Pigeon Report

Rizzo

Well it has been a while since I posted a fishing report. The summer has seen short day trips to Lake Ontario as I try to figure out the salmon/trout thing. Although that has been a blast, my "first love" is still musky fishing. When our planned trip to Myrtle Beach got cancelled, the suggestion was made by family to head to Pigeon Lake. I was not going to argue with that decision! Winds were big and the floating weeds were plenty. Thank goodness for rod holders that can get those tips down in the water. Since it was a family vacation, fishing was not the primary activity. However, the muskies were on and we  were able to catch a bunch over the course of the week. Each time I went, I took a few passengers along. Since they were all newbies, trolling was the way to go. Managed to get a few people onto their first (and second, third and fourth fish). One of the nicest fish came as I was out with my 2 oldest boys...a special moment!

pigeon 2020.png

Pigeon with boys 2020.png

• Like 9

3 hours ago, glen said:

Nice clean long fish.  The water looks pretty calm.  Now I want to go.  

oh the water was not calm for most of the week! It was bumpy boat ride most times we went out. Luckily we did have the odd moment when the water layed down...then you could actually get the boat on plane to get to destination.

21 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Awesome fish........and also nice to see a fishing report! Being with your boys with especially rewarding!

Yes they have been on board in the past for some typical Pigeon fish (38-40 inches) but to get a big slob for the first time was extra special. Other than their cousin's shadow blocking out part of the fish we got one of those epic photos too. 

haha. We all know musky fishing....all those people will soon be discouraged and swear to never go back to Pigeon. Pretty sure I made that oath myself once a couple years back. 3 of us fished Pigeon for 2 days solid and went 0 for 1. That's the way it goes sometimes.

52 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

haha. We all know musky fishing....all those people will soon be discouraged and swear to never go back to Pigeon. Pretty sure I made that oath myself once a couple years back. 3 of us fished Pigeon for 2 days solid and went 0 for 1. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Every time I fish Pigeon I always watch the other person with me catch one.  I know going in that I’m the net guy lol.

10 minutes ago, LostAnotherOne said:

Every time I fish Pigeon I always watch the other person with me catch one.  I know going in that I’m the net guy lol.

based on your name...not sure I want you as a netman.😁 Have had too many partners poking muskies in the face with the net. Thankfully, I don't usually take pictures anymore, so the boatside release is fine by me (as long as I have seen the fish and know it isn't a personal best!)

25 minutes ago, LostAnotherOne said:

this is why i havent fished pigeon in a few years, Im 5 for 5 on musky days there, even trolling with multiple people in the boat, ive never been skunked. Cant say the same for the people ive been with, and they are far better musky fishermen than me. My luck has to run dry at some point right? Thats part of the reason ive probably been skunked every single time I try for musky on G bay. Ive caught 1 mid 30's fish in about 5 days of fishing now lol.

Need to give it a run hard this fall though, its time for a real one.

19 minutes ago, LostAnotherOne said:

That lure will now be in my tackle box soon.  Thanks Lew

You won't be sorry for adding it to your box, but try trolling it at different distances from your boat, even real close, like 5' back of the transom and you may be very happy you did.

2 minutes ago, lew said:

You won't be sorry for adding it to your box, but try trolling it at different distances from your boat, even real close, like 5' back of the transom and you may be very happy you did.

Will try that.  Any change from how I fish the Kawartha's will be beneficial.  I usually use big spinner baits and did well casting with them the last few years.  Not so much with the bucktails anymore.  Was looking for something I could troll deeper water with and hopefully that lure recommendation works.  Tried several different large cranks over the years but no success.