No Americans

tomO

We have great friends from Pennsylvania who come up every year and a small group of us holiday together on Nipissing and we sure did miss them this year.

Hopefully things get back to normal next year.

Edited by lew
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Whopper said:

Northwestern Ontario has tàken a beating this year with the border closed.

I hope your family is well Whopper.

6 hours ago, tomO said:

I was just curious how things have been with out the influx of American vacationers this summer. 

I say this with all due respect to our south of the boarder friends here .

Until the USA gets a grip on this virus, there is no way I hope, our side will allow the boarder to open for friendly travel.  This virus  is not a joke .

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

For 24 years I worked on tourism advertising to bring our American Friends and many other nations here. I’m sure that this situation has not helped the businesses that depended on that income. Probably has closed some of them.

Hopefully things get under control south of the border and we can welcome them back in the next year. 
We do need to protect out own at this time.

• Like 3

As much as I would love to be up North right now, it is not a good time for our border to be open. I do hope that all of my friends make it through this with the least amount of harm and discomfort. I also wish all of the Lodges get enough support from Canadians to make it through and be open for business next season. 

Art

• Like 10

1 minute ago, woodenboater said:

I'd imagine LOTW is probably hurting pretty bad. probably more so than other lakes and lodges in Ont.

All of Northwestern Ontario lodges and outfitters have taken a big hit from the border being closed. Over 90 percent of their business comes from south of the border. Don't want to get in a pissing match but from what I understand they are getting very little help from the government.

Been going to that area the last 14 years and I really miss it.

I sit in on weekly TIAO meetings: yes, the Northern outiftters/lodges/marinas and Indigienous tourism operations have taken a beating this year because upwards of 90% of their business is from south of the border.  The structure of the early financial aid didn't work well for those businesses and they consequently had a tough time taking advantage of the boom in intra-provincial business that more southern cottage country experienced. Something will have to be done to help those folks out or we will lose 1000s of small, seasonal businesses.

• Like 1

There is certainly no wage subsidy when it's a Husband and Wife team running a lodge/business and trying to keep their head above water... nor are the loans really as easily available as fictitiously presented. Trust me;... and many others that are in a similar "boat" !

I was at a lodge on the French in July that was booking up decently for the fall. He said one of the others was was nearly closed due to most of is business being American patrons. 

I hope that most of the lodges like this were able to rebook with Canadians to see the season through. 

Seems like everyone north of the border was so hungry to get outside this year after the lockdown. Ive never seen so much boat traffic (around my area anyway)

I suggest lodge owners start advertising to get as many Canadian bookings for next year just in case

5 minutes ago, captpierre said:

I’ve been renting my cottage easily on AirBnB for ridiculous amounts

Respect here in my post but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I hope I am reading this wrong . Your saying, you are using this pandemic as a dollar gain in your pocket ? You bumped your normal fee ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MJIG, the letter you posted really does reflect the way all of our American friends and family view this area of Canada! It is a shame the US President could not even "fake" a little respect for Canada though!

All my life, I have been a huge fan of the US and travelled there extensively. I was looking forward to even more travel south of the border once this whole virus calms down and we settle into retirement. I am struggling with those thoughts now and truly hope this Tyrant is DE-throned! Sorry for the political rant!

• Like 5

Well at least the Lakes around Pasha Lake will get a break this year. Imagine my surprise when a few years ago we drove up about 50 km from the highway to discover a couple dozen Vehicles parked at a lake that is normally deserted.. it was as if we were in southern Ontario.. that lake could use a year or so to recover..as for pasha the owner stayed in the US and has locals running it this year..probably at a very reduced capacity because not many people from southern Ontario will travel that far..