asking market value, whatever that market is right now, is reasonable and logical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, misfish said:

Like I said, there was no disrespect, but was curious . I get what you did, but really,you should of replied personally. I am sure you do not need a body guard Dutch01. LMAO . :angel:

Here is one that really caught my attention today, and wish I could of ran up on the car and stopped them. Filled up at Costco and there it was, a car pulling away with South Carolina plates. How the hell did they get through ?

Brian, I am not positive exactly how our system works from state to state, but I think some require you to get plates from their state if you are going to be there for 90 days? Could it have been a snow bird returning home?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2020 at 12:35 PM, gordy28 said:

Few things I have noticed this summer:

Crazy amount of campers, boaters and RV's on the highway (considering no US travellers, limited out of province travellers) going to the cottage and even on our drive from Thunder Bay to Sioux Lookout 

Bass Pro and Sail were picked clean when it came to fishing and camping gear

Doing a few small kayak trips locally I have noticed more people out than previous summers even though many parks are offering reservations

Spending time on the water at the cottage I saw more fisherman out than I have in the past 3 summers combined 

 

On the flip side I have noticed many for lease or going out of business signs in smaller, local main streets  which is very sad.  

Chatting with a few different outfitters I know that many are in tight this year and may not be able to survive another summer without American guests

Strange times indeed.  Hope everyone can stay safe and where possible buy local

Cheers

Andrew

 

 

It's probably a lot easier for Canadians to " wing it " and find places to stay without hordes of tourists from other countries to compete with? It's been a long time for me to make it up there, but I still recall having to make reservations and leave a deposit to be sure I could get the weeks I wanted for the next year, especially during peak summer months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

Brian, I am not positive exactly how our system works from state to state, but I think some require you to get plates from their state if you are going to be there for 90 days? Could it have been a snow bird returning home?

May have been a Cdn citizen who had been living in the US for a while. Or, as of lately, Americans with immediate family are allowed to visit at least in certain circumstances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

You're a better man than most then. 99% who want to know what to sell something for look at comparables on Kijiji and set their price accordingly.

I don't know anyone (other than you) who then discounts their ask because of hard times. If you do, and that makes you happy, good for you (sincerely).

I'm with captpierre on this one. Asking market value, whatever that market is right now, is reasonable and logical.

I price to sell. I want things gone and well,I look for deals too. 👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, misfish said:

I price to sell. I want things gone and well,I look for deals too. 👍

Right on Mr B. When I sold my house in 2004 I had a guy come in and said you can’t ask that? This is what is worth! I call another and we hit a “market value”. For the area. The sign went up at 1 pm, It sold at 10 pm, asking price! 30 thousand more than the first guy that wanted the listing. 
if the price is right, things sell fast, gouge and you own it. But then these days I see prices going up because to the “Heath excuse” to that is wrong. Yes it cost more with safety concerns but Some businesses take advantage.

Today I went to buy a box out peel and stick tiles, need for a back plash in the laundry room, 10 tiles to the boxI need 13. Find a few loose ones on the shelf and take 3. At the cash at HD she takes the loose tiles away from me. We can’t sell them loose they have no bar code. Why? we send them back for a credit. figure out price per tile? NO! 

I did not believe it. So if I needed 3 more I have to buy a box, and they have to pay to ship them back and end up in the garbage anyway. 
I will take this a bit further up the ladder on Monday. We are a country of waste. 

And to boot at another HD Store when I asked for them, the house of ‘orange guy’ tells me we had lots and dumped them today! So where are they going? Shipped back or dumped? total waste!!!!
 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...