A New Venture

Spiel

I was asked to step out of my comfort zone on a project unlike anything I have ever attempted, but with the help of a skilled artisan/carver/painting friend I'm well on my way to getting this custom fly in Brook Trout rod assembled.

whiteproject4.jpg

BT1.jpg

BT2.jpg

whiteproject7.jpg

BT4.jpg

BT5.jpg

• Like 6

You have special skills there Spiel. I'm not sure what you are building but I know it will be great when you are finished. The most expensive rod I have was around 100 bucks and I won that in The Stelco Fishing Club draw many, many years ago so I'm not a customer but an admirer. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

You have special skills there Spiel. I'm not sure what you are building but I know it will be great when you are finished. The most expensive rod I have was around 100 bucks and I won that in The Stelco Fishing Club draw many, many years ago so I'm not a customer but an admirer. 

OI If I have it right that's the butt section of a fly rod in Speckled Trout pattern. You can see where the reel mounts in the bottom.

Spiel I'm just curious as to that wire running through. Is it just for hanging? Lovely work btw.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smitty55 said:

OI If I have it right that's the butt section of a fly rod in Speckled Trout pattern. You can see where the reel mounts in the bottom.

Spiel I'm just curious as to that wire running through. Is it just for hanging? Lovely work btw.

Thank you Sir.

Yes the wire is just for hanging after clear coating.

And the rod is a light 2 piece spinning rod, the reel seat and the fore grip were made to appear to be seamless in design.

12 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

A spinning rod. I would be afraid to use it in case I scratch the thing. It was the wire that threw me too Smitty. 

Chris, I ran into Jim McK*&$ a few weeks back. He said to say Hi. He hasn't changed much. I think you may remember him from our office.  

I remember him well John, I even had opportunity to train his daughter Sarah some years later in the Plate Mill cranes. Very nice young lady.

I'm experimenting with a new coating on the reel seat, it's used on Mag Rims so I suspect (hope) that it is very durable.

15 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Beautiful Spiel. Did you mount the part in the cross slide so you could use the chuck to rotate the form cutter?

Thank you and yes, cross slide with a vertical riser.

• 2 weeks later...