GPS/Fishfinder Install

John

just curious John.

have you already purchased the units or are you still in the market. Is there a particular reason you are gung ho on Lowrance vs Humminbird or Garmin?

I personally would recommend running something other than lowrance if you dont consider yourself "technically savy" The Helix series by humminbird is about as plug and play as you can get. Including their bone stock settings.

Thanks guys. It's my first experience with a glass boat. With my previous Princecraft Pro I installed myself it was an easy project with easy access to the wiring bundle and lots of room to put a Ram mount. A little nervous with this one..🙂

15 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

And switch to Yamaha too. LMAO

I agree with Demmery, give Anglers Outfitters a call.

Also, I just checked out Natural Sports at 1572 Victoria St.N  Kitchener and they do installations. Closer to home for you.

It's an I/O but maybe I'll get a Yammy kicker...lol. Thanks, tried a few locally but they are into mid Sept. I have a good recommendation about 45 min away so booked it in with them. Was originally going to put the transducer inside the hull but was talked out of it.

18 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

just curious John.

have you already purchased the units or are you still in the market. Is there a particular reason you are gung ho on Lowrance vs Humminbird or Garmin?

I personally would recommend running something other than lowrance if you dont consider yourself "technically savy" The Helix series by humminbird is about as plug and play as you can get. Including their bone stock settings.

Those that know me know that I am not a super serious fisherman. I like to get the gear out now and again, but I like cruising around . I mainly use the GPS and some of the structure settings. My previous Humminbird 9 series was a great unit but had layer after layer of settings that being an old fart just confused the hell out of me. I wanted something decent but plug and play, smallish and simple to use. Did some research and decided that a couple of units would do the job. I considered the Helix, but went with the Lowrance Hook2 7". It was simple, had decent ratings and the price at Sail was right🙂

No really Gung Ho on any maker, however Humminbird/MinnKota was a customer of mine for many years....

Edited by John

those hook units are good to go. The HDS is a whole different ball game. Hence my question. Garmins can be a little funky as well and take getting used to. The helix humminbirds read fantastic imaging with bone stock settings. Basically hold the view button and decide what you want to see. Plus you get an ice fishing flasher when you buy one.

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

those hook units are good to go. The HDS is a whole different ball game. Hence my question. Garmins can be a little funky as well and take getting used to. The helix humminbirds read fantastic imaging with bone stock settings. Basically hold the view button and decide what you want to see. Plus you get an ice fishing flasher when you buy one.

It essentially came down to price between the two. The Hook2 7 was on sale at Sail ..lol for under $600. The Helix 7 was approaching $800. Time will tell if my choice was a good one...

On 8/19/2020 at 3:57 PM, misfish said:

Maybe porkpie can help out. He is pretty local to you John .

I'd love to, but I can't bring myself to put holes in another guys boat.  John, I've been running an Elite ti as my second unit on my big boat for  3 years.  It's an exceptionally easy to use sonar, and has some pretty unreal 2D, side and down isn't too shabby either.  I also have a bird Helix, and it works great on the ice and not bad on my tin boat, but it's just not as good as the Lowrance.  I don't know where you'd go for an install as I do my own stuff, but I'm a hack and not nearly as fussy because my boat is 10 years old.  I would definitely mount a sonar board.  It makes fiddling with getting the right setting dead easy with limited damage to the hull.  Maybe the angler outfitter guy?  Great shop if you can get past the owners sarcastic attitude to everything ;)  

2 hours ago, LeXXington said:

No photo description available.

Just a few things for you to add to your new boat!

More electronics than the Apollo space capsule and they made it to the moon and back on less than a Commodore 64.  Probably more wires than Ma Bell would like to have.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fisherman said:

More electronics than the Apollo space capsule and they made it to the moon and back on less than a Commodore 64.  Probably more wires than Ma Bell would like to have.

A lot of electronics for chasing yella bellies,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Haha 2

On 8/21/2020 at 12:14 PM, Fisherman said:

But no gevirdilator?

• Haha 1

Well, dropped off the boat this morning at Bay City Marine in Hamilton. I was fairly picky as to how and where I wanted the screen and the transducer mounted. As it's a new to me boat I also wanted a basic check up and make sure all was A1. She passed with flying colours (colors for my 'merican friends). Picked her up around 3 and was very impressed with the install and how everything was as I had asked. Price was as I had expected 😵 but don't mind paying for quality work. Kudos to BCM for a job well done!!

• Like 2

On 8/21/2020 at 9:56 AM, LeXXington said:

No photo description available.

Just a few things for you to add to your new boat!

Jesus Paul, how do you see where you are going? By the time I figured out how to use all that stuff I would need a few scotch's and a lie down!😉

Edited by John
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Loonietoon said:

John you should have let me know we could of done coffee or beer only 5 min away 🙂:thumbsup_anim:

That would have been awesome. My aging brain lets me down now and again. Next time.

• Haha 1